• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

Agree…but I think he can’t be a definite starter for now. He needs to earn his place back off the bench.
I fear the captain role has had an adverse effect on him. He seems like a person that takes things personally, is overly responsible and is afraid of making mistakes and "letting the team down". Even more as a captain. Loss of pace is one thing, but after a failed attempt at passing someone, he takes the safe short pass option for the next 15 minutes and often fails doing that as well. He never shoots when outside the box anymore, from where he has curved so many great and unsaveable goals. He's always been a bit of a confidence player, but now it's almost absurd.

A good old CTRL-ALT-DELETE would be in place.

I fear the captain role has had an adverse effect on him. He seems like a person that takes things personally, is overly responsible and is afraid of making mistakes and "letting the team down". Even more as a captain. Loss of pace is one thing, but after a failed attempt at passing someone, he takes the safe short pass option for the next 15 minutes and often fails doing that as well. He never shoots when outside the box anymore, from where he has curved so many great and unsaveable goals. He's always been a bit of a confidence player, but now it's almost absurd.

A good old CTRL-ALT-DELETE would be in place.

He’s an insanely good captain.

He is a woeful captain on the pitch
Doesn’t lead at all
Might be great off it (looks that way)

What do you mean by lead on the pitch? Specifically what is he not doing that a captain should do? Do you believe there’s only one way to be a good captain?

What do you mean by lead on the pitch? Specifically what is he not doing that a captain should do? Do you believe there’s only one way to be a good captain?
When we were under the cosh after they scored did you see him do anything? Was he getting onto players, encouraging those that needed, bollicking those that needed it? No, he did nothing. He's not captain material. Added onto that it seems the fact that he is captain makes him almost undroppable to Ange.

When we were under the cosh after they scored did you see him do anything? Was he getting onto players, encouraging those that needed, bollicking those that needed it? No, he did nothing. He's not captain material. Added onto that it seems the fact that he is captain makes him almost undroppable to Ange.

So if the thing he’s missing is giving players a gonading, Vicario is the number one pick? Sounds like a cliched version of a captain.

He doesn’t get dropped because he’s still one of the best players in the world, not because he’s captain. He’s regularly taken off because he has poor games or because he runs so much and knackers himself.

So if the thing he’s missing is giving players a gonad*ing, Vicario is the number one pick? Sounds like a cliched version of a captain.

He doesn’t get dropped because he’s still one of the best players in the world, not because he’s captain. He’s regularly taken off because he has poor games or because he runs so much and knackers himself.
You pick only the gonading out of that? The little bit that suits your argument? Some people react to encouragement (which you conveniently left out), others to a kick up the arse. Son should be doing which is needed.

He is far from one of the best players in the world. At one stage he was close to world class, but he hasn't been for the last couple of years.

Your defending of some is starting to sound obsessive.

Even if he gets in the region of 10-12 goals, he is contributing nothing else in the game. I'd rather have a tricky winner that contributes across the 90min.
I'd also say 10-12 goals with our extremely attacking way of playing isn't a particularly great return for a forward of ours.

I love Son, and there's no doubt everyone at the club loves him but I never thought he'd make a great captain and I don't see it on the pitch - yes on the training pitch he's messing around with everyone and is good for morale but beyond that? There are other types of captains that will drive the team by taking the game by the scruff of the neck and producing on the ball but he doesn't do that anymore, perhaps in his peak it would have been different. But I honestly don't think he's good enough to be first choice anymore, and the fact he is our captain is concerning....

I'd also say 10-12 goals with our extremely attacking way of playing isn't a particularly great return for a forward of ours.

I love Son, and there's no doubt everyone at the club loves him but I never thought he'd make a great captain and I don't see it on the pitch - yes on the training pitch he's messing around with everyone and is good for morale but beyond that? There are other types of captains that will drive the team by taking the game by the scruff of the neck and producing on the ball but he doesn't do that anymore, perhaps in his peak it would have been different. But I honestly don't think he's good enough to be first choice anymore, and the fact he is our captain is concerning....

I agree he’s on the decline but he’s better than Werner so he should start the majority of games until we get someone better. Hopefully the new guy from Burnley will be that guy.

You pick only the gonading out of that? The little bit that suits your argument? Some people react to encouragement (which you conveniently left out), others to a kick up the arse. Son should be doing which is needed.

He is far from one of the best players in the world. At one stage he was close to world class, but he hasn't been for the last couple of years.

Your defending of some is starting to sound obsessive.

You gave two options:

“Was he getting onto players, encouraging those that needed, bollicking those that needed it?”

So yes, I did and often do see him encouraging players.

I’m defending him because he’s a quite clearly world class — there’s barely a team in the world who would not want him. I think the reason he and Romero in particular were picked out are proof of this: probably our only two world class players, and we need more from both of them.

I agree he’s on the decline but he’s better than Werner so he should start the majority of games until we get someone better. Hopefully the new guy from Burnley will be that guy.
IMO Werner would've have done better than Son on the left yesterday. Son had lots of space and received lots of the ball, sometimes closer to the halfway line with the opportunity to beat just one player on the outside and sometimes in and around their penalty area with a chance to deliver a pass/cross that would lead to a goalscoring opportunity. If Postecoglou wants to get the best out of Son on the left hand side then I think he needs to mix it up a bit and get Udogie getting high and wide to create some space inside for Son to use.

Back