• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

He has compared them to nazis, as have several others, even naming certain politicians and saying they are nazis.
The situation has escalated because the party in question, labelled nazis, have stepped in and pressured his employer into taking action, ergo he is working for a corporation controlled by nazis.
Dumb.

Unfortunately you are taking everything I'm saying way too seriously.

I'm taking what you're saying as what it is, uninformed and misguided.

Tories have gained 3 points in the polls. Asylum seekers is a popular topic for the public and the Tories are exploiting it.

Far too many confounding factors here. Windsor framework, Rishi looking all statesmanlike with Macron, small boats . . .

And no-one (not even YouGov) is going to be able to release any post-Linekergate polling until the back end of next week.

Do I detect jealousy from a man whose old Job had rather stringent rules about public pronouncements? ;)

I won't get too involved in this convo, have purposely avoided this section within reason despite spamming other secions haha, mainly because its been a hotbed that led to me being called a right winger etc, but on this, as much as it pains as I am no fan, I do see Linekers side on this.

The laungauge used by the government does feed into that idea that there are one type and there are another type and that other type have lesser claim that others, its not too far detached from the language used by pre WW2 Germany and if either of us like it, it certainly feeds into the new NF types who then use it as a victory march (only have to spend 10 mins on twitter and listen to the cnuts like Tommy Robinson to know that)

I do get the matter of fact stance on his job and his contract, but alot of it is also subjective, would saying "I stand with Ukraine" be seen as political? Would be pretty petty to think so but could be deemed to be if you wanted to get rid of someone. His comments on migration I found more human than political, the Tories are obviously guilty be association but then thats just as much guilt complex at play than anything, The "Good heavens this is beyond awful" shows more compassion than it does anything else. Its also impossible to prove political bias as its an act under one government not another, you would have to wait for the others to get in to prove bias.

I get the rules of the company argument anyway, I just agree that its a pretty grim society that any company "state run" or otherwise could stop you having a humane POV. You are right about him walking if he don't like it and likely he will and I am sure he will

Did he actually use the word Nazi? Genuine question because I have seen him refer to Germany but not the word "Nazi", maybe missed a tweet somewhere but if its not, its interesting that every headline now contains "Nazi comparison" off their own back and not because he said it...again not seen the tweet so it could exist

Anyway thats my 10pence worth

i don't think lineker actually used the word nazi, but plenty have jumped on his tweet and used the nazi word and its all just carried on from there.
I totally get his point, its why he's surprised about the reaction I'm shocked at.
Did he think the government were going to let that go? Did he think that the bbc weren't going to have to react?

Jenas refused too. Whoever agrees now will be a Vichy level collaborator

Bloody hell you guys are working yourselves up aren't you.

Are the democratically elected government just implementing one of their election manifesto?

Don't mind Lineker saying what he said, I might if I were Jewish, disabled or a woofter. I have the mute on when I watch football. Cycling now there's a sport with good commentators.

Disabled Jew here fully supportive of Lineker.

Yeah of course, how happy are you to wheel that out. I'm sure the are plenty that are offended by linking the holocaust to a government trying to stop dangerous channel crossings. A government that have said repeatedly they will accept asylum seekers every year going forward and are at great cost housing those already here in hotels and other accommodation, in a country with a housing shortage.

I'm offended that a government and not one that I voted for can be compared to nazi Germany when they do so much already for asylum seekers and are still pledging to help them. Don't get how they are the bad guys.

This is escalating seriously - Dale Winton has just said Supermarket Sweep re-runs feel immoral today in an age of food banks

Last edited:
For media yes, for journalism i can't see it.
They are to afraid to stick their neck out, as this proves, tell the government to stop interfering.
Most people probably agree with Lineker, so it's not as if they will have a backlash.

For worldwide journalism they’re revered. I agree domestically with your post. That doesn’t make it unfit for purpose and in need of defunding.

Yeah of course, how happy are you to wheel that out. I'm sure the are plenty that are offended by linking the holocaust to a government trying to stop dangerous channel crossings. A government that have said repeatedly they will accept asylum seekers every year going forward and are at great cost housing those already here in hotels and other accommodation, in a country with a housing shortage.

I'm offended that a government and not one that I voted for can be compared to nazi Germany when they do so much already for asylum seekers and are still pledging to help them. Don't get how they are the bad guys.

Boohoo you're offended. Now the right-wing nutjobs are offended and suddenly cancel culture is a good thing looool

Not only has a disabled jew backed Linekar but now a "woofter" has too. Like I agreed to not call you precious it'd be nice if you could not use that term thanks hun.

Let's pretend the tweet was offensive for a minute, in this parallel universe you openly stated you'd only be offended only if you were a "Jew / disabled/ woofter" - So it'd only bother you if it affected you? What a character you are*

*Actually a clam for the "how happy you are to wheel that out" line

Being called precious when you're being precious shouldn't be offensive unless you're a bitch, but terms like woofter are, you total bellend.

Because it's virtue signalling bollox that they know will never work. Because they are normalising hatred of asylum seekers. Because the Far right don't need an excuse to attack a group of people most of whom (I believe 70-75% of people arriving on the boats have been successful with their asylum claims) are genuinely fleeing awful situations back home. Because this is the Tory way to divide and rule irrespective of the consequences for the country.
I could go on.

For worldwide journalism they’re revered. I agree domestically with your post. That doesn’t make it unfit for purpose and in need of defunding.

The hilarity of this all is that an organisation who are preaching impartiality has made a decision that has made themselves look ridiculous, not sure where MOTD ranks in terms of viewership but I imagine high, so a change to that with their 19 b0llox is a bad look and hit to take, along with losing your entire roster of staff. Then the irony is that their decision has probably caused more of a political issue and divide for the Tories than the original conflict on twitter.

I get they have their rules and in some interpretations Lineker has broken them, but their actions have made the situation 10x worse for themselves and the politics their rules set out to protect. Beautiful really

The hilarity of this all is that an organisation who are preaching impartiality has made a decision that has made themselves look ridiculous, not sure where MOTD ranks in terms of viewership but I imagine high, so a change to that with their 19 b0llox is a bad look and hit to take, along with losing your entire roster of staff. Then the irony is that their decision has probably caused more of a political issue and divide for the Tories than the original conflict on twitter.

I get they have their rules and in some interpretations Lineker has broken them, but their actions have made the situation 10x worse for themselves and the politics their rules set out to protect. Beautiful really

Honestly it’s as beautiful as it is hilarious. I can guarantee you the vast majority of the non-management staff within the organisation are gleefully watching this play out and fully behind the on-screen team. The stir this has caused and the overwhelming support for Lineker et al is better than anyone could have hoped for.

Honestly it’s as beautiful as it is hilarious. I can guarantee you the vast majority of the non-management staff within the organisation are gleefully watching this play out and fully behind the on-screen team. The stir this has caused and the overwhelming support for Lineker et al is better than anyone could have hoped for.

And I am no real Lineker fan, despite the Spurs link which of course I love for his time here. But comments that most would have brushed off as "oh that Linekers at it again" have been handled in such a way that now people are going to properly Tory Bash because of the knock on and divide the BBC decision has made. Properly lip smackingly funny

Basically invited an extra 1m people to the argument because of the decision around MOTD...

I wonder if football sponsor might look at suing them, seeing as their biggest source of exposure was withdrawn?

I don't have a problem with what he says, even though generally i think he's a bit of a taco (i think about most of them tbf) i don't have any idea of his political beliefs and tbh i couldn't care less. They're his opinions and he is entitled to them.
If there hadn't been such a furore over the bbcs reaction this would most likely totally passed me by.
I have not seen the whole tweet and what i have seen i think the language is a tad strong, however i basically agree with his objections to the policy.
My problem is that he knows the bbc policy, he obviously thinks that is wrong, but still taked the tax payers money, or he thinks he is above it.
I'm sure sky, itv or bt would snap him up.

Thing is though, there is precedent and has been since 2016, when Lineker first made political comments specifically about refugees on his twitter account. There are loads of BBC contractors who have said far edgier. Lineker is certainly cheeky in general, but I think given the history of such comments over the years from many Beeb employees and contractors, he was simply voicing his opinion. When you drill into BBC policy, it actually leaves him outside the strict parameters set for their full-time employees. IF the Beeb had always held a strong line, fine. They simply haven’t, and the only reason they’ve questioned this is because of direct government criticism. For me, that is something which cannot be allowed to happen. Equally, we cannot allow the Beeb to crumble, otherwise the extremists get their way anyway, which would be disastrous.

Back