• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pre Season 2024

Was like that at Leicester as well. Bissouma and Maddison have a habit of being off it at times.

Said at the time we bought Maddison i had always thought he was a hit and miss player, very good when he was at it but he was inconsistent. During his early days here he started to show that maybe he had relized that he needed to perform in all games but sadly since he got injured he has been that hit and miss player again. Not sure how Ange can change that unless Maddison stops believing in his own hype.

Really hope that I’m wrong, but I’ve got a bad feeling that we’ll be looking for a new manager by November/December. Not many signs today that we’ve solved the issues that caused us problems for the bulk of last season.
That would surprise me immensely, but everything depends on what we are aiming for. It was obvious that Pochettino dug his own grave by performing much better than we could hope for when he arrived, and raised the bar up to the point that it was nearly impossible to meet the expectation he himself had set. He also had/built as perfect a spine as a club with our budgets can hope for. A solid CB pairing that had played together since the war. A great playmaker that also could chip in with the odd goal or two - and was a great set piece taker as well (not counting corners). A world class striker that was also a great footballer. Everything else was a bonus and nearly interchangeable. Good, speedy flanks who worked for the team and not individual glory. That team made it all the way to the CL finals and pushed for the title. When the spine and the playmaker fell apart at the same time, there was no amount of individual skill that could make up for that and keep us relevant. I'd even say that Mourinho and Conte did better than could be demanded of them, it was the way it was done that put people off. You could almost say they would sell our soul for a top4 spot. No soul plus no top4 equals no job.

Ange has none of what Poch had. We have no set striker. We have no set back 4. We arguably have one of the best CB's, but he isn't part of a defensive system. We have no playmaker to distribute and feed. We have no reliable flank players, other than in short spells. We have no Lloris, who at a point was top 3-4 in the world. We still have a few players with skill, but that isn't enough in modern football. Even mid-table clubs are drilled better than that. Ange got off to an unbelievable start, a combination of several factors where luck played a not insignificant role. He has like Poch set the bar to a height he cannot be expected to reach, in which case we would be title contenders. Still, I'd like to see progression, if not results. I'd like to see the best players available fielded. I can't see a plan implemented, or at least one that works. I say give Ange time, but to be honest I'm saying that because I don't want to change manager AGAIN, not because I'm thoroughly convinced he's the right manager. Then again, who is? I'd say we are pretty much back to the Redknapp days.

Some of the vulnerabilities from last season will still be there this season and won't be fixed because they're part of the system. Brave buildup, sometimes you lose the ball. High line and push a lot of players forward, vulnerable to the counter.

Unsurprisingly with us missing 3 out of 4 of our first choice defenders and playing a mix and match of players in preseason rotation some of those issues look even more glaring.

Set pieces are a bit of a concern though.

We've gotten good preseason games. Good intensity, good opposition now against Bayern. That's good and much better than winning a low intensity game.

Should also have said that Bentacur was a plus as well, hope he has gotten over the injurys which have effected him for so long. Top player when fit.

Thought Bentancur looked quite good.

To me a lot of other positives too. Udogie, VdV back. Another good showing from our younger players. Kulusevski did well I thought.

But some questions going into the start of the season and the starting lineup.

His refusal to employ a set piece coach when so many other clubs do and the club not actually forcing it on him is a big concern for me.
clubs right not to force him to employ one, it's his coaching set up, club shouldnt get involved.

There would be outcry if Levy / whoever told him he had to.

It's going to be the end of him pretty sharpish if it carries on

Last edited:
It's worse than that. We had a set piece coach and decided to get rid of him.
I'd always assumed the purpose of a set piece coach was coaching in the taking of set pieces rather than defending them. The latter being the job of our defensive coach(es), if we have such a speciality?

We don't necessarily need a dedicated set piece coach, as long as the knowledge and coaching ability for that is covered among the coaches at the club.

Definitely a lot of room for improvement there from last season. Hoping that there will be improvements when the season starts or soon after.

I'd always assumed the purpose of a set piece coach was coaching in the taking of set pieces rather than defending them. The latter being the job of our defensive coach(es), if we have such a speciality?

One of the drawbacks of stat based football is that it'll likely say that the way we defend set pieces is optimal.

Out of 'x' amount of corners faced we're only likely to concede 'y' from certain areas, so therefore statistically we're defending the right way and the goals we're conceding are a anomaly.

Issue is that it has other knock on effects. A system that's built on risk and trust will deteriote because now players are thinking about 'if we give the ball away here and concede a corner we'll concede a goal' and so on.

That's why saying that zonal is better than man marking is a flawed argument. The best system is the one that in real time suits the players better. Having 2/3 opposition players at the far post completely free from every set piece because stats say it's unlikely they'll score from that position isn't working for us and hasn't been for a while.

A good coach or set piece coach will identify the problem, and come up with a evidence based solution rather than what theoretically should work. By the time the numbers align with the predictions Ange will be under pressure.

I think the fact we conceded from a set piece twice is concerning, since it's one of the two main weak points we had last season defensively.

We looked a bit better against the counter. Gave away free kicks higher up the pitch to negate getting caught out

I just think it's worth noting who the defence was when we conceded those goals. Dragusin and Davies at CB, Porro and Spence WBs. Essentially, the left side was second-choice/trial. I think we're seeing Vic learning when to go long versus not (he seems to be drawing the press in in in and then sometimes popping it over the top, which is a good tactic to mix it up, but he had another couple of really sloppy passes today.

Based on what I saw today, if it was me picking the team (GHod help us!) these would be my starters on Monday.

Vic

Porro
Romero
VdV
Udogie

Gray
Bentancur
Maddison

Son
Solanke
Johnson

Subs: Austin, Deki, Bergvall, Davies, Richy, Radu, Bissouma, Sarr, Werner

Very tough with the bench TBH, because I think Donely, Lankshear and Devine have all been really good, with Donely squad-ready for sure. I love WIll but accept that he deserves a great loan and to come back as our second striker in the summer. I have to also say I think Mikey Moore should be on the bench ahead of Werner, but I don't see Werner not being chosen. I am also not convinced Johnson or Madders deserve to start, but I do accept that they will start as they are seniors who will quickly establish their rhythm. But don't look at that bench too much because the players missing out are significant!

I just think it's worth noting who the defence was when we conceded those goals. Dragusin and Davies at CB, Porro and Spence WBs. Essentially, the left side was second-choice/trial. I think we're seeing Vic learning when to go long versus not (he seems to be drawing the press in in in and then sometimes popping it over the top, which is a good tactic to mix it up, but he had another couple of really sloppy passes today.

Based on what I saw today, if it was me picking the team (GHod help us!) these would be my starters on Monday.

Vic

Porro
Romero
VdV
Udogie

Gray
Bentancur
Maddison

Son
Solanke
Johnson

Very tough with the bench TBH, because I think Donely, Lankshear and Devine have all been really good, with Donely squad-ready for sure. I love WIll but accept that he deserves a great loan and to come back as our second striker in the summer. I have to also say I think Mikey Moore should be on the bench ahead of Werner, but I don't see Werner not being chosen. I am also not convinced Johnson or Madders deserve to start, but I do accept that they will start as they are seniors who will quickly establish their rhythm. But don't look at that bench too much because the players missing out are significant!
Also no Richarlison/Solanke who do add a bit of height and physical presence. Though to be fair Dragusin is probably our strongest player in the air and probably won't start most games.

It is a concern, mostly based on last season. But let's see what actually happens in competitive games with closer to a full strength team.

Don't think Gray or Bergvall will start early on. Between Bentacur and Sarr to join Bissouma and Maddison.

Also no Richarlison/Solanke who do add a bit of height and physical presence. Though to be fair Dragusin is probably our strongest player in the air and probably won't start most games.

It is a concern, mostly based on last season. But let's see what actually happens in competitive games with closer to a full strength team.

Don't think Gray or Bergvall will start early on. Between Bentacur and Sarr to join Bissouma and Maddison.

Truth be told you're probably right, but on my own personal obervations I think Gray has earned a start ahead of Pape. Biss is an odd one because for 20 mins again he looked like a worldie, until we started conceding...will be interesting to see...

Its a really healthy situation having such strong competition between our 6 CM (7 if you add in Kulu). Almost none of us would pick the same starting trio for the first game, which gives us form and tactical flexibility through the season.

We had a strong 4 last season, but all were effected by injuries and/or ACN

Its a really healthy situation having such strong competition between our 6 CM (7 if you add in Kulu). Almost none of us would pick the same starting trio for the first game, which gives us form and tactical flexibility through the season.

We had a strong 4 last season, but all were effected by injuries and/or ACN
Agreed
I think the panic or concern over the pre seasons results doesnt factor in match playing intensity which all the players know
We have options now that have been lacking

That would surprise me immensely, but everything depends on what we are aiming for. It was obvious that Pochettino dug his own grave by performing much better than we could hope for when he arrived, and raised the bar up to the point that it was nearly impossible to meet the expectation he himself had set. He also had/built as perfect a spine as a club with our budgets can hope for. A solid CB pairing that had played together since the war. A great playmaker that also could chip in with the odd goal or two - and was a great set piece taker as well (not counting corners). A world class striker that was also a great footballer. Everything else was a bonus and nearly interchangeable. Good, speedy flanks who worked for the team and not individual glory. That team made it all the way to the CL finals and pushed for the title. When the spine and the playmaker fell apart at the same time, there was no amount of individual skill that could make up for that and keep us relevant. I'd even say that Mourinho and Conte did better than could be demanded of them, it was the way it was done that put people off. You could almost say they would sell our soul for a top4 spot. No soul plus no top4 equals no job.

Ange has none of what Poch had. We have no set striker. We have no set back 4. We arguably have one of the best CB's, but he isn't part of a defensive system. We have no playmaker to distribute and feed. We have no reliable flank players, other than in short spells. We have no Lloris, who at a point was top 3-4 in the world. We still have a few players with skill, but that isn't enough in modern football. Even mid-table clubs are drilled better than that. Ange got off to an unbelievable start, a combination of several factors where luck played a not insignificant role. He has like Poch set the bar to a height he cannot be expected to reach, in which case we would be title contenders. Still, I'd like to see progression, if not results. I'd like to see the best players available fielded. I can't see a plan implemented, or at least one that works. I say give Ange time, but to be honest I'm saying that because I don't want to change manager AGAIN, not because I'm thoroughly convinced he's the right manager. Then again, who is? I'd say we are pretty much back to the Redknapp days.

Don’t necessarily disagree with what you’re saying. I agree we’re not blessed with world class talent but you don’t always have to be, Arsenal are a very good team but only really have 2 world class players? Saliba and Odegaard. The defence is a massive cause for concern as is our inability to deal with set pieces but if we get off to a good start like we did last season, build some momentum and hopefully don’t suffer as many injuries as last season then there’s no reason why we can’t challenge for stuff. We’re at a similar level with Villa who finished 4th last season and I’m not overly worried about United, Saudi Sportswashing Machine or Chelsea. I’d like to see how the first few months of the season play out first.

Vic

Porro
Romero
VdV
Udogie

Gray
Bentancur
Maddison

Son
Solanke
Johnson

Kulu, one of the best in preseason, dropped?

Can you? You can. It is up to you.

Kulu looked fit and hungry. One of the most impressive - and consistent - in preseason I thought. Across a number of games he looks on form.

Again they’re meaningless games that don’t count towards anything. Didn’t we beat Roma 5-0 under Ramos and then start the season bottom of the table?

Back