• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Set Pieces

Our set pieces and in particular corners had impressed me today. There were also a couple of moments at Chelscum

Today just showed why it is so fudgein important to make use of set pieces. It worked to our advantage today.

WE have been saying that for years. Why cant our coaching staff sort it out? King is a collosus at the back and wins most headers. What was the stat today - he hasnt scored at WHL for over five years. How many corners has he come up for in that time. Why cant he head the ball down? Almost all his headers just waft over the crossbar. I still blame the coaches for this inadequacy.

I think the Stoke game was a serious wake up call. We have been bad at set pieces for years, but that Stoke game was a tinkletake! It was highlighted on Sky Sports News our shocking stats and and when our last goal from a corner was. Redknapp was even asked a question about it in the Chelsea press conference I believe. Good to see it isn't just Spurs fans who watch the team every week that have noticed how appalling we are at them..
Yeah but what do the fans know? All they do is phone in to Talk Sport and moan. Idiots! 8-[

The ginger was nothing special - Gomes would have saved all those. They were all weak/poorly placed shots straight at him. The ones which Bale/Walker nearly missed - the didn't even move. Same for Saha's strike = clueless

The ginger was nothing special - Gomes would have saved all those. They were all weak/poorly placed shots straight at him. The ones which Bale/Walker nearly missed - the didn't even move. Same for Saha's strike = clueless

The double save from someone then Modric (?) was very good. But apart from that Mr Weasley was pretty ordinary, and certainly undeserving of MOTM.

I remember reading something about the goalkeeper kit that Petr Cech wore for Chelsea's Champions League final with Man Utd was specially designed as it was fluorescent yellow, which naturally draws a striker's attention towards it and subconsciously makes them shoot straight at it instead of in the corner. Think something similar (especially with the hair being the same colour!) was at work last night!

Fair play to him though. Although none of them were acrobatic diving saves, he made himself big whenever we got near the goal and made it difficult for our guys, but having said that we missed some great chances that we should really have scored.

He would have thrown a few of those into his own net. That was always his problem, not saving the things he should save....

I was impressed throughout with VDV's corners, he really hits them with pace and dip and curl, and always cleared the first man. Please Luka, stop taking corners!

but he wasn't doing that in the last game - always hit the first man.

i honestly think he's practising them - putting a bit more loft on them... it worked.

According to Norwegian commentators during the Chelsea game Harry had said that the team had been working on set pieces after the Stoke game.

2nd game after that and we score from a corner. And we looked threatening many times during the Bolton game, and we looked a lot better at set plays against Chelsea than we had in a long time.

Strange that...

The biggest art of a top level goalkeeper is making saves look easy....and you do that by positioning yourself correctly so you don't have to dive.

This, the lad saved them because he positioned himself well and made himself big when it mattered, that's good goalkeeping. It did help that our strikers were terrible, says it all that Nelson got the opener.

The biggest art of a top level goalkeeper is making saves look easy....and you do that by positioning yourself correctly so you don't have to dive.

Exactly. Right place.

All the shots on target were not atrocious. Its hardly a critisism that he saved all the shots he should have!

He messed up for the first goal, slate him for that instead!

WE have been saying that for years. Why cant our coaching staff sort it out? King is a collosus at the back and wins most headers. What was the stat today - he hasnt scored at WHL for over five years. How many corners has he come up for in that time. Why cant he head the ball down? Almost all his headers just waft over the crossbar. I still blame the coaches for this inadequacy.

Do have to wonder why Ferdinand can't seem to teach any of the players how to head the ball into the back of the net considering how adept he was at that during his playing days.

Hopefully they have been shamed into practising set pieces and we'll finally reap the rewards during the run-in, as we saw last night quite how important a goal from a corner can be when playing against stubborn teams who park-the-bus against us and we'll be facing a few more like that over the coming months.

All this will become moot once Moyes is in charge and Baines is there to take all the dead balls. 8-[

set pieces are the responsibility.
its not the players.
the coaches need to study every team we play and come up with a gameplan.

feelgood factor vs discipline in training at odds i suppose.

Back