• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

@Diamond Lights it is a mystery why people vote for parties that are no good for them. People in council houses or those on benefits voting Conservative makes little sense. Why do they? I agree the media plays a huge part, especially old media. But its more than that. Ideals, image, aspiration?

In our media, you never see the narrative (and truth) that the Conservative party is founded on a premise of conserving wealth for the elite. The party was all about stopping change and retaining money and power in the hands of the few. And you don't have to scratch the surface too hard to see that not a lot has changed. As @Baleforce highlights, Thatcher was more 'compassionate'/left leaning than modern Tories, who barely hide the focus on wealth and retaining it for business, existing concerns, or elites. Brexit has bolstered the backward element of the Consrvative party, the part that wishes to retain the old, and preserve it.

However, this premise works both ways. I know you work hard and do well for you and your family. You'd probably pay more tax under Labour yet you'd never vote Tory. I am the same. I should vote Tory, I own businesses and logically they represent me. It's a bit like putting a bet on Spurs' opponent, when Labour doesn't win, the silver lining is I am probably represented. Mind you with the conservatives driving Brexit we are all poorer. The UK has not grown post covid as almost all other developed economies have.

So there you have it, a third of the country vote for Brexit that isn't in their interests, and both you, I, and the people you can't understand, tick voting boxes that are not beneficial to them! Democracy is highly contradictory.

@Diamond Lights it is a mystery why people vote for parties that are no good for them. People in council houses or those on benefits voting Conservative makes little sense. Why do they? I agree the media plays a huge part, especially old media. But its more than that. Ideals, image, aspiration?

In our media, you never see the narrative (and truth) that the Conservative party is founded on a premise of conserving wealth for the elite. The party was all about stopping change and retaining money and power in the hands of the few. And you don't have to scratch the surface too hard to see that not a lot has changed. As @Baleforce highlights, Thatcher was more 'compassionate'/left leaning than modern Tories, who barely hide the focus on wealth and retaining it for business, existing concerns, or elites. Brexit has bolstered the backward element of the Consrvative party, the part that wishes to retain the old, and preserve it.

However, this premise works both ways. I know you work hard and do well for you and your family. You'd probably pay more tax under Labour yet you'd never vote Tory. I am the same. I should vote Tory, I own businesses and logically they represent me. It's a bit like putting a bet on Spurs' opponent, when Labour doesn't win, the silver lining is I am probably represented. Mind you with the conservatives driving Brexit we are all poorer. The UK has not grown post covid as almost all other developed economies have.

So there you have it, a third of the country vote for Brexit that isn't in their interests, and both you, I, and the people you can't understand, tick voting boxes that are not beneficial to them! Democracy is highly contradictory.

I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen Thatcher described as ‘compassionate’ before. There will be millions in the North of England, Wales and Scotland who had their communities completely destroyed by her who would disagree, I’d bet.

it is also an indictment of the Labour Party also I’m afraid. People haven’t felt they have been electable for the past 13 years.

The tories selling point always used to be they were effective despite being unlikeable. But they’re not effective anymore when it comes to budget for example so hopefully that will be enough to sway voters and elect Labour again.

Indeed the Tories have been spiralling down to new lows of depravity, corruption, nastiness, greed, incompetence; and they've finally gotten so low that people might actually trust Labour more* to run the economy.

*And by more I mean a score of 2 out of 10 rather than 1 out of 10.

It's a shame we have this "pick A or B" system when both A and B are absolutely bloody awful.

I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen Thatcher described as ‘compassionate’ before. There will be millions in the North of England, Wales and Scotland who had their communities completely destroyed by her who would disagree, I’d bet.

Compassionate just refers to a largely dead part of the Conservative Party. Compassionate Conservatives like Hessletine were part of her cabinet, pro EU and not much different to new Labour. Just a comment on how the Tory’s are more right wing now post Brexit. All the more liberal‘compassionate’ MPs that were interested in wealth creation and looking after those less fortunate are not part of the Tory picture anymore. People like Rory Stewart are no longer influencing the conversation.

Reactions: DTA
Need to renew my passport. Wait time is 10 weeks.

Decide to use urgent option. No appointments in London for the entire slot of available selection (3 week period).

Decide secondary urgent option. Also no appointments in London.

This country really is just collapsing at every possible juncture.

Decide to use urgent option. No appointments in London for the entire slot of available selection (3 week period).

Someone I work with just did the standard service through the Liverpool hq and it turned up in about 3 days. So the 10 week thing might be serve under promising.

10 weeks is the standard they quote on their website.
My husband just got his renewed. It took over a week for them to register receipt of his old passport (even though from tracking they had it in a couple of days) but from that point it took one week to get the confirmation that it was approved and printed. Now just waiting for TNT to deliver it.

This website gives you an indication of how long things are currently taking. It's only as good as people volunteering the information, but it gives you an indication.
https://www.passportwaitingtime.co.uk/

Edit : And it has just arrived. So from submitting the application online to it landing on the doormat was 19 days, including weekends.

Last edited:
10 weeks is the standard they quote on their website.
My husband just got his renewed. It took over a week for them to register receipt of his old passport (even though from tracking they had it in a couple of days) but from that point it took one week to get the confirmation that it was approved and printed. Now just waiting for TNT to deliver it.

This website gives you an indication of how long things are currently taking. It's only as good as people volunteering the information, but it gives you an indication.
https://www.passportwaitingtime.co.uk/

Edit : And it has just arrived. So from submitting the application online to it landing on the doormat was 19 days, including weekends.

thanks for this GL, right, let's try it then, fingers crossed!

Boris was always pro remain.

And always pro leave.

To be fair, he’s been very positive on defence of the Ukraine, despite all of the Russian money flowing into his bank account.
Don't let your views get in the way of your money and power - just have both.

According to Johnson today, the best way for Ukraine to guarantee its sovereignty is for it to join the EU.

Satire is truly dead.
He's on a world tour trying to rehabilitate his reputation. Who's giving permission for that or paying for it? Does he not have a job as an MP to do?
That coward Sunak should find his spine and rein him in.

He's on a world tour trying to rehabilitate his reputation. Who's giving permission for that or paying for it? Does he not have a job as an MP to do?
That coward Sunak should find his spine and rein him in.

he's allegedly lining up a move to a safer seat, given up on his local constituency already

Just had mine renewed and received it last week, took 10 days from start to finish using the online application. I did make sure I posted my old passport the day after application. Very good service overall, they send regular email updates out on everything.

Back