• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was worried he was going to join us, all the trumpers talking made me think it was going to happen - more fool me for getting sucked in, but now in reality he wont be signing, this is the best news I've had in days. Its fudging Sigurdsson, not Messi. He's a glorofied hoofer that does fudge all else in a game if he doesnt have a shot on goal.

There is no need for this at all. Ganter isnt playing ITK games, he is a regular and decent GG poster - who happens to hear talk from where he comes from.

Iceland is very much a "small place" when it comes to everybody knowing everybody else - he has only stated what is being said at home and its been entirely consistent with the press reports as well.

If anything it seems to me Gylfi (or his agent - dad?) is playing the age old "lets start a bidding war" routine for a player. Hence conflicting stories.

:lol:

If Gylfi's dad says he just wants to play in the best team possible and be paid as much as others on the team, why Liverpool? They clearly won't be better than us, especially with investment from GHod knows where it is coming from. It will really annoy me if he doesn't choose us, even if he does seem like a bit of a luxury player. I personally feel he will be more than that, as he will fit more into a 4-3-3 that Rafa will, and can get goals coming from deep. Rafa usually starts higher anyway,

Liverpool are a massive club.

Yes, they have been crap the last few seasons but even so will enjoy a huge reputation world wide.

They have some talented players and a new (exciting) coach who plans to push them among the big boys.

We on the other hand have had a great few years, but wont enjoy the 'kudos' Liverpool do, are also in a situation where we have a new manager looking to push us among the elite.

Are the choices so clear cut?

Especially when the player in question has a good working relationship with the Liverpool manager.

If money offered and aspiration of the clubs are of similar levels - what do you base your choice on?

Do we always announce signings via a press conference? I thought we just announced them on the website and then arranged a press conference/media session etc the following day

Not usually, I can only remember the triple signing when we got Kaboul im recent times with all 3 of them showing of the new kits.

I would expect one for a new manager though but then again they might not want Arrrys media mates all turning up asking awkward questions.

Id expect a manager announcement before and players though.

Liverpool are a massive club.

Yes, they have been crap the last few seasons but even so will enjoy a huge reputation world wide.

They have some talented players and a new (exciting) coach who plans to push them among the big boys.

We on the other hand have had a great few years, but wont enjoy the 'kudos' Liverpool do, are also in a situation where we have a new manager looking to push us among the elite.

Are the choices so clear cut?

Especially when the player in question has a good working relationship with the Liverpool manager.

If money offered and aspiration of the clubs are of similar levels - what do you base your choice on?

I do understand the choice is close, Liverpool are also a big club and that there may be some pull for him, but really I think it will be a little embarassing if we made a big push to get him, offered him better money and I'm sure presented him the plans of the club (whether that means investment, likely managers, stadium, training ground, etc) and he decides to not bother coming our way.

It used to be annoying when we'd lose out on players because we wouldn't match the wages. When Damien Duff joined Saudi Sportswashing Machine he would have been perfect for us at the time, but you can understand why he went there and why we didn't break our wage structure for him. Saudi Sportswashing Machine had money, and if spent well maybe they could have challenged us even though we just finished above them. He wasn't to know they'd fudge it all up. So annoying, but I understood it.

Now we are in the position of swooping in, offering the higher wages. Only now we are also the club finishing higher, and we have better players in our squad. And yet we are still likely to miss out. Very frustrating.

Would he rather knock in crosses from Bale or Downing? Be partnered in midfield by Henderson or Sandro? I know Liverpool also have some good quality players too, but is he even going to start there every game? He's very similar to Gerrard, but even if Gerrard is deeper, there's still a few guys to compete with. I just can't see why the pull of Rodgers is that great. Yes he played well in Rodgers team that he had some time to build up, but Rodgers is going to have his work cut out incorporating the likes of Downing and Carrol into that system. It may not all be instantly well functioining for a couple of seasons. Maybe if we had a manager that could go all out and tell him how he would be utilised we could also change his mind again.

I guess maybe I'm freaking out because I remember what it was like pre-Harry, we wouldn't sign players in the positions we need. If the deal went, we wouldn't do it. I'm worried that we are doing this because it's a deal, and that if we pass it by there may not be another one of similar value. But I should also remember that back then we had the thoroughly unproductive Commoli signing us talented players that didn't fit the system of play we wanted. We then had Harry who was able to play talented players in the right way, but couldn't make decisions on riskier signings. I'm hoping AVB will have the decisiveness to make decisions on riskier players, knows which positions need filling and makes an effort to do so, and has the scouting knowledge to find them. I'm actually pretty confident that he does to be fair, so maybe I needn't worry. Siggy won't be the be all and end all of our club.

Should have mentioned the source is Guillem Balague.

Although he was correct in saying Spurs spoke to Rafa Benitez. But then pretty sure that was common knowledge.

Which is strange - as Benitez was interviewed by Sky the other day and said that right opportunity hadn't come along, (implying that a big enough club/budget hadn't been made available) If we are getting all of this money why wouldn't be be interested?

Which is strange - as Benitez was interviewed by Sky the other day and said that right opportunity hadn't come along, (implying that a big enough club/budget hadn't been made available) If we are getting all of this money why wouldn't be be interested?

Maybe we spoke to him to see what his plans were, which kind of players he'd like, whether he would be interested in working in whatever structure we have cooking up, and he told us. And maybe then we decided he wasn't the right fit for us.

Sky Sports sources understand Saudi Sportswashing Machine striker Leon Best is undergoing a medical at Blackburn.

Aston Villa confirm the signing of Karim El Ahmadi from Feyenoord

Doesn't matter if I share now as its after the fact, but shortly after Redknapp departed we meet with Benitez. I'm sure (unless I misunderstood) that Rafa or someone associated with him confirmed that Spurs spoke to him but decided to go 'in an other direction'. Thing is, it's hardly a shocker, Levy is going to speak to a few people I expect to make sure the direction he takes is 100% the right one (although we've botched it several times before). So much is said and shared these days that its nigh impossible to really know what is going on and we all have a habit of taking things literally most of the time.

Back