• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Academy, NextGen, U18 & U21 Premier League and On-Loan Thread

Upcoming midweek games.

Vedran Corluka has been added into Bayer Leverkusen's Champions League squad, so he gets to play in the round of 16 against Barcelona!

Tuesday 14th February - 19:45

VEDRAN CORLUKA - Bayer Leverkusen vs Barcelona (Sky Sports 2 / Al Jazeera Sport +3)

RYAN MASON - Brighton vs Millwall
HARRY KANE - Brighton vs Millwall
THOMAS CARROLL - Derby vs Reading
ADAM SMITH - Coventry vs Leeds
ANDROS TOWNSEND - Coventry vs Leeds
DAVID BUTTON - Doncaster vs Blackpool
YAGO FALQUE - West Ham vs Southampton

NATHAN BYRNE - Bournemouth vs Leyton Orient
JOHN BOSTOCK - Sheffield Wednesday vs Stevenage
DEAN PARRETT - Wycombe vs Yeovil
JONATHAN OBIKA - Wycombe vs Yeovil

KUDOS OYENUGA - St Johnstone vs Hearts

Anyone know how Carroll did for Derby against Millwall, got subbed off after 70 minutes I think. Sorry if you've already said and I've missed it Zin.

The Sky is the Limit for Swansea's Steven Caulker

As I`m writing this, the England national team neither has a manager nor a captain. Many of the established squad members are morally split on recent high profile incidents that have plagued this season`s Premier League campaign and it`s not looking at all good.

There are those looking in from the outside that would say the English national team is in disarray - which on the face of it is a very fair observation.

The FA need to appoint a manager as soon as possible in preparation for the up-coming European Championships and get their ship in order.

There is a vast pool of experience and young talent available for the next England manager, but the area he will be spoilt for choice in, is in an area that the England team have always managed to consistently produce is quality central defenders.

As I was growing up in the early 1980`s, Arsenal legend, Tony Adams MBE, was taking the art of defending to a whole new level using a mixture of pace, strength and a leadership quality that was virtually unheard of at such a tender age.

Adams made his debut at Highbury four-weeks after his 17th birthday and became a regular at just 19-years-old - surely too young to be a regular-starting top-tier division centre-half, right? Tony Adams went on to 504 Arsenal appearances and captained his club for 14-years after he was given the armband at just 21.

Currently, England has: Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Gary Cahill, Michael Dawson, Ledley King, Phil Jagielka, Jolean Lescott and Wes Brown from a current pool of experienced international central defenders. The younger crop of talent is obviously where the future lies with the likes of the raw and impressive Phil Jones and Chris Smalling.

The one name that hasn`t been mentioned in the written press and amongst fans is who I feel could well be the next Tony Adams - Steven Caulker. The 20-year-old Swansea City defender (on loan from Tottenham Hotspur) has shown many similarities to the last genuine CB to captain England.

Standing at 6`3" tall, is extremely strong and quick with aerial prowess that`s comparable to the best in the league - Steven Caulker has all the hallmarks to make it to the very top of the game.

Starring in Swansea`s dominant defensive pairing with Ashley Williams, the Swans are solid as a defensive unit and are extremely comfortable on the ball. This ability to retain possession amongst the back four has rarely been utilised at England`s national team. This has mainly been the case because the experts say "English players don`t possess the technical ability." There are plenty of English players at every level of football that possess the capability to get the ball down and play it and Caulker is at the heart of it at Swansea.

Since Caulker was 16 he`s been punching far above his weight making 31 appearances for Tottenham Hotspur`s under-18 outfit and scoring 1 goal in the process. The following year, he was made captain of the under-18 team and made 5 appearances for Spurs` reserve team.

Since then, Caulker has applied his trade out on loan to Yeovil and Bristol City. He was subsequently voted Bristol City`s young player of the year at the end of the 2010-2011 season and earned international recognition winning England under-19 and under-21 caps.

Swansea City won the race for his signature on a season-long loan deal from Tottenham Hotspur for the start of the 2011-2012 Premier League campaign.

In pre-season training with the Swans he looked every bit the quality of a Premier League player, his physical attributes at just 19-years old in addition to his composure on the ball and abundance of pace shone through the early sessions - he is the real deal.

Caulker has made 13 appearances so far this season for the high flying Jacks, and would have made more if it wasn`t for his unfortunate injury against Arsenal at the Emirates.

Swansea City missed out on the signing of Ryan Bennett in the January transfer window, who was the player that the Swans manager Brendan Rodgers had highlighted as Caulkers replacement when his loan deal ends and returns to Tottenham Hotspur at the end of the season.

Steven Caulker is valued at around ?ú7 million, and whilst Norwich City captured the signature of Ryan Bennett for ?ú5.5 million, I would suggest the number one summer transfer target for Swansea City is Steven Caulker and with it, smashing their transfer record on a player that has experience in the philosophy of the football club and the Premier League.

Caulker is the best of an exceptional group of young English players and through the guidance and coaching of Brendan Rodgers, he will only get better.

Just as Tony Adams was in 1987, "If you`re good enough, you`re old enough."

Read more: http://www.swansea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=272643#ixzz1mGpVk1ae

Anyone know how Carroll did for Derby against Millwall, got subbed off after 70 minutes I think. Sorry if you've already said and I've missed it Zin.

Last post on page 10 :) Crap game, crap approach from Derby and he was on the right side of a crap midfield formation.

Excellent work zin makes for great reading I look forward to seeing what Derby fans think of Carroll was very impressed with him for us this season. Between him, Luongo and Pritchard we have some excellent CM prospects would be shocked if at least one of them doesn't become a regular for us

Im off to the amex to watch brighton-millwall tonight will come on here wednesday and say what i think of our lads if they play.

I will also have a little look at dunk and caskey if he plays. I have not been impressed with poyet this season that said he is getting them up the league but at times when i have seen brighton play he has set them out all wrong. But he is learning, wish he would give more support to mackil-smith who seems to be so isolated upfront on his own.

carroll stars for derby, mason for millwall, smith for leeds. kane and townsend on bench. bostock not involved

Last edited:
Earthquakes re-acquire Spurs midfielder Dawkins

Spurs midfielder Simon Dawkins rejoins San Jose on loan
February 14, 2012

SAN JOSE, Calif. – The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that the club has re-acquired midfielder Simon Dawkins on loan from club partner Tottenham Hotspur. Per league and team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Dawkins, 24, was recently named to Tottenham Hotspur’s 25-man roster following the conclusion of the January transfer window in England. He scored six goals and had two assists for San Jose in 26 games last season, providing a spark in the midfield while spending time at central midfield before settling in wide left.

“Simon did very well for us last season and we’re really happy to have him back,” said Earthquakes head coach Frank Yallop. “He’s talented on the ball, will take guys on and not only will set teammates up, but will create his own chances. With a year under his belt in our league, he knows what to expect now and should be ready to once again be a key piece for us.”

The Spurs Academy product debuted on the scoresheet for San Jose on April 2 against iconic American goalkeeper Kasey Keller and Seattle Sounders FC, drawing AT&T Goal of the Week considerations for his well-placed finish. He scored in back-to-back games twice – Seattle and Toronto FC on April 2 and 9, Houston and D.C. United on June 4 and 11 – and had a brace in the club’s final match of the season, a 4-2 win against FC Dallas at Buck Shaw Stadium on Oct. 22. One of his two strikes against the Hoops, a laser from the edge of the area, also warranted AT&T Goal of the Week nomination.

San Jose discovered Dawkins during a 10-day trip to England in February of 2011. Dawkins trained with the Earthquakes at Spurs Lodge during the stay and played 90 minutes in a 4-0 win against the Birmingham City Reserves. Soon after on March 16, San Jose and Tottenham Hotspur announced a loan deal for the 2011 season. Less than 24 hours after arriving from his transatlantic flight, Dawkins recorded his first appearance with the club after subbing on for captain Ramiro Corrales in the 66th minute of a 1-0 loss against Real Salt Lake on March 19 at Buck Shaw Stadium.

“It was one of our primary offseason goals to bring Simon back to San Jose, but we had to be patient. In the end, that patience paid off,” said Earthquakes General Manager John Doyle. “We liked what we saw out of Simon last year. He’s a versatile player who adds another dimension to our lineup and we’re excited for his return to the club.”

Dawkins returned to his North London squad after the 2011 MLS season and immediately made an impact for the Spurs XI (reserves). Dawkins scored goals against reserve squads from Queens Park Rangers and Leyton Orient and earned a one-week trial with Dutch power FC Twente from Jan. 16-23 before Spurs agreed on loan terms with San Jose.

The Edgware, England native signed on as a Spurs Academy Scholar in July of 2004. He earned one cap with the English U-17s and made 20 appearances with Tottenham Hotspur’s U-17s before joining the club as a professional in 2005.

Transaction: San Jose Earthquakes (MLS) – Earthquakes acquire M Simon Dawkins on loan from Tottenham Hotspur FC.

Simon Dawkins
Position: Midfield
Height: 5-10
Weight: 160
Born: December 1, 1987 in England
Hometown: Edgware, England
Last Club: Leyton Orient (Loan from Tottenham Hotspur)
College: NA
Citizenship: English

VEDRAN CORLUKA
5th February 1986 (26)

i5yng3.png

BAYER LEVERKUSEN
Bundesliga

31st January 2012
to End of Season

3 Appearances
1 Subbed On
2 Subbed Off

0 Goals
1 Assist

91' Subbed Off
53' Yellow Card
52' Assist

vs Barcelona (H) Champions League (Round of 16, 1st Leg) 14.02.2012
Having been included in Bayer Leverkusen's squad for the Champions League, he played in an attacking right back position, coming up against Adriano and then Pedro. Played 90+1 minutes of the 90+4, provided the assist in the 52nd minute for the equaliser and got booked in the 53rd minute for bringing down Adriano as Leverkusen lost 3-1. Leverkusen fans were generally delighted with his performance, hoping to sign him up at the end of his loan.

Corluka does brilliantly to make just enough space to float the ball to the far post, and Kadlec rises to head home.

Really good transfer. Strong transfer!

Good ... very good passes and runs wings! A real asset to now!

We enjoy on a man with such quality for the rest of the second round! Hopefully longer.

Best man yesterday with Renato. Has shown that he has just the class to do well against Barca

Buy! Very very strong. It's no coincidence that all three goals came on the other side.

RYAN MASON
13th June 1991 (20)

255rm9c.png

MILLWALL
Championship

26th January 2012
to End of Season

5 Appearances
1 Subbed On
2 Subbed Off

0 Goals
0 Assists

vs Brighton (A) Championship (Round 31) 14.02.2012
Ryan Mason played 62 minutes as Millwall drew 2-2 with Brighton. His substitution being a tactical one. He also received a yellow card in the 6th minute for unsporting behaviour after a foul on Inigo Calderon. I can't find any forum comments on his performance however here is a quote from the Millwall manager Kenny Jackett after last Saturday's game against Derby:

Josh Wright and Ryan Mason did well, even Ryan in the second half when we switched to 4-4-2 and he went out on the left. He is gaining his confidence now after his groin injury stopped him from coming to us straight away. People are starting to see the type of ability he has. I am looking for him to score as well because I think he is capable of breaking through and getting goals at Millwall.
62' Subbed Off, 6' Yellow Card

HARRY KANE
28th July 1993 (18)

1zogfpu.png

MILLWALL
Championship

1st January 2012
to End of Season

11 Appearances
2 Subbed On
7 Subbed Off

2 Goals
2 Assists

vs Brighton (A) Championship (Round 31) 14.02.2012
Harry Kane came on in the 73rd minute as Millwall drew 2-2 with Brighton. No forum comments about his performance that I can find however here's what manager Kenny Jackett has said about him in the last few days:

Harry needs a goal but he has played his part. He is a very good footballer who can link the play well.

73' Subbed On

THOMAS CARROLL
28th May 1992 (19)

jpalts.png

DERBY COUNTY
Championship

30th January 2012
to End of Season

3 Appearances
2 Subbed Off

1 Goal
0 Assists

78' Subbed Off
27' Foul Suffered

vs Reading (H) Championship (Round 30) 14.02.2012
Tom played 78 minutes in central midfield before being substituted, as Derby lost 1-0.

Carroll and Hendrick, two players who are usually composed in possession, seemed flustered and surprised by the closing down of Reading.

They did enjoy and applaud a sweetly-struck crossfield pass by Carroll.

Carroll, quiet for long periods, made way for James Bailey.

Tom Carroll really does look the part.

Why does Carroll get a place ahead of Bailey. He might be able to make the odd pretty pass but he is physically slight and has no presence.

How Tom Carroll is starting ahead of Bailey I'll never know as that boy offers nothing and gives the ball away a hell of a lot more!

Last edited:
fudge me Zin, that's even better! Great stuff!

Shame to hear it's not going 100% Carroll's way at the moment, hopefully things will pick up for him during his time at Derby.

Him succeeding there isn't the be all and end all though of course, Livermore had a bit of a shaky spell there showing glimpses of potential but not really excelling and look at how useful he's been to us this season, proving many doubters wrong.

fudge me Zin, that's even better! Great stuff!

Shame to hear it's not going 100% Carroll's way at the moment, hopefully things will pick up for him during his time at Derby.

Him succeeding there isn't the be all and end all though of course, Livermore had a bit of a shaky spell there showing glimpses of potential but not really excelling and look at how useful he's been to us this season, proving many doubters wrong.

Completely agree. I think with Carroll its just a matter of him bigging up a little. He's only 19 and just so slight at the moment. Really do think we'll have a first class cm on our hands in a few years time. If he can learn a few things from Modric, I don't see why he won't be able to play at least 15-20 games for us next season. We'll have plenty of games to go around and behind Modric, he really should be our backup at a creative cm position (though Tommy Hudd may have a few things to say about that). Our style of play really suits him. Reminds me a little of Britton for Swansea.

Sell
Jenas (will never happen)
Pienaar (back to everton)

Rotate
Modric, Parker, Sandro, Livermore, Carroll, Hudd.

We're not short of options are we

a few older videos for whoever else is bored. Always fun to see what kind of talent we have in the works

[video=youtube;aw7QnskYBYk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw7QnskYBYk&feature=player_embedded[/video]

[video=youtube;slwN9TKE2jw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slwN9TKE2jw[/video]

I was at the Amex last night for brighton-millwall and these are my views.

Mason he had a quiet game he had some nice touches and reminded me a little of carroll in that he has his head up and looks for a pass. He was lucky that he was playing against a team who still for some fudging reason do not have a ball winner in midfield and with thathe still could not impose himself or run the game. Brighton are about the easiest team he will face on that score because they only pass and never tackle.

He did not have muc movement infront of him to pass into, i would have given a 6.5 out of 10, they looked a little better when he went off millwall should have won really.

Kane - it is the second time i have seen him at the Amex saw him there for england under 19's earlier in the season, that day he was subbed this time he came on from the subs bench. The thing that was the same was that he appears very slow, as a half decent touch but i have gone from someone who a year ago thought he should be in our squad as the 4th striker to thinking he needs a couple more year out on loan and even then he will have to improve a hell of a lot to make it in my eyes.

So i think mason is the better of the 2 and might like livermore look better with better players around him.

Poyet some think should come here when redknapp goes, i have been very unimpressed with him this season, he does not seem to learn from his mistakes and constantly leaves his striker to do to much with no support. Did not really enjoy last night everything that i wanted to be impressed by i was not.

Back