• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So, what happened today?

Just on a train back from dinner and drinks in London for work
Normal night mid week for some
But leaving a pub some young lady collapsed… hit the deck like a premier league footballer
Barely breathing
Two ladies picked her up and she was a dead weight
I literally spoke earlier to a colleague about would you step in, in an emergency and help out
I class this as an emergency
He did nothing
I ended up calling an ambulance which may well be A waste of time. Grabbed a trainee nurse who was outside and helped put her in a recovery position
Landlord turned up and didn’t like the fact he had drunk customers so I kicked off… pubs sell alcohol that means you can get smashed but don’t wanna know when you can’t stand up. What a grim scenario
But anyway.. the reason I’m writing is it suddenly made me think of my girl who is soon to be 10 and how I’d like someone to help..
Now I feel old (47 in a few weeks) and I can’t change the world, but I’d gladly change just a few things to make it better
I feel the same at the moment
Still in Rhodes until tonight and this experience has made me realise just how blessed and lucky my life is and I want to help others who are not far more

But leaving a pub some young lady collapsed… hit the deck like a premier league footballer
Barely breathing
I literally spoke earlier to a colleague about would you step in, in an emergency and help out
He did nothing
I ended up calling an ambulance which may well be A waste of time. Grabbed a trainee nurse who was outside and helped put her in a recovery position
Landlord turned up and didn’t like the fact he had drunk customers so I kicked off… pubs sell alcohol that means you can get smashed but don’t wanna know when you can’t stand up. What a grim scenario
But anyway.. the reason I’m writing is it suddenly made me think of my girl who is soon to be 10 and how I’d like someone to help..
Now I feel old (47 in a few weeks) and I can’t change the world, but I’d gladly change just a few things to make it better
Well done mate.

A few years back one of my kids got a bang in the head playing football and was out cold for a bit. When he came around he was babbling and obviously concussed. An ambulance was called and on the way to the hospital with him I don't think I've ever felt as useless. A while after work was looking for volunteers to learn first aid (first responder) and I jumped on it. All I could think while doing the course was why it wasn't mandatory that everyone learn this stuff. It should be.

Barely breathing
He did nothing

I remember a good number of years ago walking to an after-work function with a couple of colleagues, one male, one female. Around 6pm on a summer's evening. There was a girl ahead of us staggering from side to side as she walked along, clearly very the worse for wear. Then she tripped, hit the deck and her head. We rushed to help. She was conscious but a bit out of it and bleeding. Long story short I called an ambulance but the wait was forever and she didn't want one anyway. My colleague managed to get into her phone and left a message for the woman's boyfriend (she managed to give us his name). She eventually got to her feet and started to stagger off (bleeding from her head) and not overly gracious at having been assisted, so my male colleague (who would have been a good 30 years older) went with her and got her to Liverpool St station.
It was a really good thing of him to do that, but at the same time when I look back at least one of us should have gone as well as she could have turned on him at any point and accused him of anything. Sad really that such a thing would even be a possibility.

Well done mate.

A few years back one of my kids got a bang in the head playing football and was out cold for a bit. When he came around he was babbling and obviously concussed. An ambulance was called and on the way to the hospital with him I don't think I've ever felt as useless. A while after work was looking for volunteers to learn first aid (first responder) and I jumped on it. All I could think while doing the course was why it wasn't mandatory that everyone learn this stuff. It should be.
I've always said this. Last year of secondary school, all students learn first aid.

If we had an army of first responders (and I couldn't care if it led to 'too many cooks')..so many situations would have a greater chance of a positive outcome.

Barely breathing
He did nothing

well done for stopping. My wife has epilepsy and so now i always stop to check on people if they're passed out in case it's something i can help with, given i now have extensive knowledge on the matter.

well done for stopping. My wife has epilepsy and so now i always stop to check on people if they're passed out in case it's something i can help with, given i now have extensive knowledge on the matter.
It was instinct
I was talking to my wife about it last night. What’s bugged me in the cold light of day was what could have happened otherwise… that’s the world we kinda live it now. I guess we always have of course

It was instinct
I was talking to my wife about it last night. What’s bugged me in the cold light of day was what could have happened otherwise… that’s the world we kinda live it now. I guess we always have of course
You’re right about the world and it kinda being the same. Substitute billionaires for kings and queens, and here we are. The frustration for me is that we know better and could be doing better. But we still effectively have masses of people living in filth and squalor, and a few relatively immune to that suffering. The major difference is the ‘middle class’, living relatively comfortable lives. Talking Heads were (funky) and not wrong. Same as it ever was.

Well done mate.

Good lad, when i was taking my coaching badges one of the things i had to do was take several first aid classes to progress. Its amazing how much confidence it gives you to know just what to do in a emergency and how good it feels to actually help when needed.

Good lad, when i was taking my coaching badges one of the things i had to do was take several first aid classes to progress. Its amazing how much confidence it gives you to know just what to do in a emergency and how good it feels to actually help when needed.

I'm not sure they even teach first aid in school, we never learnt it. Should be mandatory.

I've always said this. Last year of secondary school, all students learn first aid.

If we had an army of first responders (and I couldn't care if it led to 'too many cooks')..so many situations would have a greater chance of a positive outcome.

Outrageous, why would we want to teach kids things like first aid, growing your own food or managing personal finance / taxes? Pythagoras' theorem and how a bow lake is formed and the process of photosynthesis is obviously way more important.

Outrageous, why would we want to teach kids things like first aid, growing your own food or managing personal finance / taxes? Pythagoras' theorem and how a bow lake is formed and the process of photosynthesis is obviously way more important.

Hahaha, I was having this exact conversation yesterday with a mate, we were talking about our old school days and I said that I felt he sciences were a wasted GCSE in comparison to essential life skills, some of the overly specific stuff that you are unlikely to apply to life.

Food management, like you say, growing and being able to cook, money management, understanding of the credit score system etc etc, give people to tools to have a better chance. Much better use of school and that period of growth IMO

The skillset for the pyroscene will be quite a bit different than the current curriculum. A bit of science can't harm but it needs to have a practical focus.

Isn’t the whole point of teaching science- the rigour of the scientific method, reasoning and rationalism.

We should learn better to employ tools such as word processors and calculators. Just as an example we use lathes and forges in metalwork rather than asking kids to make stone tools.

It’s really holding kids up. They could be at 10 where they are at 16 easily enough.
The academic focus of the science we learn could quite easily have a more pragmatic slant and maybe should do considering the future ahead of us. For example, teaching about electricity could easily be a preliminary step to the practicalities of wiring a solar panel. Or biology as a first step into growing food, horticulture, etc. It is late, much later than most think in the climate emergency and some skills will have no relevance for the place we are heading.

I don't quite get your comment (in bold).

Just been to see we are scientists
Cracking and that I first saw I think in 2007
They actually engage and talk with the audience which is a dark art
I’ve seen then playing festivals, 2000
Cap venues and esquires in Bedford with 260 people. They always turn up and put in all the effort
There is so much to say and respect bands that your like this. They did better and bigger but now do smaller and quicker to make the money

Back