• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

I thought Son was our weakest player overall on Monday night. Johnson had a poor game but still had the moment where he chested it down and hit a good volley and also the shot/cross across goal from Maddison's free kick that Son really should've been keeping up with for a tap in instead of being 3 yards behind Johnson (I think had that been the other way round then Johnson would've been at the far post for the chance to convert that into a goal.

Son had the luxury of having both a lot of space and also a lot of balls passed to him quite quickly but didn't make anything of those promising situations. I can't help but think that our tactics of having Udogie coming inside nullifies Son a bit as ideally he'd like to cut in and hit a shot with his right foot but it gets too congested in there for that to happen.
Son doesn’t suit the system
But son is the current icon
It’s a dilemma
He also gets so much ball that he should maximise more with his talent

IMG_0364.png

We do play too much down the left IMO and should switch play more and much much quicker

Son doesn’t suit the system
But son is the current icon
It’s a dilemma
He also gets so much ball that he should maximise more with his talent

View attachment 17548

We do play too much down the left IMO and should switch play more and much much quicker

I think first half his interplay with Madders and Udogie was a real high point, would have liked him to get shots off when cutting in, in fact the whole side could have pulled more triggers. 2nd half he dropped off a cliff IMO, last year Ange was abit more ruthless with him and early subbed, maybe needed again this year

I think first half his interplay with Madders and Udogie was a real high point, would have liked him to get shots off when cutting in, in fact the whole side could have pulled more triggers. 2nd half he dropped off a cliff IMO, last year Ange was abit more ruthless with him and early subbed, maybe needed again this year
A lot of it though was backwards
When they went forwards if was tidy but the pass map shows the interactions.
I think the backwards passing things is a plan and tactical by the way

Yeh but still some nice touches in and around the box, little flicks round the corner etc. Son was far from horrible first half being my overarching point, second half he was totally horrible highlighted in the touch when he looked very much in for a shot

its ok to pass backwards or sideways but its what happens after that is important.
we can't seem to find a way through the centre, we are unwilling to cede space so there are 8 defenders in the box, and we don't shoot from outside to try to draw them out to block.

that cross by madders for the goal - i wonder if it was aimed at porro or solanke? it was unusual for porro to run across to the the goal but maybe thats why it worked. intentional or not?

its ok to pass backwards or sideways but its what happens after that is important.
we can't seem to find a way through the centre, we are unwilling to cede space so there are 8 defenders in the box, and we don't shoot from outside to try to draw them out to block.

that cross by madders for the goal - i wonder if it was aimed at porro or solanke? it was unusual for porro to run across to the the goal but maybe thats why it worked. intentional or not?
It was aimed at Solanke IMO

Yeah on the pitch you lead
He has not shown any signs of that in any games where the worm has turned
In fact… he has almost hid
Off the pitch it’s the polar opposite
I see nothing on the pitch at the games form him making people accountable, telling people what to do, how to react, how to change things. That’s on the pitch leadership
You're just writing pure lies now. I see him talking and organising every single game.
You're just trying to re-write history to make it fit your view.

You're just writing pure lies now. I see him talking and organising every single game.
You’re watching on TV I assume?
Don’t see it at the game when I’m there
See nothing the brain a hands on head moment a lot
I’m not the only one judging by the papers before this

This is what's great about football, a game where 22 grown men run after a pig's bladder, where the 11 men who kick it in between two posts the most times win. The rest is opinions. Lots and lots of opinions.

To me, I have also seen Son talk many times, as I have seen the other players talk too. What they talk about, nobody but themselves know (I would have loved mics on both players and refs). When it comes to organising, well, that may be. But I'd say that's more of a positional responsibility rather than a role based one. IMO. How could Lloris organise a set piece outside the box, who takes what free kick or give a message to the right flank to switch up play or who to cover? And if organising is his responsibility, then our at times very messy defense would also in part be down to him - which of course is not the case. So what's left to organise really? This is mainly the job of a manager I'd say, and the entire team as a unit to adhere to whoever conveys the message. A different school of though may apply to others.

Again, the rest i about opinions based on what we as individuals think a captain should do and how football should be played, which certainly has no influence whatsoever on what our captains actually do or how we actually play football. But one thing I think most of us can agree upon regardless of what tasks he actually has, is the fact that a captain never should go hiding or lose presence. For a player of his type, to me he is one of, if not the first to go missing when the going gets tough. It hasn't always been that way, but now he is one of the first to apparently lose confidence in himself when things aren't going well, and one of the first to go cautious when what we need is bravery. Audere and all that. He is arguably world class and our best shooter from outside the box, in an area where he's actually able to influence things, but now he doesn't lead by example and take his chances in better positions than from where he has scored worldies earlier. Instead he now too often lays off the ball for others to do something useful. The decline may of course coincide with apparent loss of his main qualities such as pace, and for all I know it is instructions from Ange that the team should dribble the ball into the net. But then I'd say he also doesn't want to win matches so I highly doubt it. And I'm not saying I get everything that happens, but if he does indeed organise and takes responsibility for the team when faced with adversity, I honestly can't say I think he does a very good job at it - on a regular basis at least.

I think a lot of posters has been way too harsh on Son over the years for going missing when he actually hasn't, when they at the same time have praised players who does double the amount of turnarounds and play a lot worse. And I take pride in not (intentionally) bad-mouth one of our players unless I truly believe he contributes nothing but rather stinks up the place at that particular moment. But now I see it myself more often than not, even if he is one of my top 5 favourite players the last 10 years, then it's up to others to tell me I don't understand football.

Last edited:
This is what's great about football, a game where 22 grown men run after a pig's bladder, where the 11 men who kick it in between two posts the most times win. The rest is opinions. Lots and lots of opinions.

To me, I have also seen Son talk many times, as I have seen the other players talk too. What they talk about, nobody but themselves know (I would have loved mics on both players and refs). When it comes to organising, well, that may be. But I'd say that's more of a positional responsibility rather than a role based one. IMO. How could Lloris organise a set piece outside the box, who takes what free kick or give a message to the right flank to switch up play or who to cover? And if organising is his responsibility, then our at times very messy defense would also in part be down to him - which of course is not the case. So what's left to organise really? This is mainly the job of a manager I'd say, and the entire team as a unit to adhere to whoever conveys the message. A different school of though may apply to others.

Again, the rest i about opinions based on what we as individuals think a captain should do and how football should be played, which certainly has no influence whatsoever on what our captains actually do or how we actually play football. But one thing I think most of us can agree upon regardless of what tasks he actually has, is the fact that a captain never should go hiding or lose presence. For a player of his type, to me he is one of, if not the first to go missing when the going gets tough. It hasn't always been that way, but now he is one of the first to apparently lose confidence in himself when things aren't going well, and one of the first to go cautious when what we need is bravery. Audere and all that. He is arguably world class and our best shooter from outside the box, in an area where he's actually able to influence things, but now he doesn't lead by example and take his chances in better positions than from where he has scored worldies earlier. Instead he now too often lays off the ball for others to do something useful. The decline may of course coincide with apparent loss of his main qualities such as pace, and for all I know it is instructions from Ange that the team should dribble the ball into the net. But then I'd say he also doesn't want to win matches so I highly doubt it. And I'm not saying I get everything that happens, but if he does indeed organise and takes responsibility for the team when faced with adversity, I honestly can't say I think he does a very good job at it - on a regular basis at least.

I think a lot of posters has been way too harsh on Son over the years for going missing when he actually hasn't, when they at the same time have praised players who does double the amount of turnarounds and play a lot worse. And I take pride in not (intentionally) bad-mouth one of our players unless I truly believe he contributes nothing but rather stinks up the place at that particular moment. But now I see it myself more often than not, even if he is one of my top 5 favourite players the last 10 years, then it's up to others to tell me I don't understand football.
Son has been class
Doesn’t mean he still is
He may well be
I think he and an injury last year after his tournament and I don’t think our game suits him. That may have a knock on to his performances of course
Off the pitch he leads. He is an ambassador of the club and himself. I haven’t seen it on the pitch, other than when he argued with Hugo which I’m fine with

Seems the demise of our captain has been a little exaggerated

Both goals used his pace and finishing

Give him the space to run into and the result is predictable

Well, that's pretty much what everyone has been saying. Problem is we don't get him the ball in those positions.

still the best finisher at the club by a mile. The Saudi Sportswashing Machine game gets brought up endlessly but we just need to use him smartly and he can still be good for us.

Back