• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

BBC News just had a slightly cringy backfiring snippet. Interviewing Sudan evacuation members, leading questions about government's response and each one said they were happy and thankful. I haven't read up on it personally and it may have been slow but the report just now was hilarious...

Personally the nuclear brexit was my favourite option. But I agree that I don't think they expected to win, think they wanted an admirable loss where like the Scottish nationalists they could have asked for more and more power but be seen as the plucky underdogs.

The Norway style relationship was probably the only brexit they had a mandate for considering so much of the leave campaign was centred on immigration control.

I honestly don't think brexit has gone far enough, the reason India is such a great placed is because we once governed it. We never invaded Europe and it is why it is such a mess.

Was recently in Brittany and it was nice but I could not help feel it would be so much better if we invaded France. I hate the French.

Farrage was lauding Norway as the right option pre-vote. Post-vote it dawned on him and the rest that it's just a worse form of membership; though it is still better than what we have now economically speaking. Once the realisation hit that Norway was just like being in the EU with less control, we were funnelled into hard Brexit - unthinkable by both sides previously! So yes you are right, a Norway-like model is all they had a mandate for as that was all that was seriously suggested pre-vote.

no one knows what the true cost will be. There have been some companies leaving the UK, some finance jobs have relocated, and maybe the most concerning thing is a big drop in investment into the UK. And if you're a Japanese or US business, of course, you'd invest in having your European office within the 500m population single market, not outside it. In short, we are poorer. But is that a bad thing?

I think the greatest issue is our society has been built around capital and making money, and we don't have many alternative ways to be successful. Since Thatcher got people to buy up their homes, and successive governments have made buy-to-let the middle-class aspiration, we've become a society that is shaped around wealth creation. It made London hugely attractive, drawing people from around the world. But we don't have too many meaningful alternatives to a drive for wealth. Take away some of the focus on money with Brexit and there is a vacuum to fill but Johnson didn’t have a meaningful plan. We need to invest in non material success. Societal investment that is not just about more wealth creation.

London probably became too successful, you can certainly make this argument. Even now rents are crazy for the young and there probably needed to be a reset. Brexit will likely slow the ferocious capitalisation of the city which should be conceived as 9m people’s home, rather than an economic entity. We need to emphasise ways of living and explore non-financial successes; maybe Brexit will precipitate this.

Last edited:
watching Marina Purkiss absolutely destroy Rees-Mogg the other day made me wonder... why do people actually listen to Rees-Mogg? Like, believe the absolute brick that comes out of his mouth?

country's fudged. deserve it voting for these tossers.

Massive mystery. There was a spell where the world laughed. Borris and Reese-Mogg caricature looney English toffs.

Last edited:
watching Marina Purkiss absolutely destroy Rees-Mogg the other day made me wonder... why do people actually listen to Rees-Mogg? Like, believe the absolute brick that comes out of his mouth?

country's fudged. deserve it voting for these tossers.

I enjoyed watching that clip the other day but I did notice there was a reply from someone on Twitter that had fact checked what they had both said and that out of the 5 key things they had both mentioned only possibly one of her statements was factually correct! (They gave her 0.5 out of 5), whereas he had 4 correct (I think). It's always a bit difficult to know without researching yourself but I did enjoy it, I liked the fact she knew she wouldn't be on that show again so didn't give a f**k. Too many guests nowadays hold back just so they get invited on to other shows and never challenge anyone.

Last edited:
Now Richard Sharp is out of the BBC, Robbie Gibb is the key remaining 'enemy within', tasked by the Tories with destroying the organisation.

...and the EU laws that we were to repeal as part of Brexit...beep beep beep as the government reverses this one too. So much for Sovrignity. Thousands of EU laws remain "governing us".

I enjoyed watching that clip the other day but I did notice there was a reply from someone on Twitter that had fact checked what they had both said and that out of the 5 key things they had both mentioned only possibly one of her statements was factually correct! (They gave her 0.5 out of 5), whereas he had 4 correct (I think). It's always a bit difficult to know without researching yourself but I did enjoy it, I liked the fact she knew she wouldn't be on that show again so didn't give a f**k. Too many guests nowadays hold back just so they get invited on to other shows and never challenge anyone.
They asked her back. She declined.

Yeah I meant more going in to an interview without the aim of upsetting the apple cart so to speak, like many others do, solely so that they will be offered more invites for interviews in the future.
Indeed, I was just surprised they asked her back after she embarrassed Mogg on his own show.

So partly created by the UK then.
Sounds pretty sovereign.

Still part of UK law years after leaving the EU.
Also sounds pretty sovereign.

I agree. I'm sure Brexiteers feel the difference, however. The "sovereignity" thing ended up driving brexit. Yet we have oodles of EU laws, and we'll likely have to adopt new EU laws that make sense for trade and environmental concerns. We just won't be able to 'partly create them' in the future. And as you've illustrated, the whole notion of us being under the yoke because of these laws is a load of codswallop. Still, we got it done init.

Last edited:
Reactions: DTA
I see the voter suppression efforts didn't have the desired effect in the local elections. Elections are 'woke' now, I suppose.

I see the voter suppression efforts didn't have the desired effect in the local elections. Elections are 'woke' now, I suppose.
That was bad for the Conservatives (as expected mid election cycle) but I'd be pretty worried if I were Starmer.

Hardly storming growth for them and I'd be wanting a far higher predicted majority this far out to have any certainty of being elected.

Turns out Sunak’s actually more successful at stopping the votes than stopping the boats.

Down more than 1,000 seats now. That was the number sold as a disaster by the Conservatives themselves, the thinking being that it wouldn’t get near that and they could try to spin it as not as bad as expected.

All from the very low base of the last set of council election results which saw the beginning of the end for May.

Expect the manoeuvring to oust him to begin next week.

Last edited:
That was bad for the Conservatives (as expected mid election cycle) but I'd be pretty worried if I were Starmer.

Hardly storming growth for them and I'd be wanting a far higher predicted majority this far out to have any certainty of being elected.

Surely the bigger point is that Lib Dem’s and Greens have gained so many too, it’s coordinated tactical voting against the Tories.

“Others” have had a bit of a shoeing as well. Hopefully the sign of a rejection of right wing politics.

Back