• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pre Season 2024

Far better half than the first.

Few senior players looked off it pre season. Maddison is a concern. I would hope to see Kulu in there on Monday rather than him.

Good to see our first choice CB pairing back hope they are not undercooked for start of the season.

Pre season over and got to say I have a few concerns and they are similar to last season. Set pieces and transition from attack to defence.

A good majority of the league will sit deep and narrow , allow us to commit bodies then counter. It’s clearly where we are vulnerable.

Roll on Monday. Got a feeling it’s going to be an up and down season. Going to see some good football but also some horror shows.

Edit - Just to say I’d like to see Bentancur in over Bissouma. A better passer by a long way. Retains the ball better.

Last edited:
Impressed by Gray and Bergvall and Moore and of course Double Deki with a real leader's performance.
Strange to give Son 80 mins, I guess Ange wanted Son to do something positive and feel confident.

Some suicidal passing around at the back, particularly thick Vic with his second hospital ball onto the penalty spot.

Quite a lot of good play, so loads to be positive about, but we really need to wise up and we really need to defend the back post from crosses.

An excellent exercise, hope we get another behind closed doors game on Weds.

Another up and down performance, the one posistive for me was to see Cuti back playing.

It was pretty clear how much better the whole team are with that first choice defence in place. The biggest surprises for me this close-season have been the struggle of Sarr and Johnson to get going, albeit their work might well have been affected by the shuffles around them. I am on the fence about Maddison's pre-season; I think he will benefit greatly from the first choice defence behind him. Very very hard not to start the season with Gray in the midfield, and Bergvall is going to be some sub off the bench; eventually he will absolutely be a starter for us.

Really hope that I’m wrong, but I’ve got a bad feeling that we’ll be looking for a new manager by November/December. Not many signs today that we’ve solved the issues that caused us problems for the bulk of last season.

Really hope that I’m wrong, but I’ve got a bad feeling that we’ll be looking for a new manager by November/December. Not many signs today that we’ve solved the issues that caused us problems for the bulk of last season.
Lets hope you are wrong but i understand why you are saying that. I have said elsewhere pre season friendlys been very little more then fitness levels and trying out new players, systems etc but our first half showing was poor to say the least. Second half we performed better once we got Cuti and VDV back together and it was good to see the youngsters taking the game to Bayern.

Said elsewhere i really do not read too much into pre-season games and this one is no real difference [imo] of course we need to improve but i am not too concerned YET.

One things to factor in: it’s far easier to press us when players are only on the pitch for 45 mins or similar.

And we’re going to play a more risky game to test our ability to play out in a preseason game. As that is where we want to be eventually. In a meaningful game we’ll be more pragmatic.

Some players looked in peak condition. Kulu, Spence both looking sharp and hungry. I kept falling asleep due to a lack of zzzz so don’t see everything. But caught how nimble and also powerful Bergvall and Gray are. Both have quick feet, and big lads for their age and Bergvall was muscling players off the ball almost at will. I don’t think it will be all that long until he’s starting games.

Bentancur, Bergvall, Gray potentially our best midfield. The midfield chemistry is still tbc. As is our best wing setup. Both areas Ange needs to work on. And let’s not mention back post defending 😭

I think the fact we conceded from a set piece twice is concerning, since it's one of the two main weak points we had last season defensively.

We looked a bit better against the counter. Gave away free kicks higher up the pitch to negate getting caught out

Lets hope you are wrong but i understand why you are saying that. I have said elsewhere pre season friendlys been very little more then fitness levels and trying out new players, systems etc but our first half showing was poor to say the least. Second half we performed better once we got Cuti and VDV back together and it was good to see the youngsters taking the game to Bayern.

Said elsewhere i really do not read too much into pre-season games and this one is no real difference [imo] of course we need to improve but i am not too concerned YET.
I also usually put little store in pre-season games but our build-up this season has worried me. I became increasingly concerned last season that Ange was struggling at PL level; those feelings remain following our games over the past fortnight. I really do hope I’m proved massively wrong though.

(Really glad to hear you’re going to keep getting to games, btw. I only made it to one last season - cost was the main reason - but hoping to get up more regularly this year, starting with the Everton game.)

I think the fact we conceded from a set piece twice is concerning, since it's one of the two main weak points we had last season defensively.

We looked a bit better against the counter. Gave away free kicks higher up the pitch to negate getting caught out
His refusal to employ a set piece coach when so many other clubs do and the club not actually forcing it on him is a big concern for me.

Back