• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

Thanks for the compliment. I also have a (good for a layman) understanding of economics which, coupled with my aforementioned cognitive agility, means they are the only logical conclusions I can possibly come to.

I see you are still holding your own hand.:D

On the subject of which party people vote for depending on which newspaper they read I saw this on the Guardian from YouGov polls, interestingly the numbers had barely changed from 2010.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/gr...ader-election-ukip-express-sun-mail-telegraph
That's a fairly shoddy article.

I subscribe to the Spectator but I probably read more Grauniad articles than any other paper. Pretty much every women I know (regardless of political persuasion) reads the Daily Mail regularly. The Times has a right-leaning readership because of its focus on business but it would be a stretch to call it a right wing paper. You can't deduce a paper's political stance by measuring how it's readers vote - I know a number of pinkos who very reluctantly voted Tory at the last election because it was the only choice - they're Guardian readers, does that make the Guardian right-leaning?

He also fails to note that two of the three Tory supporting papers he refers to were, not that long ago, supporting Tony Blair.

Sorry to change the subject slightly here but....

With Syria virtually empty and large areas populated by ISIS only why are we not bombing them to fudge knowing that no innocent lives would be lost? Surprisingly, this hasn't been mentioned anywhere I can see??

He also fails to note that two of the three Tory supporting papers he refers to were, not that long ago, supporting Tony Blair.

Murdoch likes to back a winner and whoever he thinks will best protect his business interests. Compare the editorial lines taken by the Sun and the Scottish Sun for proof.

With Syria virtually empty and large areas populated by ISIS only why are we not bombing them to fudge knowing that no innocent lives would be lost? Surprisingly, this hasn't been mentioned anywhere I can see??

Syria is a long way from being empty

Although Syria is partly our fault(the west) I do believe it is down to the arabs to confront this problem and a coalition of Arabic countries getting rid of ISIS would be the best solution. I do not understand why they don't as it is in their own best interests.

ISIS have a small area of Syria. The real issue is the ruler who is chemical gassing and barrel bombing the eff out of his own people. Assad has caused the crisis in the area and has killed near 200000 people with the help of the west new best friend Iran.

But bombing Assad will annoy Russia who are allegedly arming him and leaves a hole to fit as none of the rebels fit the picture for who the west want ruling over there. Generally we support despots who sell us oil.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol.../My-Lefty-hell-on-Radio-4s-Any-Questions.html

Yes it is in the Telegraph, but I thought this paragraph was particularly pertinent:

After the recording, the show’s excellent host, Jonathan Dimbleby, sighed heavily and told me it (the imbalance between left and right audience members) was a constant problem.

He and the whole AQ team found it immensely frustrating that Tories simply did not show up on the night to add their voices. The producer said it would cost £5,000 a week to pay someone to assemble a politically balanced audience.

So basically an admission that a balanced audience is not provided for BBC Any Questions on the radio at least... which was not what they were saying in the run up to the GE.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol.../My-Lefty-hell-on-Radio-4s-Any-Questions.html

Yes it is in the Telegraph, but I thought this paragraph was particularly pertinent:

After the recording, the show’s excellent host, Jonathan Dimbleby, sighed heavily and told me it (the imbalance between left and right audience members) was a constant problem.

He and the whole AQ team found it immensely frustrating that Tories simply did not show up on the night to add their voices. The producer said it would cost £5,000 a week to pay someone to assemble a politically balanced audience.

So basically an admission that a balanced audience is not provided for BBC Any Questions on the radio at least... which was not what they were saying in the run up to the GE.

The issue is hard to address because most educated well spoken types have leftist ideals even though the policies they prefer are centre right.

They probably put more time and effort into getting a balance due to the legal requirement ( and their remit) to be balanced during purdah.
Outside of purdah it makes sense to leave audience make up to volunteers rather than manufacturing an audience and therefore a view.

There is a legal requirement for fair and balanced coverage for all TV broadcasting (I think that's as far as it extends).
The BBC does have a requirement at other times due to its funding, but being a public service broadcaster I think letting the public decide who shows up in an audience is fair and reasonable.

They probably put more time and effort into getting a balance due to the legal requirement ( and their remit) to be balanced during purdah.
Outside of purdah it makes sense to leave audience make up to volunteers rather than manufacturing an audience and therefore a view.

But of course the BBC leaders debate during the election was infiltrated by a number of conservative activists who failed to declare their party membership on their applications and got to ask questions.

That's hardly surprising.

As I kept saying in the run up to the election - this country hasn't voted for anyone they perceive to be left of centre (although Blair snuck a lot of lefty brick through but dressed it up as centrist) for over 40 years. I just don't see that changing any time soon either.

Politics in the UK nowadays is like a game of squash - whoever dominates the centre ground will win.

That's hardly surprising.

As I kept saying in the run up to the election - this country hasn't voted for anyone they perceive to be left of centre (although Blair snuck a lot of lefty **** through but dressed it up as centrist) for over 40 years. I just don't see that changing any time soon either.

Politics in the UK nowadays is like a game of squash - whoever dominates the centre ground will win.

There is nothing centrist about the Tories.

Back