• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bild reporting that Luuk De Jong is about to sign for Borussia Möenchengladbach

Because suing takes time and money and also damages relations.

He is just playing hardball, as are Ajax. I reckon they will reach a settlement fairly soon.

Can't see Sahin coming here. The player himself says he doesn't want to move as being at Real is "like a dream". Despite the fact he spends most of his time dreaming on the bench... He's a wasted talent at Real! Needs 1st team football and we need a player like Sahin to replace Modric. But Doubt it'll happen. Levy will go for cash deal I think

Real are among the worst offenders for PR manipulation, through player comments and media leaks etc - I wouldnt honestly pay much attention to that.

Wouldnt be at all surprised if VDV had said similar not long before joining us.

Sahin has a choice, play or dont play (and lets be honest, Mourinho would probably put it like that!), Madrid could effectively push him out.

different positions as well surely, if Jose's looking for Modric to play the Silva position then there's far better and cheaper on the market than him.

We're talking around a million quid here aren't we? Just pay the fudging money and have done with it!!

We have agreed a fee with Ajax. Why should we pay another £1.5 million that Ajax is contractually obliged to pay Vertonghen?

It always amazes me how casual people are with our money! It's as if they think that £1.5 million isn't very much! Well, it is! Especially in the context of Spurs also having to buy other players and pay a squad of 30-40 odd professionals a wage that will allow us to be as competitive as possible with other clubs that have greater resources. Every penny that we unnecessarily waste on overpaying for new signings is money that we cannot subsequently spend elsewhere.

So calm down, everyone! This contract dispute is between Vertonghen and Ajax. It's nothing to do with us. We've done our bit. Thankfully, unlike the fans, Levy has balls of steel. Vertonghen will sign for Spurs. And we won't pay any more than the figure hat has already been agreed.

Last edited:
Its a fair shout, and did occur to me. I think the Silva/Modric comparison is lazy and incorrect - but thats what the papers were saying last week.

I think Modric would fit brilliantly at Madrid - but not in the same way Silva would.

More like the legs between Alonso and Ozil, knitting things together...

different positions as well surely, if Jose's looking for Modric to play the Silva position then there's far better and cheaper on the market than him.

How are they planning to fit Modric and Xabi Alonso into the team? Both play deep and are creative CMs. Is signing Modric a plan just to ensure that they have cover in that position and can play one of Alonso/Modric alongside Khedira/[Diarra] in CM so have one creative CM and one defensive CM? Seems to me that moving to Real will mean Modric plays maybe 25 games per year

I think its works on the basis of Alonso sitting deep and Modric breaking from deep and working further into midfield - with Ozil the focal point at the tip

Its a bit of a misconception to say Modric plays deep IMO. He STARTS deep, but he doesnt stay there does he!

I think its works on the basis of Alonso sitting deep and Modric breaking from deep and working further into midfield - with Ozil the focal point at the tip

Its a bit of a misconception to say Modric plays deep IMO. He STARTS deep, but he doesnt stay there does he!

Cant believe that they would field Alonso and Modric together as a CM pairing

Modric is far better deep - his strengths are keeping the ball moving and kntting the team together rather than being up by the CF to play the final ball. Modric plays the ball before the final ball. Also, bar the odd spectacular goal, his shooting is pretty dire

Back