• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pre Season 2013

United looked so flat. They seriously lack pace. We'll finish above them this year, with or without bale

I agree with them looking flat. Just look poor. Fergie got this average side winning things which is a testament to him as a man. I have said in the past that this team won't be much different now Moyes is in charge as they have that mentality drilled in to them with them being Man Utd and Fergie being there for so long but I hope pre-season is an indicatin on how theyll play in the league, they look boring and slow, not pressing much, long balls from the back etc.

Not sure there is anyone out there who can galvanise them other than Bale or maybe a Ronaldo return.

We really missed out with Marin

That is a bold statement saying we will finish above them. I suppose it speaks to how much of a loss people think Fergie will be. Be interesting to see if they get as many decisions now. But they've still got that winning mentality and players like Van Persie, Rooney, Vidic, Carrick, Hernandez. They'll be 3rd at worst.

That is a bold statement saying we will finish above them. I suppose it speaks to how much of a loss people think Fergie will be. Be interesting to see if they get as many decisions now. But they've still got that winning mentality and players like Van Persie, Rooney, Vidic, Carrick, Hernandez. They'll be 3rd at worst.

They've got some talent - look at wide or attacking midfield positions...Kagawa, Young, Nani, Valendia....Van Persie, Welbeck, Rooney, Hernandez up top.

I do think that they're weak in CM though and if Rooney leaves then they look quite dependent on RvP in front of goal

If we keep Bale and sign a decent CB then we have a chance of challenging them. The top 4 looks wide open to me this year - City have made a number of signings and new manager to bed in, Utd looking the most vulnerable which they have for 20 years, Chelsea lack goalscorers but have Mourinho back, Arse are doing nothing in the market....all very interesting

Spread the word that we will be applauding Espanyol's Dani Jarque in the 21st minute, 4 years since his passing

Spread the word that we will be applauding Espanyol's Dani Jarque in the 21st minute, 4 years since his passing

4 years, jeez where does the time go.

Man u were not quite as good as normal last year, they relied on rvp like we did on bale. I think this is one of the reasons fergie got out when he did. Still think they will finish above us but im not bothered, it is arsenal and chelsea i want to finish above.

Not related to anything in particular but our club had a under-age tourney and the Espanyol kids were there along with Celtic, West Brom and Ado Den Haag. Of all the teams Espanyol were technically the best. They were absolutely superb at keeping the ball, moving it from wing to wing and working dangerous positions. It was obvious that their style of play was ingrained from a very young age and they were a credit to their coaches. Mind you they didn't win. Celtic did because they were all giants. I'm sure there is a lesson in that but I just can't make the connections ;)

Not related to anything in particular but our club had a under-age tourney and the Espanyol kids were there along with Celtic, West Brom and Ado Den Haag. Of all the teams Espanyol were technically the best. They were absolutely superb at keeping the ball, moving it from wing to wing and working dangerous positions. It was obvious that their style of play was ingrained from a very young age and they were a credit to their coaches. Mind you they didn't win. Celtic did because they were all giants. I'm sure there is a lesson in that but I just can't make the connections ;)

The lesson is that when the Espanyol kids beef up a bit more they'll run rings around the lumbering oafs from Scotland.

The lesson is that when the Espanyol kids beef up a bit more they'll run rings around the lumbering oafs from Scotland.

Maybe, or power can overcome guile in certain circumstances no matter how good they are. We're not building a team to play tiki-taka

I'm excited for this game later today!

Do we think they'll be a starts for Soldado/Chadli/Paulinho? Soldado seems to have hit the ground running albeit against much inferior opposition. I expect to see him straight in for sure.

COYFS

Our guys have a bit more tekkers than the average Celtic player still.

Sure, but the (too subtle) comparison I was making is the differnce in the team we are building versus the barca-esque football of Arsenal where it is all pass and move and little else. Espanyol were the superior technical outfit but they were beat by the more athletic Celtic kids. And the Celtic lads were not Neanderthals by any means. They were fairly skilful too but bigger and stronger than their opponents. It certainly was a contrast of styles.

I guess I am saying there is more than one way to skin a cat. AVBs 'vertical' approach is in contrast to the predominantly possession game that Arsenal espouse. And when you look at some of the recent successes in the CL for example, the winners employ styles of play that you would not have previously have associated with Spurs. Inter, Chelsea and even Bayern have a rather direct style of play. I think AVB is building a team that goes straight for the jugular and I'm OK with that if it gets us success.

Regarding directness. Did Graham Taylor not essentially say this years ago? Semi serious comment in there. Will be extremely interesting to see Barcelona's approach this year.

Also, wouldn't be surprised at Celtics kids at all. They've been consistently amongst the worlds elite youth for years and years now. Beat Barca kids at their own game a couple of seasons ago in the mini estadi iirc. Some very good Irish and Scottish kids brought through.

As is the norm, a lot never see the light of day when talking of these tournaments. Can't remember how many Milk Cup stars I've kept an eye out for year after year, only to find them nearer to Tesco than Porto.

Very hard to feed a successful youth setup into a successful first team setup, I think we can agree. Spurs are arguably the strongest overall youth setup in England at the moment at all ages, so let's hope the mould can be broken in that regard.

In my opinion it's an attitudinal, or mentality thing. With Barca, Ajax, Bilbao etc they have an almost religious mantra that serves them well going forward. With United kids, (who seem good but don't excel way ahead of the likes of Spurs at youth level) the extreme competitive will of Ferguson must be factored into their subsequent development.

Surely, we have to play our best available team against Espanyol. With the season starting next week, we have to give our best 11 playing time so that they get used to each other. Hope Soldado and Paulinho will start this match. After scoring a hattrick in a closed-door match, it will be great if Soldado continues his goal run. Also it will be interesting to see what Paulinho brings to the team. Hope both have a good game.

Is this match being shown live anywhere ? Those who know of any working stream, do pm me the link.

Surely, we have to play our best available team against Espanyol. With the season starting next week, we have to give our best 11 playing time so that they get used to each other. Hope Soldado and Paulinho will start this match. After scoring a hattrick in a closed-door match, it will be great if Soldado continues his goal run. Also it will be interesting to see what Paulinho brings to the team. Hope both have a good game.

Is this match being shown live anywhere ? Those who know of any working stream, do pm me the link.

ITV 4 5.15 to 7.50

Agree with this. And your viewpoint on pre-season. The results and performances mean very little come the opening day of the season. Utd's pre-season last year was hardly awe inspiring and they went on to win the league. Our best pre-season, possibly ever, preceded 2pts from 8 games.

I will say that Utd seriously punched above their weight last season, thanks mainly to Van Persie. They aren't as strong as they have been and Fergie left at the right time. However, the league is very weak at the moment so a not very strong Utd team is still capable of winning the title as a result. But my money is on a sugar daddy battle between City and Chelsea for this years title.

Back