• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
JJetset on rumours VDV is leaving:

"Fortunately for you and Tottenham it is not (true). AVB likes VDV #dontgetridofyourbestplayers‬"

Hope this is true.
----------Ade------------
Bale----Sigurdsson----VdV
---Modrinho-Sandro-------

With Walker overlapping on the right...

Lennon in for VdV or Sigurdsson (VdV moving centrally) is pretty much the same quality imo. One more player for those attacking positions (like Afellay) and we would be very well covered.

Hope this is true.

Lennon in for VdV or Sigurdsson (VdV moving centrally) is pretty much the same quality imo. One more player for those attacking positions (like Afellay) and we would be very well covered.

if lennon comes in for siggy , thats practically harry's team. woohooo...3rd place here we come!!!!

on a serious note. what are your thoughts of VDV defensively from a tactical point of view?

But if that is the player AVB likes/wants - why not keep Gio instead and save 10-12m or whatever those tossers would demand for him?

Completely pointeless signing which doesn't improve the team/squad one notch and adds to a position of considerably low priority. Geezus - our only striker is Jermain 'blast the ball as hard as you can and hope' Defoe and our keeper is about to draw his pension! I'd say AVB has bigger holes to plug

Plus we just signed Sigg, mind you

The reason why would be because he's better.

The way you use to rate the two players is pretty much that both are/were "not good enough for Barca". With Messi, Iniesta, Villa, Sanchez, Pedro and Fabregas I think you can be a pretty good player despite not being good enough for Barca. Can be a bit of a gap in skill between two players who fit in that "not good enough for Barca" category.

If Barca had Sigurdsson I'm guessing they would let him go, should we not sign him then? Or does it change for some reason because he's not a quick wide player?

Hope this is true.

Ade, Sig and VDV = not enough pace

Either that or the fact that he's leading out away shirt promos.

Do clubs tend to sell the players that have spearheaded their new shirt photo campaigns?

Somebody should tell this lot
gun__1338982925_mpu.jpg

So if we collect up various tweets, ITK ramblings and rumours we are close on Ade for £5m, Lloris is getting closer at £13.5m and we've agreed a fee for Moutinho?

What kind of sorcery is this?!

That would be a pretty dream situation. And in some cover for Ade, and we'll be going toe-to-toe with United and Chelsea.

JJetset on rumours VDV is leaving:

"Fortunately for you and Tottenham it is not (true). AVB likes VDV #dontgetridofyourbestplayers‬"

Especially if that's true too.

The reason why would be because he's better.

The way you use to rate the two players is pretty much that both are/were "not good enough for Barca". With Messi, Iniesta, Villa, Sanchez, Pedro and Fabregas I think you can be a pretty good player despite not being good enough for Barca. Can be a bit of a gap in skill between two players who fit in that "not good enough for Barca" category.

If Barca had Sigurdsson I'm guessing they would let him go, should we not sign him then? Or does it change for some reason because he's not a quick wide player?

Based on what exactly is he 'better'?

Gio is 3 years younger (only 23) and had a better goal-scoring record than Afellay in his only proper season at Barcelona?

He aslo looked good in the few games he was given a chance by Arry in those cup games earlier in the season. Had a MotM performance, iirc. Always delivers for Mexico, etc. Just because one manager crushed him doesn't mean he's a brick player

My Sigurdsson reference has nothing to do with those tossers of a team - more with the fact we already signed a player who can cover a similar position so why spend money on another Gio when we already have Gio and a new signging who appears to be better than Gio?

Makes zero sense

if lennon comes in for siggy , thats practically harry's team. woohooo...3rd place here we come!!!!

on a serious note. what are your thoughts of VDV defensively from a tactical point of view?

Yes! And that bit of continuity could be quite important for us. Too many changes too quickly makes for some hard to deal with problems, just ask City/PSG/Malaga etc..

Not a good tackler or one on one defender, and he gets his positioning wrong, but he works reasonably hard. So he does a job, but he's not very disciplined so he can't really be trusted in the deeper positions (like the holding roles in the formation above) because he will go missing while a player like Modric gets himself back every time. There were games last season where VdV was more disciplined, but still not as good as Lennon or Modric and of course not as solid as Sandro, Parker and Hudd (not that I would expect him to be).

Good enough for the right wing forward (isn't that what we're calling it these days?) or attacking midfield position above against most teams, although against the top side maybe it would be better to bring in Lennon.

Realistically the formation will probably look more like a 4-3-3 (4-1-2-2-1) and the central player will have more defensive responsibility and the wing forward less (like at Arsenal and Chelsea under Mourinho). However, as part of a central three VdV will do fine as long as the other central players are good enough and all our players are good enough.

No they really wont

Trust me, no-one loves a laugh at Liverpool more than me but with this side:

-----------------------------Reina-----------------------------

Johnson-----------Skrtel---------------Agger------------Enrique

---------------------------Lucas------------------------------

--------------------Gerrard-------------New signing----------

--------Surarez------------------------------------Affelay

--------------------------New signing-----------------------

They will be strong. They'll be near us. We should still be better but they will be strong, I reckon they can get near Arsenal. I don't like saying that, but I reckon it could be the case.

People may say Gerrard is past it but they'll probably bring someone in to give him good cover too. We should still be better, we should still have the better squad and we should still finish higher than they do, particularly if AVB takes off like he can. But they'll be much improved from last season and considering they massively under-performed, they will do a lot better this time around.

Spare a thought for poor old Jim White. What the fudge is going to do on deadline day now with all this early transfer activity?

Not convinced by Lloris and don't understand why we would want to replace Friedel he was excellent last season. Rather buy a younger keeper we can bed in slowly

Awesome

Bale and Walker.

Also, you don't need pace if you have possession as much as that team would. Pace is for playing on the break. We'd be bossing every single game from the opponents' half.

i look forward to seeing that.

its good that AVB can coach that level of technical ability and spatial awareness and composure and vision and decision making in just a few weeks. going to have a great season

i wouldnt say he is quick, quicker than Sig and VDV yes, but to have the 3 of them in the same team would affect our counter attacking ability imo

Ade is more than fast enough....his acceleration might not be that of defoe's but i dare say that at full pelt he is probably faster than JD.

plus all you need is for him to be faster than the other yteams CBs, which he is most of the ttime

Awesome

Bale and Walker.

Also, you don't need pace if you have possession as much as that team would. Pace is for playing on the break. We'd be bossing every single game from the opponents' half.

we need to learn to hit teams on the break like Utd do.....its very profitable because its not so easy to break down teams who sit deep against us and allow us possession

if we are to take the next step up, pace on the counter and scoring goals from it will be vital

Based on what exactly is he 'better'?

Gio is 3 years younger (only 23) and had a better goal-scoring record than Afellay in his only proper season at Barcelona?

He aslo looked good in the few games he was given a chance by Arry in those cup games earlier in the season. Had a MotM performance, iirc. Always delivers for Mexico, etc. Just because one manager crushed him doesn't mean he's a brick player

My Sigurdsson reference has nothing to do with those tossers of a team - more with the fact we already signed a player who can cover a similar position so why spend money on another Gio when we already have Gio and a new signging who appears to be better than Gio?

Makes zero sense

Obviously just my opinion that he's better. And that was and is my answer to why we should sign him when we have Gio.

A bit like "Why should we sign Vertonghen when we have Dawson?" - Because he's better.

I could go into a lot of different attributes where I think he is better than Gio, but I can't be bothered unless we actually sign the guy. The most obvious pro with Afellay for me is that he's not ridiculously one footed like Gio is.

i look forward to seeing that.

its good that AVB can coach that level of technical ability and spatial awareness and composure and vision and decision making in just a few weeks. going to have a great season

depends very much on the intelligence of our players.....can they take on board his ideas

Back