• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Unless we catch something by the end of this week it's time to go for targets we can get.

Personally, I think the timing for going for those biggers names which inherently have much lower probability ran out a couple weeks ago. Saudi Sportswashing Machine is in 12 days!!!!

So do you think it's Ade stalling the deal or us?

We have probably given Ade the best offer we can give and if he wants more it will have to come from City. The scenario for them is to either have him see out his contract or pay him off. Right now I'd say it's down to who can bluff the best.

If Ade is going to join and take a pay-cut, why would he want to take that cut sooner?

So we rather lose our first 2 games, miss out on 6 points (hell, even 1!) which could later make the difference between a 50m CL spot as opposed to paying 200-300k in wages and getting in our men well early - a strange logic to say the least - from our persepctive that, assuming we wanted to sign him late and save on wages

Arsenal are believed to be considering a bid for Olympiakos striker Kevin Mirallas as they await the outcome of Robin van Persie's transfer saga.

The Belgium forward Mirallas, 24, is available for £6.4m and has been scouted by Liverpool also.

Mirallas can play wide or up front, where he shone for his Greek club last season, picking up the league’s top scorer and player of the year gongs

The Gunners face competition from all over Europe, with CSKA Moscow one of those to have shown serious interest, seeing a £5m bid rejected earlier this year.

Meanwhile, Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is determined to sign Van Persie should the 29-year-old leave Arsenal and is well down the line in negotiations with Sao Paulo’s Brazilian midfielder Lucas Moura, 19, as revealed in Sportsmail.

Ferguson has stayed in England while his team are in Scandinavia for friendlies, and that prompted Roberto Mancini to admit defeat in his pursuit of the Arsenal star.

The Italian has been desperate to bring the striker to the Etihad but have faced stiff competition from Manchester United and Serie A giants Juventus.

But when asked about the top Gunner, Mancini said: 'Van Persie? No, I don't think he will come here.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2184137/Arsenal-look-Kevin-Mirallas.html

Blackburn Rovers boss Steve Kean has confirmed he has tabled a bid for Huddersfield Town striker Jordan Rhodes.

a few weeks ago i mentioned Mirallas as an option for us

another young forward with potential, and available at a price affordable to us

But would it unreasonable to assume

- we would have known what Ade wants for some time now (keeping in mind he was with us for a season already and did well)
- we can within minutes 'calculate' if that is feasible or not

Unless Ade changed the goal-posts of course or his agent advised him on other offers

I have addressed my feeling on this before, I'll do so again for discussion. I believe AVB is still weighing up options. Somewhere I figured out that Ade (wages/lump payments, etc) would work out to about 25 mill or somewhere in that region over the length of a 4 year deal (apologies of my figures are off but it's somewhere in that ballpark)...I think AVB wants to be absolutely sure before making the striker move as I feel he is onto other targets we don't know about.

I think Madrid backing away from a reasonable Modric future and trying to jam us at 27 mill + a few mill add-ons has absolutely messed with plans, but I think AVB agrees that the club cannot just fold now as it would make no sense/make us look small-time. The worst he gets out of it, is professional who he will have to motivate to play.

We will absolutely have a striker or two soon IMHO, and as we all know, it could be Ade. But between him and his dispute with City and the Modric saga, it doesn't appear easy for anyone.

BTW, in case anyone missed it, Liverpool are struggling worse than us with signings!

Look at Saudi Sportswashing Machine forums and they're just as impatient as us, except there it's customary to hate on the chairman.

Re-read what I said. I said he could have been stalling so he doesn't take the cut sooner

Apologies, Adam - I quoted the wrong post

If you sign a player in May compared to August then you're paying wages for an extra 3 months, which is over £1m - I wouldnt be surprised if this is a big driver in us taking ages with deals. Flirt with clubs/players so that they know we're interested but dont have the intention to finalise it til Aug

COntrast that with shipping NK,VC etc out early so we save on their wages

I have addressed my feeling on this before, I'll do so again for discussion. I believe AVB is still weighing up options. Somewhere I figured out that Ade (wages/lump payments, etc) would work out to about 25 mill or somewhere in that region over the length of a 4 year deal (apologies of my figures are off but it's somewhere in that ballpark)...I think AVB wants to be absolutely sure before making the striker move as I feel he is onto other targets we don't know about.

I think Madrid backing away from a reasonable Modric future and trying to jam us at 27 mill + a few mill add-ons has absolutely messed with plans, but I think AVB agrees that the club cannot just fold now as it would make no sense/make us look small-time. The worst he gets out of it, is professional who he will have to motivate to play.

We will absolutely have a striker or two soon IMHO, and as we all know, it could be Ade. But between him and his dispute with City and the Modric saga, it doesn't appear easy for anyone.

BTW, in case anyone missed it, Liverpool are struggling worse than us with signings!

Damiao will cost more than that when the transfer fee and wages are lumped together, same with a Huntelaar or Lewandowski

i really think the Ade deal should be another one year loan. If ist taking this long to sort out a permanent deal then lets just recreate last summers loan and reassess next summer

Modric valuation still not met

Villas-Boas says player must be mentally ready before full return

Last Updated: August 5, 2012 8:35pm

Modric has been training separately as he waits to resolve his future, having made it clear to Spurs that he would like to leave this summer.

Real Madrid have been linked with a swoop for the Croatian but still nothing has been finalised, several weeks after Villas-Boas admitted talks had been held with several clubs about a move.

Chairman Daniel Levy is not prepared to sell such an important player on the cheap and Villas-Boas believes Modric must accept that Tottenham are not to blame.

The head coach says he can then start to work with the rest of the group as normal, but it looks doubtful that he will be ready for the start of the season.

"He has been training separately. Now it is important for Luka to feel mentally ready to come back to first-team training," Villas-Boas told Sky Sports News after Sunday's 1-0 friendly victory over Watford, which Modric missed.

"These boys are at a different level in terms of their preparation, concentration and commitment.

"I think the player has to understand that the club cannot do anything about other clubs' offers.

"We have a value and an interest that we have to defend, and we are waiting to reintegrate the player if the offer is not matched."

Professional

Modric to return to training
It was a similar tale for Modric last summer when he had set his heart on a move away from the club but ended up staying and playing an important part in Tottenham's season.

Villas-Boas has no doubt that he would again get his head down and commit to Spurs if there is no move during the current transfer window, but he admits the uncertainty is not ideal.

"We will try to solve it as soon as possible," he said. "It is the second time we have been through this situation.

"It is obviously difficult for him, but the chairman is defending the club's interests and the player has to understand that, and the fact that the offer does not meet the chairman's demands means we can't do anything.

"The player is a good professional and hopefully he will return to the team."

Asked if Modric could be involved at the start of the season, Villas-Boas added: "Obviously he will have to raise his fitness level, and the sooner that we can have him reintegrated mentally and then physically, we will then see how things go."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7966798/Modric-valuation-still-not-met

Apologies, Adam - I quoted the wrong post

Fair enough. Agree that signing players in Aug rather than May risks costing us points but saves perhaps £1m on each player in terms of 'lost' wages over the summer. However the only conclusion which you can draw from the last few years is that that is a risk which Levy is prepared to take.

The mitigating factor is that our finances are probably more stretched than most people think which we build the new training ground and stadium (evidence is the low level of net spend over the last 4-5 years)....and as a result Levy is trying to eek every last pound out of deals in order that we can still buy players

i wonder if we have set a deadline with Real to resolve this.....id demand by this Friday 10th Aug and if they dont offer more for Modric then its over for this summer. Someone has to take control of this situation because its drifting into nowhere and its no good for the player or for Spurs

i wonder if we have set a deadline with Real to resolve this.....id demand by this Friday 10th Aug and if they dont offer more for Modric then its over for this summer. Someone has to take control of this situation because its drifting into nowhere and its no good for the player or for Spurs

Alternatively we might simply verbally agree to a deal with Real if/when an acceptable offer comes in but not sign it til we are certain that we are able to get a replacement in and then sign both deals within hours/minutes of each other

Will be interesting to see whether Modric plays on Thurs v Valencia. If he doesnt then its hard to see him playing against Saudi Sportswashing Machine or potentially before Sept 1

I will be shocked if he's involved on Thursday.

AVB mentioned at the weekend about speaking to Modrci to see where he head was and working out how/when to integrate him back in to the squad. I could see him being on the bench on Thurs as a min. Would also signal to Real that we're prepared to keep him if they dont step up!

Back