• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Actually the issue is the opposite from what I’ve seen working as a consultant in the public sector

Better pay would get in better people who would make the system better with less bodies so in effect pay for itself

That wouldn’t work for all roles for course but I’ve seen first hand so much waste, because people are of limited skill sets earning a below par wage, but one that is relevant for their skills… but also means 3 people are employed. If they
paid relevant decent money the job could be done by 2 people for the same actual cost

I knows that’s a bit of a ramble of a post but it’s certainly what I experienced spending 30 months working in gov
Another issue is that because the public sector does not pay competitive salaries private sector organisations cherry pick the more experienced and competent staff, recruit them on higher salaries and then send them back to the same public sector organisations as consultants with 100% or more markup on their on costs.

Essentially people get frustrated and leave because they are not getting paid a fair wage/career development opportunities. This creates staff shortages which hinders productivity. Senior management react only when it gets to crisis mgt scenarios bringing the same employees back via consultancies or agencies at grossly inflated costs.

it’s an utterly ridiculous scenario that is played out repeatedly across the public sector and is driven by senior managements and politicians utter ineptitude when it comes to strategic and business planning.

This is both exacerbated and exemplified by continual reorgs (normally to enable streamlining/reduction in headcount) and an inability to plan and implement organisational change effectively.

Last edited:
Like the labour idea of getting rid of the house of Lords, need a cull of the uncivil service as well though.

I'm torn on what to do re; HoL.
I don't think the House is the issue - it's the appointment system that is unfit for purpose.
That said, a ruling house of "Lords" really isn't fit for 2022.
I'm definitely against it being a FPP elected chamber.
It might be a great opportunity to test how Prop Rep could work here.
It will need voter buy in however. We know people didn't engage with with MEP voting - even people enthusiastic about the role of the EU - so we need to avoid HoL2 becoming weak because voters aren't engaged.

Re: the civil service. What does culling that look like to you? What are the issues you see that need solving?

Police officers should only be given pay rises if the are more criminals in prison.
.also they should not be fat or have tattoos. The police officers that is.

Criminals can have tattoos, well actually they all do. Young girl served me in Costa earlier had them all over her arms and a ring through her nose as if she was cattle.
Surely police officers should be given a raise if there are LESS people in prison?! That means they are policing and therefore reducing crime, especially serious crimes that end with prison time.

Why no tattoos?

Another issue is that because the public sector does not pay competitive salaries private sector organisations cherry pick the more experienced and competent staff, recruit them on higher salaries and then send them back to the same public sector organisations as consultants with 100% or more markup on their on costs.

Essentially people get frustrated and leave because they are not getting paid a fair wage/career development opportunities. This creates staff shortages which hinders productivity. Senior management react only when it gets to crisis mgt scenarios bringing the same employees back via consultancies or agencies at grossly inflated costs.

it’s an utterly ridiculous scenario that is played out repeatedly across the public sector and is driven by senior managements and politicians utter ineptitude when it comes to strategic and business planning.

This is both exacerbated and exemplified by continual reorgs (normally to enable streamlining/reduction in headcount) and an inability to plan and implement organisational change effectively.
100% right
I’ve seen it first hand so many times
They employ people to manipulate the situation with their knowledge of the organisational failings

Another day, another shadow cabinet minister dodging the simple question: do you support the strikes? Today it was Angela Rayner’s turn, after the RMT last night voted to derail Christmas with more strikes over the next few weeks. Asked by Kay Burley if she supported the move and all the chaos it will inflict, an unusually coy Rayner trotted out Labour’s refrain:

“I think the RMT don’t want to take action. I want to see that strike action avoided… I don’t want to see industrial action because I see workers losing their pay and I see the public inconvenienced. I think there’s a way of us getting around the table and stopping it…”

Inconvenienced” here means a £1.7 billion hit to the economy and thousands of family Christmas plans thrown out the window. Rayner also claimed, “We don’t have industrial action in Wales”. Almost true… apart from the thousands of striking nurses and ambulance workers.

Another day, another shadow cabinet minister dodging the simple question: do you support the strikes? Today it was Angela Rayner’s turn, after the RMT last night voted to derail Christmas with more strikes over the next few weeks. Asked by Kay Burley if she supported the move and all the chaos it will inflict, an unusually coy Rayner trotted out Labour’s refrain:

“I think the RMT don’t want to take action. I want to see that strike action avoided… I don’t want to see industrial action because I see workers losing their pay and I see the public inconvenienced. I think there’s a way of us getting around the table and stopping it…”

Inconvenienced” here means a £1.7 billion hit to the economy and thousands of family Christmas plans thrown out the window. Rayner also claimed, “We don’t have industrial action in Wales”. Almost true… apart from the thousands of striking nurses and ambulance workers.
The question is who’s fault is that, the unions or the government and private companies exploiting public sector monopolies?

Reactions: DTA

Pay working people a fair wage, and give them decent conditions to work in, and there won’t be any strikes.

Given public opinion, Rayner’s best move would be to vociferously support the strikes. People have had enough of this corrupt lot in charge.

I’m almost sure that we will join the EU again.

It will probably be in ten years or so. When we are desperate unfortunately, when the economic calamity of Brexit has ravaged us and we have the choice of swallowing our pride and asking to be let back in or fading in to obscurity.

In fact we would have to prove ourselves before being let back in. We would have to prove that we would be reliable and stable.

it will mean that we will have to take euro and everything else that goes with it. There would be no rebate. there will be no special deal like we had before.

This is what the Brexiteers have brought down upon us.

Brexit has undoubtedly diminished our country BUT I could understand it if it was for a clear purpose. With everybody pulling in the same direction or even just all the brexiteers pulling in the same direction.

if for instance it was agreed that Brexit was about trying to re-ignite the commonwealth and build a massive worldwide trading block that can compete with America, china and the EU. I could get behind that, even if it failed, it is worth taking that risk for maybe.

Or even if Brexit was to speed up transition to a technology based green economy, which would see the Uk at the forefront of the world in this sector.

but it wasn’t those things, it was just so BOJO could play priminister the predatory capitalists to exploit the Uk population without the safe guards of the EU. The currency traders to short the pound. Etc etc

all the while the poor are even poorer. The middle class are having their wealth syphoned away. And the whole of the Uk is degraded… makes me sad man.
I'm a pretty successful man (in business terms) and have a pretty decent amount of personal wealth by most measures. As a result I've mixed with many of the rich and wealthy that wanted Brexit and to a person they all wanted it for purely selfish reasons (to make themselves personally richer at the expense of the less fortunate). The saddest thing of all for me was how many of the population didn't realise the real reasons why the right of the Tory party and the UKIPers wanted Brexit this and allowed themselves to be seduced by the liars and their lies.

Pay working people a fair wage, and give them decent conditions to work in, and there won’t be any strikes.

Given public opinion, Rayner’s best move would be to vociferously support the strikes. People have had enough of this corrupt lot in charge.
You do know this down to Network Rail and the TOC’s not apparently offering enough money and nothing to do with the Govt

I'm torn on what to do re; HoL.
I don't think the House is the issue - it's the appointment system that is unfit for purpose.
That said, a ruling house of "Lords" really isn't fit for 2022.
I'm definitely against it being a FPP elected chamber.
It might be a great opportunity to test how Prop Rep could work here.
It will need voter buy in however. We know people didn't engage with with MEP voting - even people enthusiastic about the role of the EU - so we need to avoid HoL2 becoming weak because voters aren't engaged.

Re: the civil service. What does culling that look like to you? What are the issues you see that need solving?

The Irish system for an Upper House is pretty good. Would go along with that.

As for the uncivil service, well I would put them against a wall and shoot them, not doctors teachers, I mean the ones in Whitehall which you may believe or not include my eldest sister. A founding reason of my hatred of them but also the ones I met have been stupid,make me look clever sort of stupid.

Public services have been squeezed for years, the govt then intentionally set of an inflation bomb and wonder why the core service providers, driven to food banks, are going on strike.

Back