• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Set Pieces

I actually calculate that in all competitions we have won 154 corners since last scoring from one (Bale v Bolton on 3 Dec).

In total we have won 283 corners this season scoring on 3 occasions (Kaboul v Man C, Bale v Wigan and Bale v Bolton); that is approx 1 goal for every 94 corners. Sadly we concede 1 goal (7 in total) for every 28 corners that we defend.

These stats would be worse if taking into consideration free kicks - only Pav has scored direct from one this year and I reckon on average we win 5 free kicks in the final third each game.

Truly shocking and unforgivable. It has got to the point that when we win a corner, and the crowd roars their encouragement, I don't even feel a flicker of excitement. You just know absolutely nothing will come of it.

Truly shocking and unforgivable. It has got to the point that when we win a corner, and the crowd roars their encouragement, I don't even feel a flicker of excitement. You just know absolutely nothing will come of it.

No, ref! That was a goal kick, FFS!

You are lucky I don't ban you for life after almost inspiring Bogdan to superhuman levels.

Honestly all the saves he made, any keeper could have made them. They were all straight at him! Woeful finishing on our part. Reminiscent of the 74 World Cup qualifier where England were denied by the "clown" goalie Tomaszewski.

Honestly all the saves he made, any keeper could have made them. They were all straight at him! Woeful finishing on our part. Reminiscent of the 74 World Cup qualifier where England were denied by the "clown" goalie Tomaszewski.

Stop. Go now, while we are still distracted by Bale and Defoe beating eachother to a pulp

I was impressed throughout with VDV's corners, he really hits them with pace and dip and curl, and always cleared the first man. Please Luka, stop taking corners!

Well then? Looked to me that we had been giving this a bit more thought on the training ground. Scored from one, came close a couple more times. Kept the ball away from the keeper.

Obvious difference tonight was trusting the role to one player (VDV) who was then able to calibrate his sights as the night went on.

Oh, and clearly Ryan Nelsen is the missing link between success and failure at set-pieces!

Well then? Looked to me that we had been giving this a bit more thought on the training ground. Scored from one, came close a couple more times. Kept the ball away from the keeper.

Obvious difference tonight was trusting the role to one player (VDV) who was then able to calibrate his sights as the night went on.

Oh, and clearly Ryan Nelsen is the missing link between success and failure at set-pieces!

I think the Stoke game was a serious wake up call. We have been bad at set pieces for years, but that Stoke game was a tinkletake! It was highlighted on Sky Sports News our shocking stats and and when our last goal from a corner was. Redknapp was even asked a question about it in the Chelsea press conference I believe. Good to see it isn't just Spurs fans who watch the team every week that have noticed how appalling we are at them..

Our set pieces and in particular corners had impressed me today. There were also a couple of moments at Chelscum

Today just showed why it is so fudgein important to make use of set pieces. It worked to our advantage today.

No wonder it was Nelsen. He is tough and comes from a set piece team where he scored a couple. Maybe the others can learn from him?

I think the Stoke game was a serious wake up call. We have been bad at set pieces for years, but that Stoke game was a tinkletake! It was highlighted on Sky Sports News our shocking stats and and when our last goal from a corner was. Redknapp was even asked a question about it in the Chelsea press conference I believe. Good to see it isn't just Spurs fans who watch the team every week that have noticed how appalling we are at them..

Assuming the lads did train on them then, three days of practise resulted in a deadlock-breaking goal in the 74th minute, against a stubbornly resolute side that looked capable of taking us to extra-time. I hope they realise what a difference set-pieces can make now. And if three days of practise resulted in a goal, just imagine what a couple of weeks of drills will do for our effectiveness.;)

Back