• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rather different situation.

We didn't have a new manager with new ideas and the need for new players to execute those ideas last summer.

We weren't about to lose Modric last summer.

We still had Pavlyuchenko last summer.

Quite so.
If amateur football enthusiasts (or Spurs fans as we like to be called) can apparently spot glaring deficiencies in a team, then I rather think seasoned professionals whose entire WORKING LIFE is devoted to the topic will not only spot the same thing - if it is valid - but will be aware and have begun taking action before any of us even know about it.
And what we also do NOT know is the behind-the-scenes machinations that delay or prevent various plans/transfers coming to fruition.

All we have is a drip-feed of agenda-driven half-truth (if we're lucky) from a media machine that thrives on the 24 hour frenzy and the instant gratification culture of fans wanting information, exclusives, transfers, success now now now.

Is this a synonym game? ;)

Sorry, fella, but it ain't us living in "cloud cuckoo land" if you think that the likes of Moutinho, Willian or Damiao wouldn't sign for Spurs.

Moutinho has already sent us a huge public "come and get me plea". Partly because he'd love to play for AVB again; partly because the Portuguese league to the Premier League is a massive step up; and partly because we would pay him considerably more than he earns at Porto.

Willian has the choice of living in Donetsk and playing in a backwater league or coming to Spurs, living in one of the greatest cities in the world and playing in the richest and most popular league in the world. No brainer.

And Damiao has only recently broken through in Brazil. He's proved nothing yet. And he will be able to earn far more at Spurs than he does at Internacional.

Lets see shall we. We havent exactly pulled up any trees in out transfer policy lately.

Would love to have your optimism.

it seems to me that he's claiming we have signed moutinho. on a four year deal. for 25m. what a load of horse brick.

Lol and on that we probably don't disagree. I share your scepticism. There is an increasing number of sad individuals who like to pretend (to themselves and others) they are 'connected'. Even sadder some believe it. I do hope we sign players of the quality of Mouthino but at the moment I am clueless about what we are up to so will just wait and see where we are in a weeks time.

Lets see shall we. We havent exactly pulled up any trees in out transfer policy lately.

Would love to have your optimism.

Adebayor was worth £25 million odd a few years ago! Still in his prime.

Vertonghen was the best player in the Dutch Eredivisie.

Sigurdsson chose us over Liverpool.

Those are some pretty fudging big trees! Certainly, as big as Moutinho, Willian and Damiao.

it seems to me that he's claiming we have signed moutinho. on a four year deal. for 25m. what a load of horse brick.

Are you going by past experience of ITKs in general? I don't understand how you can say its horse brick if he has never said anything ITK previously?

The question now is are we better off with avb's changes

This is the key question and will take time to determine the answer. But in the short term much of the anxiety displayed by fans relates to the considerable real and speculated changes AVB is/intends to make.

I answered that already. Even assuming we were somehow to bid £20m plus for a player. Without CL, and without paying top wages - just why would someone join us.

Take off your Spurs rosetinted for a moment and again I ask you - would you come to Spurs if you were a CL quality player already? If so - why?

Moutinho. Top talent. Playing in Portugal. Wants to move onto bigger leagues. Wants to work with AVB. We could, I expect, offer him higher wages within our current budget. We would have the money to buy him - why COULDNT we get him?

"This is football. If I let Rafa go it’s because I’ve allowed him to go. It’s not because someone is forcing me to.”

“It is straightforward to everyone the quality of the player but it is extremely difficult,” said Villas-Boas. “The player has overtaken the price that Tottenham can achieve.” - re. Moutinho

Adebayor was worth £25 million odd a few years ago! Still in his prime.

Vertonghen was the best player in the Dutch Eredivisie.

Sigurdsson chose us over Liverpool.

Those are some pretty fudging big trees! Certainly, as big as Moutinho, Willian and Damiao.

If you look at what it was reported we actually paid for those players - you will begin to answer your own question.

Good players, but none of them stellar signings.

For me it's partly who our chairman is (who I do like) and partly because we're trying to finance a new stadium.

Levy's preferred targets are players who have started to establish themselves but not fully established and cost between say £7m and £15m-ish. That way there is scope for them to develop more and their value increase. Paying £20m - £30m leaves no upside (realistically) in transfer value.

Throw in the new stadium and I really can't see us pay £20m plus this window for one player

Do you not think the market has moved on somewhat from the days we can just operate within that range?

Look at Vertonghen, £12m was it? He is in a similar vein to the sort of buys we we making 5 years ago for half that.

£12m for a defender is a hell of a lot of money, at least it used to be.

While I fully endorse the "buy them cheap, develop them" philosophy "Cheap" is a relative term isnt it?!

Moutinho. Top talent. Playing in Portugal. Wants to move onto bigger leagues. Wants to work with AVB. We could, I expect, offer him higher wages within our current budget. We would have the money to buy him - why COULDNT we get him?
He's the perennial nearly man of "big" transfers. I'm sure he just wants to finally get into one of the big leagues by now, even if that means a club not gaurenteed CL

Do you not think the market has moved on somewhat from the days we can just operate within that range?

Look at Vertonghen, £12m was it? He is in a similar vein to the sort of buys we we making 5 years ago for half that.

£12m for a defender is a hell of a lot of money, at least it used to be.

While I fully endorse the "buy them cheap, develop them" philosophy "Cheap" is a relative term isnt it?!

It's £7m rising to £9.6m.

"This is football. If I let Rafa go it’s because I’ve allowed him to go. It’s not because someone is forcing me to.”

“It is straightforward to everyone the quality of the player but it is extremely difficult,” said Villas-Boas. “The player has overtaken the price that Tottenham can achieve.” - re. Moutinho

Even AVB admits he is out of our league pricewise

If we don't get Moutinho for reasons of cost I would speculate it is because we are aiming to bring in a number of players thus increasing the overall costs and thus why we would be unable to simply splash the Modric money on one single player. But at this stage nothing is clear, AVB's press conference comments were littered with qualifying phrases, 'at the moment' being one of the most evident.

Originally Posted by Pirate55
If you look at what it was reported we actually paid for those players - you will begin to answer your own question.

Good players, but none of them stellar signings.

Err...........you were talking about wages and insisting that players like Moutinho, Willian and Damiao wouldn't want to come for Spurs.

And it's simply not true.

Much more difficult to sign Adebayor than those three potential signings. Ade would have been earning three, four or even times as much at City than what the others are earning at their current clubs.

And, I repeat, a player in the Portuguese, Ukrainian or Brazilian leagues (though less so the latter these days) would all jump at the chance to play for a top club in the Premier League.

As to the low prices paid for our three signings thus far:

Sigurdsson - granted....he's one for the future.

Ade - signed for £5 million but with another £4 million signing on fee. And it's a complete steal only because of the ridiculous wages that he was on at City. He's easily worth £20 million plus and is far, far more proven than Damiao.

Vertonghen - we only got him for £9 million because he only had a year of his contract left to run. If he was on long term contract, he would also have been worth £20 million.

Back