• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rodrigo Bentancur

That’s potentially putting a lot of pressure on the victim. Not necessarily in this situation where we have peer players but imagine a slur against a youth player by a senior player. Who holds the trump card there? It shouldn’t matter because there should be a disciplinary policy that applies across the board.

There shouldn’t be pressure. I just meant that if Son doesn’t have an issue then we should all move on. I said at the time that a fine wouldn’t be unreasonable. On the flip side, if Son has an issue then that’s something the club should seriously listen to and at that point they might have a decision to make in terms of what to do with Bentancur. It just comes across as virtue signalling when the person who has been wronged says they are fine and have moved on but others still want to act outraged.

What bentancur said was offensive. I'm not saying it wasn't.

But an employer shouldn't be able to determine what is offensive or not. That is subjective. It should be objective.

I don't ever wan't an employer to have that power over me. Especially when i wasn't at work.
In this post you literally say it was offensive.... but then say an employer shouldn't be able to determine what is offensive!
It is offensive. You say this and I agree, it is offensive. The employer agrees with us, it is offensive.
One cannot expect Son to come out and cause an issue with his team mate. The statement is offensive and should be dealt with as such, nothing to do with how Son feels.

In this post you literally say it was offensive.... but then say an employer shouldn't be able to determine what is offensive!
It is offensive. You say this and I agree, it is offensive. The employer agrees with us, it is offensive.
One cannot expect Son to come out and cause an issue with his team mate. The statement is offensive and should be dealt with as such, nothing to do with how Son feels.

1 person should not be able to decide what is offensive. Even a judge. It should be society.

I said i wasn't talking about bentancur. I'm talking in general. (Specifically about how much power an employer should have).

Why am I not surprised you take this stance?
It was offensive.

I know it was offensive. I said at the time I didn’t like that Bentancur said it and that I would be absolutely fine with Bentancur receiving a fine for his trouble. I just disagreed that we should sack him. If Son is being pressured into forgiving Bentancur than that’s wrong and I’m totally against that but if what Ange says is true (and I have no reason to doubt that it is) and Son has forgiven him then I think we should move on and draw a line under it.

Sensible and exactly how it should be. I’m not for one moment defending what Bentancur said but if Son is ok then that is what is most important. Its a bit pompous and self-important to act more offended than Son is.

It’s not just Son. He may have said it in a way that he could claim he was only say Son looks like the rest of his family…but that’s a pathetic excuse and not the reason it’s considered racism. It’s considered racism because he was saying “all asians look the same.” And by that, Son is not the only ‘victim’ in this. There are 50 or so South Koreans coming to Japan next week for the match and the word is they are not happy, and think the apology was pathetic.

I said in another thread, it’s lucky for the club that Bentancur will miss the Asian tour…but I still wouldn’t be surprised if something is made of it in Korea.

Have to say, I think there are some exceptional young players vying for time right now. Gray and Bergvall are for real, Donely is for real too, Moore too...I think Hall and Robson are one good loan away from battering the door down...lots of competition in midfield...

Agree mon frere and I think thats a warning for him to knuckle down. If he is not looking over his shoulder, he is not paying attention

1 person should not be able to decide what is offensive. Even a judge. It should be society.

I said i wasn't talking about bentancur. I'm talking in general. (Specifically about how much power an employer should have).

I agree but some societies have different ideas what is acceptable, it will take an unforeseeable time before this in resolved.

A bit scary for a while there last night. I didn't see the actual incident but as soon as it happened one of the Leicester players spun around with his head in his hands, as if what he had seen was really terrible.
And the dispicable Leicester fans - as we were singing for Bentancur, they were jeering. As I was skimming the match thread on the way home someone had asked what all the chanting of w*ankers was about when one of our players was seriously injured. Well that was it, in response to their reaction.

A bit scary for a while there last night. I didn't see the actual incident but as soon as it happened one of the Leicester players spun around with his head in his hands, as if what he had seen was really terrible.
And the dispicable Leicester fans - as we were singing for Bentancur, they were jeering. As I was skimming the match thread on the way home someone had asked what all the chanting of w*ankers was about when one of our players was seriously injured. Well that was it, in response to their reaction.
Let's be fair, every stadium has a portion of idiotic fans. When Bentancur was stretchered off, the whole stadium was clapping him - it was nothing more than the usual proportion of numpties you find anywhere who were abusing him......

Back