• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

Dont see how.

If May clings on, without proper opposition to her plans chances are we will end up with BINO and the EU bending us over and showing no mercy.

Would mean "Hard brexit" is dead.

Though, if May goes, what then? Anything could happen...

Isnt this all because she has said to the stiff at Chequers that Brexit will not be happening the way it was all planned?

Isnt this all because she has said to the stiff at Chequers that Brexit will not be happening the way it was all planned?

I was thinking more - her new plan looked very BINO - and now the opposition to soft Brexit/remain are washing their hands of it.

If she stays in, with less opposition, chances are more likely she gets her way.

By "her way" I mean she makes that proposal, the EU insist on a miriad of compromise on our side (not theirs, of course) and we get screwed completely.

But - thats if she stays in. If someone else comes in all bets are off.

I just realised as well, they have effectively wasted the last two years, new leadership might actually legitimise them writting it off and starting again (or trying to)

I just realised as well, they have effectively wasted the last two years, new leadership might actually legitimise them writing it off and starting again (or trying to)

It does seem that way, regardless of the type of Brexit you prefer (hard/soft/BINO/whatever). It's taken them 2 years to get to a starting point for negotiation and for the leavers/remainers in the cabinet to get off the fence. The blood letting should have happened a lot sooner, Johnson could have been sacked ten times over to this point. Now he's gone and quit anyway because, upon actually having to produce the white paper with a bit of detail re. the negotiations, they are struggling to delay the reckoning over Brexit divisions. They could have got here 18 months ago and negotiated/imploded accordingly. But May's survival strategy has been to delay, delay and delay. Well, she's running out of road.

Davies resigns because he can't head up a department strategy that he doesn't believe in - supposedly. Personally I think he knows that he has failed in his role. The things he told everyone he would deliver, he simply hasn't. The negotiating position that he was so confident we'd have with the EU, we didn't have, and for him, falling on his sword was the logical option.

For Johnson, Brexit from the start has been about his personal ambition to become Prime Minister. That is all. His resignation is orientated to his own desperation to be the PM. @milo over 2 years ago you posted a Tweet from Johnson saying Brexit would be a waste of time for government, the most erudite thing he has published on Brexit. He tweeted it around 6 months before the vote, but I can't find it, no doubt it was deleted.

Funny how right he was. What happened to Borris? Oh yes, the lust for power. Didn't know who wrote this, apparently it was a Barron called John Dalberg-Acton: "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men..."

The first Boris tweet in this post is interesting. It shows that he knows that the focus of UK change has to come from our government not our membership of the EU. In a twisted way he now thinks that getting into power himself under this Brexit cloud, or ray of light, depending on your perspective, would allow him to change our government and affect positive change. It is his master plan as it were. It's as selfish and warped, as it probably is deluded. But I think there is a plan there, he knows what he wants to do. It would be funny/ interesting to see his manifesto.

Last edited:
From the guy who predicted fast easy negotiations with the EU, who'd have thought it? What a turn up eh.

Some good lines in the piece:

Nor has he understood, even after all this time, that Britain's lack of customs and regulatory infrastructure puts it in a weaker position than the EU when it comes to no-deal. He is a man on a bicycle playing chicken with a lorry.

The irony is that Davis has probably made a smart career move today. He finds a new role for himself. He is no longer a bumbling incompetent gradually being cut off from negotiations. He is the lightning rod for Brexiter discord on the backbenches, where they can live out their permanent fantasies about how they would have done things so much better without ever having to actually explain how they might do so.

Last edited:
Jeremy Hlam takes over at the Colonial Office.

Telling that you would call it the Colonial office. All countries have foreign offices or departments that deal with foreign matters. Would you like some sauce for that chip on your shoulder?

Yes Britain had an empire and yes a lot of very bad things happened when we had an Empire, one reason I am so against Empire building EU.

Telling that you would call it the Colonial office. All countries have foreign offices or departments that deal with foreign matters. Would you like some sauce for that chip on your shoulder?

Yes Britain had an empire and yes a lot of very bad things happened when we had an Empire, one reason I am so against Empire building EU.

The Colonial Office was one of the precursors of the current FCO. Is it chippy to call the League Cup the Rumbelows?

The Colonial Office was one of the precursors of the current FCO. Is it chippy to call the League Cup the Rumbelows?

Yes by doing so you are trying to make a point. The league cup should always be the league cup by calling it a long forgotten sponsors name you either have Alzheimers or are trying to do one upcmanship on others by pretending that because you can remember what it used to be called your superior. I see it all the time with different people in different spheres of society.

Yes by doing so you are trying to make a point. The league cup should always be the league cup by calling it a long forgotten sponsors name you either have Alzheimers or are trying to do one upcmanship on others by pretending that because you can remember what it used to be called your superior. I see it all the time with different people in different spheres of society.

Come now. You can’t seriously be suggesting that people use anonymous Internet discussion boards for oneupmanship.

One thing that has become clear from the events of the last few days, Brexiteers such as Boris and David Davis never really wanted a deal with the EU. They wanted something entirely on our terms which was never going to happen so expected a “no deal” brexit. They are tinkled that we haven’t prepared for one.

Also if you can look past how on earth gorgeous George became editor of the Evening Standard, his attacks on Boris and May, in particular, are very entertaining.

One thing that has become clear from the events of the last few days, Brexiteers such as Boris and David Davis never really wanted a deal with the EU. They wanted something entirely on our terms which was never going to happen so expected a “no deal” brexit. They are tinkled that we haven’t prepared for one.

Also if you can look past how on earth gorgeous George became editor of the Evening Standard, his attacks on Boris and May, in particular, are very entertaining.

Not sure about that. If you read what Davis said, he was pretty bolshie that we would be able to threaten the EU with not buying their cars, and Germany would acquiesce. Quite a few here believed it too. Davis was naive, incompetent and under prepared. Brexit was always a sort of fantasy. People built it up in their minds as being viable. But apply some logic and research and it was clear it was a delusion.

Boris is a different kettle of fish, he saw the genuine positives of the EU, access to a massive market, the benefits of being able to help shape a continent from the EU, and that the issues the UK has should be solved at home, they are not the EUs fault. Boris got all of that. Davis was simply deluded. Boris could see the other side of the argument, the waste of the CAP, the ever greater political union of the EU (didn't Cameron get them to take this line out?) but first and foremost he was interested in building a support base among Tory Euro-sceptics. It was a route to realising his dream of becoming Prime Minister.

Last edited:
Back