• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We've missed out on Salomon Rondon to Rubin Kazan.. ](*,) would have been the perfect second choice or backup striker imo. Very good in the air and wouldn't have cost more than 10 million..

Are you really that bothered?

I'd never heard of him before the papers started linking him to us. Definitely never seen him play, or not noticed him if I have. Him going to Russia is quite telling.

I don't believe that braineclipse has any more "constructed a convenient scenario" of what Levy is up to than you have, fella.

And what would be your response be if, come 1st September, Spurs had made a couple of good striker signings (say Adebayor and Damiao) that, because of various complications, couldn't have been completed prior to that date? Would you, with hindsight, be glad that Levy persisted? Or would you still insist that Levy should have abandoned the attempt to get those players and, instead, secured lesser strikers earlier in the window?

Jimmy - I understand the pro-Levy premise here - he's doing his best, we should all calm down, things take time, we don't have money, we don't have pull, agents hate us, etc.

I simply queried why wasn't there an option 3 in his scenario as explained further back - especially since it has been as clear as daylight we needed a decent forward for years, and Arry was as good as gone even before the Fulham game. Of course he's a great chairman who's done immense things for the club over the last decade and put us in a great position going forward - but question can be asked from time to time surely?

Last edited:
Jimmy - I understand the pro-Levy premise here - he's doing his best, we should all calm down, things take time, we don't have money, we don't have pull, agents hate us, etc.

I simply queried why wasn't there an option 3 in his scenario as explained further back - especially since it has been as clear as daylight we needed a decent forward for years, and Arry was as good as gone even before the Fulham game. Of course he's a great chairman who's done immense things for the club over the last decade and put us in a great position going forward - but question can be asked from time to time surely?

Maybe he has been counting on Ade to join, but it's taking longer than expected. It will probably take a refusal to move by Ade to make City cave in, who knows. IF we're going for L. Damiao we knew all along he wouldn't join until after the Olympics.

TRANSFER GOSSIP

Sir Alex Ferguson missed Manchester United's goalless draw with Valerenga on Sunday so he could push through the signing of Arsenal captain Robin van Persie, 28.

Full story: Daily Mail
Salomon Rondon

Salomon Rondon has scored eight goals in 24 appearances for Venezuela

Ferguson has jumped to the head of the queue to sign Van Persie after Emirates Marketing Project manager Roberto Mancini admitted for the first time that he does not expect to sign the Dutchman.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Manchester United are also hoping to take advantage of Malaga's financial crisis to sign Spain Under-21 international midfielder Isco, 20.

Full story: Metro

Chelsea defender Ashley Cole, 31, has ruled out a move to big-spending French giants Paris Saint Germain after insisting contract talks over a new deal at Stamford Bridge have not stalled.

Full story: Daily Mail

Liverpool are set to miss out on signing Clint Dempsey, 29, this summer as boss Brendan Rodgers is not impressed with Fulham's £10m asking price for the USA forward.

Full story: Metro

Nottingham Forest are attempting to sign Norwich City's Spanish youth international central defender Dani Ayala on a season-long loan.

Tottenham are reassessing their next move after 22-year-old Malaga striker Salomon Rondon, a key target, opted to join Russian side Rubin Kazan.

Full story: the Sun
OTHER GOSSIP
Richard Hughes's playing career included a spell in Italy with Atalanta

Richard Hughes

New Everton signing Steven Pienaar, 30, has urged Leighton Baines to stay loyal to the Toffees as the left-back continues to be linked with Manchester United.

Full story: talkSPORT

Real Madrid's former Manchester United player Cristiano Ronaldo, 27, says he would like to follow David Beckham and play for a USA side in Major League Soccer.

Full story: the Sun

Arsenal signing Olivier Giroud, 25, believes his new club can recreate the underdog atmosphere which made him a title winner in France. Arsene Wenger snapped up Giroud from Montpellier, where the striker was part of the team that pipped Paris Saint Germain to the Ligue 1 title.

Full story: talkSPORT
AND FINALLY

Italian restaurant owner Richard Hughes, 33, has announced he is coming out of retirement to join Bournemouth on a two-year contract.

Maybe he has been counting on Ade to join, but it's taking longer than expected. It will probably take a refusal to move by Ade to make City cave in, who knows. IF we're going for L. Damiao we knew all along he wouldn't join until after the Olympics.

I recall an inteview with Ade few days after our season closed (May) indicating he wants to join and the chairman is working hard on it.

So - taking it from there onwards and assuming City want to get rid (reasonable assumption all things considered) - I think the fee could have been agreed either piror to that or early in May/June. The 5-6m as quoted is hardly going to break the piggy bank, is it?. Or is it more than that - 10, even 15m?

As for his personal demands

- we could have known what his wage demands are by then (May)
- known if he's willing to take a cut (May)
- known if we can afford whatever his demanding (May

Ideal scenario (towards the end of last season)

- Ade - do you want to join permanently? Yes
- City - how much do you want for Ade? This much - we either can pay that or not. If 'yes' then proceed to next step
- Ade - this is what we can pay you at most and guarantee you regular football and the love of many fans - do you take it? Yes
- Submit paper work on June 10th and announce player shortly afterwards

He was with us for a season and that counts (or should have counted rather) as massive advantage as far as most of these nogitations are concerned.

What could have happened in reality (I can appreciate that)

- Season ends, Ade leaves and says he'd like to come back and join
- Arry leaves, Ade is no longer certain
- City ask for x amount - we offer y
- Ade could have changed his tune and asked for more money
- We are very unlucky

I certainly don't see Ade giving up any money in order to join us sooner. The question is how bad City want him gone (and if there are any other clubs interested).

Unless he realises the reason he was on those wages was because the mercenaries bought him and the only way he will get it elsewhere is if another lottery winning team buy him the better. Malaga won't, PSG don't need him so he's fudged really. Lower your demands Ade and join us.

I certainly don't see Ade giving up any money in order to join us sooner. The question is how bad City want him gone (and if there are any other clubs interested).

But would it unreasonable to assume

- we would have known what Ade wants for some time now (keeping in mind he was with us for a season already and did well)
- we can within minutes 'calculate' if that is feasible or not

Unless Ade changed the goal-posts of course or his agent advised him on other offers

But would it unreasonable to assume

- we would have known what Ade wants for some time now (keeping in mind he was with us for a season already and did well)
- we can within minutes 'calculate' if that is feasible or not

Unless Ade changed the goal-posts of course or his agent advised him on other offers

I don't know why nothing is happening, but it is possible that we have needed City to chip in all along and are just waiting for them to do it.

Hypotethical scenario, but not completely unreasonable: IF our two main targets are Ade and Damiao, it's been obvious since before the window opened that they wouldn't sign before mid to late August. That is a huge gamble to take, unless we are REALLY sure that they will be ours. Then it's just a gamble.

What would be a logical reason for them not to sign until August?

Ade: Money issues, we won't pay a big fee plus the wages he's on currently

Damiao: We could have signed him earlier, but he would have been unavailable until next week anyway.

That's just one scenario though.

How about Emirates Marketing Project are willing to subsidise any loan/transfer but not till end of window incase one of their strikers gets injured before then.

What would be a logical reason for them not to sign until August?

If you sign a player in May compared to August then you're paying wages for an extra 3 months, which is over £1m - I wouldnt be surprised if this is a big driver in us taking ages with deals. Flirt with clubs/players so that they know we're interested but dont have the intention to finalise it til Aug

COntrast that with shipping NK,VC etc out early so we save on their wages

We've missed out on Salomon Rondon to Rubin Kazan.. ](*,) would have been the perfect second choice or backup striker imo. Very good in the air and wouldn't have cost more than 10 million..

Do we have the cash to spend £10m on a back-up CF?

OR: Knowing that we can go for these two late in the window we've been trying for some even bigger names just to see what's possible and not.

Back