• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

Presumably we get more than that for 40m?

I'm sure it's more than a new battery and some WD40 (although it need a big can) - but the cost is £40m to keep the bongs going.

We could just use a recording of course.
Or see if Kiefer Sutherland will lend us the 24 clock

Chinese state visit:

Is it not very strange that the UK Government are allowing the 'rogue' Chinese State entry into such sensitive security-consious areas such as Nuclear Power?
Surely, the Foreign Office would have said "don't do it" to Cameron and Osborne? The UK becoming so intertwined with China in this way seems very VERY odd....

Why? I've loads of similar things said but haven't seen any reasoning behind it.
They are part financing a power station, what's the security risk?

Why? I've loads of similar things said but haven't seen any reasoning behind it.
They are part financing a power station, what's the security risk?

How about China's history of state espionage, not to mention the hacking/cyberwarfare they've been waging against some in the West? Not to mention the fact that operating/being a key cog in the nation's Nuclear Power infrastructure might be a bit too close to being able to tap into the Nuclear Weaponry of the nation....and to think some worry that Corbyn wouldn't renew Trident?
Actually, maybe this is why Corbyn is suggesting such things and the Chinese are also signing up to operating and running the equivalent in future...

there is absolutely no technology link between NuEn and Trident

if they are just putting money in I don't see a problem

So are they providing hardware or software for the plant? If so I can see how people could be worried about a deliberate act on Sthat station and a potential meltdown, people in tinfoil hats at least. But a link to out nuclear weapons, don't see how that is believable.

Well for years there was a lot of worry about Iran developing Nuclear weapons and for years they insisted that the technology was purely for 'Energy purposes'. Sanctions were even imposed.
So if there cannot be any link between Nuclear Energy Power Generation and Nuclear Weapons manufacturing then i guess it's all good - and Iran was unfairly sanctioned for years....

Well for years there was a lot of worry about Iran developing Nuclear weapons and for years they insisted that the technology was purely for 'Energy purposes'. Sanctions were even imposed.
So if there cannot be any link between Nuclear Energy Power Generation and Nuclear Weapons manufacturing then i guess it's all good - and Iran was unfairly sanctioned for years....

or perhaps Iran were just lying?

also I meant the programs are not linked, our energy reactors are not used to enrich plutonium for warheads, we don't produce our own, Trident is pretty much an off the shelf product we buy off the US, working for EDF doesn't give you access to info from Faslane

or perhaps Iran were just lying?

also I meant the programs are not linked, our energy reactors are not used to enrich plutonium for warheads, we don't produce our own, Trident is pretty much an off the shelf product we buy off the US, working for EDF doesn't give you access to info from Faslane

Or Iran were telling the truth? Or the US/UK/The West were just lying?

Regardless, my point is that we cannot on one hand say Nuclear Power generation in Iran could lead to Nuclear Warhead creation there, whilst saying that our own Nuclear Energy reactors cannot at any time in some possible future be used by sly and skillful Chinese state workers to develop some horrid Nuclear weapon here, perhaps against the UK itself.

This random scenario that I am making up is purely using the UK's own previous rhetoric when discussing 'rogue states' like China, Russia etc. In fact, would it be treated as 'business as usual' if Russia instead of China were asked to develop our Nuclear facilities?

All seems very odd - when as i say one uses the very same reasoning/rhetoric that has been used when discussing the 'perils of the rogue state that is China'...

well none of the current reactors will be as they are all the wrong type

what does that have to do with Trident?

I just brought up Trident in a flippant way; i (jokingly, well half-jokingly) wondered out loud whether the UK were getting more than just Nuclear Energy plant building expertise from China but perhaps also some Trident-style products as part of a deal 'bundle'...

I just brought up Trident in a flippant way; i (jokingly, well half-jokingly) wondered out loud whether the UK were getting more than just Nuclear Energy plant building expertise from China but perhaps also some Trident-style products as part of a deal 'bundle'...

The government have been consistently pro ND, I think if they had done something they would shout about it, bearing in mind we still have our subs in planned service for another decade, and one therefore assumes a contract with the US for the actual warheads, it seems unlikely to me that we would partner with China on that.

Maybe it'll open channels of opportunity for the future.

also, I forgot to add, its a bit late to be worrying about foreign influence on nuclear power production, all 8 of our producing plants are managed by the French, the one that isn't is in the process of being decommissioned

also, I forgot to add, its a bit late to be worrying about foreign influence on nuclear power production, all 8 of our producing plants are managed by the French, the one that isn't is in the process of being decommissioned

The point isn't Foreign influence; it's Chinese involvement (them being constantly portrayed as a 'rogue', 'one-party' state etc, France are always looked on as being a closer ally in this regard..)

I guess their money is just as good as anybody else's

Indeed it would seem so....in contradiction to all the political views the UK has put out about China for decades.

Tbf, Colonel Ghadaffi was being wined and dined big time by the UK Government before and after he was labelled a 'Tyrant' and 'sponsor of terrorists' so i guess the cosying up to China now should be put in that context (i.e. don't listen to wailing in the media about Foreign regimes until you look at what's really going on from an Economic point of view..)

Back