• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Game Is About Glory Podcast

I enjoy listening to the pods, loads of plus points.

Constructive criticism incoming: try not to talk over each other so much; often when one of you is making a point, they end up rushing to get it out because someone else is interjecting but..but..but..but..but..but..but and then make some small joke or comment which derails the deeper point. Even sometimes someone will interrupt just to say "I agree!". Give people space to make a point, think a bit deeper and make a rounded point. That is my tuppence, please take it in good faith, I couldn't do better I'm sure.

It’s funny you make this point, as I picked up on it this week too. However, I interpreted as the aforementioned ‘agitation’. I feel everyone is pretty good at NOT doing this on the whole, and put it down to everyone being somewhat shellshocked and literally struggling to process what they had just seen in the moment.
@Bullet ....we accept any feedback good or bad so keep it coming. Even if it's really bad we're old enough, thick skinned enough and holistic enough to take it the right way.:D

We do make a rod for our own back by doing records quite close to the end of matches (especially on Sundays), so our thoughts and initial reactions can be a bit scattered and unfiltered. @milo does a stellar job at editing, but to get the records out asap has cut back on being as fussy (besides, it is very time consuming and he is doing it in his own free time)

Also you have to remember we are doing all this via zoom (or something similar). So occasionally connections aren't always perfect. Furthermore I'm sure we'd step up another level if we did this all in a room altogether, and that touches on @DaveT316 point. We'd love one day to do a record all huddled around a corner of a pub or even in the stadium pre and post game.

It’s funny you make this point, as I picked up on it this week too. However, I interpreted as the aforementioned ‘agitation’. I feel everyone is pretty good at NOT doing this on the whole, and put it down to everyone being somewhat shellshocked and literally struggling to process what they had just seen in the moment.

I am currently in the Netherlands for a bit with varying internet/lag time. That is part of the reason...but you've also picked up on the biggest point; we were all shocked and wanted to reflect that.

Milo will be hosting this week too as I am traveling back from Anfield, but I'll still be on the pod haha...

On a meet up, prob not until the new season as we are not all together for a while, but when wr do, join us for a pint!

@Bullet ....we accept any feedback good or bad so keep it coming. Even if it's really bad we're old enough, thick skinned enough and holistic enough to take it the right way.:D

We do make a rod for our own back by doing records quite close to the end of matches (especially on Sundays), so our thoughts and initial reactions can be a bit scattered and unfiltered. @milo does a stellar job at editing, but to get the records out asap has cut back on being as fussy (besides, it is very time consuming and he is doing it in his own free time)

Also you have to remember we are doing all this via zoom (or something similar). So occasionally connections aren't always perfect. Furthermore I'm sure we'd step up another level if we did this all in a room altogether, and that touches on @DaveT316 point. We'd love one day to do a record all huddled around a corner of a pub or even in the stadium pre and post game.

It used to take about three hours to edit it so that there were no interruptions, my umming and ahhing was cut and dead end conversations removed. We noticed that the pods get a lot more downloads when we put them out earlier, even if they are a little rougher. So we have gone with the wider reach, it also gives me more of my Monday back. I still do a quick clean up on Sunday night and edit out the worst fudge ups but other than that, it is put out as live now.

On a personal note, I much prefer doing a pod on a game the following day. It gives me a chance to re-watch and view it as a whole. Commenting on a game immediately after, emotions come more into play and any analysis is less detailed, particularly after a game like Sunday's.

It used to take about three hours to edit it so that there were no interruptions, my umming and ahhing was cut and dead end conversations removed. We noticed that the pods get a lot more downloads when we put them out earlier, even if they are a little rougher. So we have gone with the wider reach, it also gives me more of my Monday back. I still do a quick clean up on Sunday night and edit out the worst fudge ups but other than that, it is put out as live now.
Your efforts are much appreciated. I really don't mind the mistakes and ums and ahs, I just feel that sometimes people get interrupted whilst they are trying to make a more nuanced, detailed point. It is a bugbear of mine, if someone interrupts my fine flow, they better have a good reason :D

Your efforts are much appreciated. I really don't mind the mistakes and ums and ahs, I just feel that sometimes people get interrupted whilst they are trying to make a more nuanced, detailed point. It is a bugbear of mine, if someone interrupts my fine flow, they better have a good reason :D

It's a fair criticism. It's a difficult balance to get right, we try to put our hands up to come in but sometime you can't help but get carried away

On a personal note, I much prefer doing a pod on a game the following day. It gives me a chance to re-watch and view it as a whole. Commenting on a game immediately after, emotions come more into play and any analysis is less detailed, particularly after a game like Sunday's.

Was it Jose or Conte said don't expect good answers after a game?

I really hope you guys don’t fall for the temptation to join the “first out on air”-broadcasts. Although your "immediate after match-emotions" are echoes of many other fans emotions, they are not your USP that makes you stand out. Your insight, calm and collected manners are much more so. You are no less passionate about Spurs because of it, but you are far more worthy of my ear. :)

If we want doom and gloom or euphoria shouted into our ears there are other podcasts for that. (I for one frequently find that I’m fast-forwarding past some of the "broken record"-panelists on those other pods..)
You are different quality, and I have never ever fastforwarded through segments or stopped listening to an episode of the game is about glory-podcast. For instance, LWoS has recently tended to make me do that..

I really hope you guys don’t fall for the temptation to join the “first out on air”-broadcasts. Although your "immediate after match-emotions" are echoes of many other fans emotions, they are not your USP that makes you stand out. Your insight, calm and collected manners are much more so. You are no less passionate about Spurs because of it, but you are far more worthy of my ear. :)

If we want doom and gloom or euphoria shouted into our ears there are other podcasts for that. (I for one frequently find that I’m fast-forwarding past some of the "broken record"-panelists on those other pods..)
You are different quality, and I have never ever fastforwarded through segments or stopped listening to an episode of the game is about glory-podcast. For instance, LWoS has recently tended to make me do that..
100% agree on all of the above. You guys keep me listening and engaged even when we lose, whereas I tend to not to listen to other football pods when that’s the case, as they’re so OTT.

100% agree on all of the above. You guys keep me listening and engaged even when we lose, whereas I tend to not to listen to other football pods when that’s the case, as they’re so OTT.

We'll never go doom and gloom or emotions over insight (or at least not all of us at the same time). I think that the content is the same with pods coming out on a Sunday night, rather than Monday afternoon, the only difference is that I am spending a little less time editing.

Interestingly, we get a lot more listeners after a bad result, whereas, my understanding is that most other pods get a drop. This week has been our busiest ever for downloads. I think that people come to us because they know that they are not going to have to listen to a shouty rant.

Thanks very much. The great thing is that we don't even have to strive for that sort of discussion, we're all that way. I love the friendship which has grown from it.

We'll never go doom and gloom or emotions over insight (or at least not all of us at the same time). I think that the content is the same with pods coming out on a Sunday night, rather than Monday afternoon, the only difference is that I am spending a little less time editing.

Interestingly, we get a lot more listeners after a bad result, whereas, my understanding is that most other pods get a drop. This week has been our busiest ever for downloads. I think that people come to us because they know that they are not going to have to listen to a shouty rant.

That's a positive sign, I generally do avoid social media/podcasts/youtube stuff after a bad results because it's rant/narrative/click bait brick.

@Junior19 - I should say that our recording schedule is the same that it has always been. We record on a Sunday night. The only thing that has changed is that I just clean up the sound and cut and real clangers before releasing it, whereas, I used to spend a lot of Monday cleaning it up second by second. If we were doing a documentary series, I would still want to do the latter but it is a big commitment for a weekly pod and the numbers are a lot better when we release on Sunday night. Listener wise, we have quite a big overlap with The Extra Inch and View From The Lane, so it helps to get out before them

Thanks very much. The great thing is that we don't even have to strive for that sort of discussion, we're all that way. I love the friendship which has grown from it.

I find listening to you guys on the pod following a defeat very therapeutic, as nice blend of balanced views from the 3 of you which help put things into perspective; in stark contrast to the bantz and rants to be found elsewhere.

I find listening to you guys on the pod following a defeat very therapeutic, as nice blend of balanced views from the 3 of you which help put things into perspective; in stark contrast to the bantz and rants to be found elsewhere.

Appreciated mate, thanks. This week's will be a Monday record as I am trundling back from Anfield Sunday night

Reasons To Be Cheerful
Season 3 Episode 46

Steff, Ram and Milo discuss Ryan Mason’s first week in (temporary) charge. Do our comebacks against Liverpool and Manchester United show signs of promise or are our defensive frailties destined to undo any positive improvements?

https://thegameisaboutglory.co.uk/reasons-to-be-cheerful/

Fv-Ganq-EX0-AMEEs-H.jpg

Great episode guys. I’d have paid good money to see @thfcsteff’s reaction to Richy’s goal and would’ve welcomed his limbs all over me had I been there, given the circumstances!

Two things for me:

1) I know it’s kind of your USP, but great restraint shown again for not commenting on the referee’s performance. Thoughts on a potential pen on Richy?

2) Re: possession stats lying - so this blew my mind and I only found out about it a few year’s ago - a team’s possession percentage is defined by their total number of passes divided by total passes in the game ie it’s not the amount of time they have the ball in their possession. So ball carrying teams fair weaker here. You’re probably aware, but it certainly helps to explain the stats not passing the eye test on how much ‘possession’ we had.

Back