• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Set Pieces

What's quite surprising about the above is that it suggests, prior to the barren run of 121 without success, we were performing as well as anyone, with roughly 6% conversion (about 1 goal for every 16 corners).

Yes, that's what I've read in the past as well. We've been around average at corners, people were still complaining about them, including myself mind :) But recently both our attacking and defending of set pieces really has been abject, and I think these stats back it up.

In contrast, Blackburn have had the 4th fewest amount of corners, but only United and Emirates Marketing Project have scored more goals from corners.

Just heard Redknapp say on SSN that we are a small team and Kaboul is the only great header of the ball. ](*,)

I think both of those are true.

However, it's equally true that against what I think is the tallest team in the PL Harry had the option of starting Sandro instead of Parker to help negate the height difference, but he didn't and we conceded from a set play.

Yet ManU with a similarly short team and having to make do without Vidic have managed to score twice as many goals from corners as us #-o

I don't think United have a short team. Most of the time this season they've had either Jones or Smalling at right back in addition to the centre halves, all 3 of those players are normally very good in the air, all better than our 2nd strongest in the air behind Kaboul.

And Hernandez regularly scores headers despite his size.

As does Tim Cahill, guess it's more about timing the run and having a good jump than merely being tall like Adebayor :-k

You'd think Sir Les might be able to coach the players better on heading the ball considering how good he was at that skill during his playing days...

I don't think United have a short team. Most of the time this season they've had either Jones or Smalling at right back in addition to the centre halves, all 3 of those players are normally very good in the air, all better than our 2nd strongest in the air behind Kaboul.

The team ManU fielded against us had 5 players under 6' in height (Scholes, Young, Nani, Rooney, Evra) in their starting line-up which was the same as ours (Livermore, BAE, Lennon, Walker, Modric) and yet they still were able to be more effective at corners.

Last edited:
from the infamous Goal.com...full article here

http://http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/03/23/2985888/from-rescue-to-ruin-harry-redknapps-england-ambition-is

Whether it is the England job or not, Redknapp must accept a large portion of the blame for what has quickly gone from a blip to a full-blown implosion.

Admittedly, Spurs have missed the influence of key players absent through injury, most notably Aaron Lennon and Emmanuel Adebayor, but Redknapp has made a series of curious decisions in recent weeks.

The team have lacked balance, shape and tactics. Gareth Bale has often been allowed to roam wherever he wants on the pitch, Luka Modric has been shunted into wide positions, and Redknapp has ceded the midfield battle by playing two strikers against strong teams like Arsenal, Manchester United and Everton.

The passing lacks rhythm, the defence looks disorganised and the set-pieces are woeful, a direct product of a lack of practice in training that even the players are complaining about privately.

Redknapp is a superb man-manager when the team is playing well, but there have constantly been questions over his ability to respond when things start going wrong. They did, after all, win just two of their final 12 games last season, a run of results that cost them a place in the top four.

As does Tim Cahill, guess it's more about timing the run and having a good jump than merely being tall like Adebayor :-k

You'd think Sir Les might be able to coach the players better on heading the ball considering how good he was at that skill during his playing days...

The team ManU fielded against us had 5 players under 6' in height (Scholes, Young, Nani, Rooney, Evra) in their starting line-up which was the same as ours (Livermore, BAE, Lennon, Walker, Modric) and yet they still were able to be more effective at corners.

Rooney ain't exactly a giant is he? He scored a header from a corner against us.

Rooney ain't exactly a giant is he? He scored a header from a corner against us.

Indeed, he's only 5'9" (Kyle Walker who was meant to be marking him is 5'10") but when corners are whipped in at pace as ManU manage to consistently do then players only need to get a touch on it for them to score.

Unlike our floated corners which (even on the rare occasions that they beat the first defender) require a perfectly timed run in order for the player to get enough power on the ball to be able to beat the keeper/ defender on the line.

I think that Harry is feeling the pressure big time. Just saw some of his press conference denying that the players care if he is around next season. methinks he doth protest too much.
Fact is that 1 point from 4 is dire, and lack of confidence is self-reinforcing...let's hope we get Ade back fit and not just for a game.

The article in goal is just saying what many of us have been thinking I suspect, ie that the players look weary and Harry is distracted.

Last edited:
i used to play in goal in the london afc, every week there would be 20 odd corners in the match routinely swung in under the crossbar, if fat amateurs can be that consistent why the hell can't our collection of pro's

It's also desire as well. It always strikes me how badly Cahill wants to win every header, seems to want it more than the player marking him 8 times out of 10.

What's quite surprising about the above is that it suggests, prior to the barren run of 121 without success, we were performing as well as anyone, with roughly 6% conversion (about 1 goal for every 16 corners).

I actually calculate that in all competitions we have won 154 corners since last scoring from one (Bale v Bolton on 3 Dec).

In total we have won 283 corners this season scoring on 3 occasions (Kaboul v Man C, Bale v Wigan and Bale v Bolton); that is approx 1 goal for every 94 corners. Sadly we concede 1 goal (7 in total) for every 28 corners that we defend.

These stats would be worse if taking into consideration free kicks - only Pav has scored direct from one this year and I reckon on average we win 5 free kicks in the final third each game.

I actually calculate that in all competitions we have won 154 corners since last scoring from one (Bale v Bolton on 3 Dec).

In total we have won 283 corners this season scoring on 3 occasions (Kaboul v Man C, Bale v Wigan and Bale v Bolton); that is approx 1 goal for every 94 corners. Sadly we concede 1 goal (7 in total) for every 28 corners that we defend.

These stats would be worse if taking into consideration free kicks - only Pav has scored direct from one this year and I reckon on average we win 5 free kicks in the final third each game.

These stats are truely mind boggling. Just think where we would be if we were even half decent at dead ball opportunities. Not to even practice them is criminally negligent imo.

Height is an irrelevance for us. We have King, Kaboul, Dawson, Gallas, Adebayor, Bale and none of them can seemingly head a goal from a corner. Neither could Crouch when he played for us.

I don't know why we still insist on taking long corners when we are shyte in heading them. We should just take short corners and try to score from it instead.

One game and one goal from a corner is hardly a sample size worth putting much weight on.

United generally have more players that threaten from corners than we do. And it's about more than just height.

Jones, Smalling, as well as Vidic who is currently injured are all as good in the air as our strongest player in the air (Kaboul). And Ferdinand and Evans are both about the same, or better than players like King, Ade and Bale.

Not saying we shouldn't do better, both with deliver and movement in the box. But we don't have a team that is particularly physically strong or tall.

Back