• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

Not really. American states can set their own VAT, whereas we can't. We're forbidden to do wealth redistribution by say putting 30% or 40% VAT on luxury goods
We can

Members of the EU must apply principle, ‘standard’ VAT rate of at least 15%, although all countries are now above this minimum. See all EU VAT rates here. There is no restriction on the maximum rate, and Hungary currently charges 27% VAT. Countries may also apply two reduced rates on goods, and this must be at 5% and above. The types of goods which may benefit from the reduced rates are provided within the Directive. Countries may also apply other rates in force at the date of their accession into the European Union.

Not really. American states can set their own VAT, whereas we can't. We're forbidden to do wealth redistribution by say putting 30% or 40% VAT on luxury goods

So once again you are wrong. You just spout stuff off like facts when infact it is almost always fiction. Very Trumpian of you dude.

We can

Members of the EU must apply principle, ‘standard’ VAT rate of at least 15%, although all countries are now above this minimum. See all EU VAT rates here. There is no restriction on the maximum rate, and Hungary currently charges 27% VAT. Countries may also apply two reduced rates on goods, and this must be at 5% and above. The types of goods which may benefit from the reduced rates are provided within the Directive. Countries may also apply other rates in force at the date of their accession into the European Union.

We can do without your facts, this is Brexit man! Fight them on the beaches! Churchill! Tony Benn! Jumpers for breakfast (no bread left in the shops)!

@Gutter Boy doing your best impression of the Leave Campaign by stretching the truth. One of the first things done by the coalition government was to raise interest rates from 17.5% to 20. I am certain they didn't go to the EU for permission.

We can

No - we can't selectively put higher and lower rates on things. We could put everything up to 30% or 40%, but not selectively. If say we wanted to penalise 4x4 drivers or single-use plastic items. We're also not allowed to put anything else down to 0% other than food, medicine and books. Ideally we'd 0% green energy, but the EU forbids that.

No - we can't selectively put higher and lower rates on things. We could put everything up to 30% or 40%, but not selectively. If say we wanted to penalise 4x4 drivers or single-use plastic items. We're also not allowed to put anything else down to 0% other than food, medicine and books. Ideally we'd 0% green energy, but the EU forbids that.
Not true. There is a 20% rate and a 5 % rate on some items such as home energy.
https://www.gov.uk/vat-rates

Are you sure, from what i have heard over the last few months is that some of the Remain section want another vote because they lost the last one. Very democratic i'm sure.
Thing is mate I am not in the camp of a second referendum at all. The issues are so complex, to reduce the decision down to a binary choice as we have done, has left us in this mess in the first place. Even if we had several options available to vote on, the debate is now emotion driven rather than rational, I don’t think the referendum would give us the clarity some quarters are hoping for.

Btw I was all for accepting the “will” of the people. But on the subject of democratic will, it looks to me like Vote Leave has lied and cheated its way to victory. Not only did they lie about a flood of migrants coming from Turkey and the extra money for the NHS but it would appear they broke electoral law too. To me these things don’t seem very democratic. If it had been the other way around the likes of Farage and co would have been jumping up and down about a second referendum as the first one in their eyes would have been voided.

Btw I was all for accepting the “will” of the people. But on the subject of democratic will, it looks to me like Vote Leave has lied and cheated its way to victory. Not only did they lie about a flood of migrants coming from Turkey and the extra money for the NHS but it would appear they broke electoral law too. To me these things don’t seem very democratic. If it had been the other way around the likes of Farage and co would have been jumping up and down about a second referendum as the first one in their eyes would have been voided

Yep.

Not true. There is a 20% rate and a 5 % rate on some items such as home energy.
https://www.gov.uk/vat-rates

Yes. The EU allow you to have two rates - a standard one and a reduced one. We are bad and disobey them by keeping a 3rd (zero rate), which they've been trying to force us to abandon. But my point is we are not allowed to use it flexibly as a means of progressive taxation or to stimulate certain sectors.

Back