• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

But then working in the private sector your future is generally governed by the P&L of the company you work for, company has a bad year you are out on your ear so it's much more risk/reward to an extent compared to the public sector where unions mean your jobs much more secured even if the organisation you work for runs at a whopping loss.

Thats why average length of stay in the public sector jibs s double that of private

Im not sure about that, I’ve worked extensively in both the public and private sector and the only time I’ve been made redundant was working in the public sector for an organisation called NHSU which was meant to be like learn direct for the nhs.

i guess it must depend what sector you work in but I don’t think private sector redundancies are particularly more common than in the public sector. It would be interesting to see some data on this. Certainly working for the public sector is no guarantee against being made redundant

Last edited:
It isn't tax evasion to use non dom status (or offshore banking for that matter). Whether or not we should allow a person to live here for more than 180 days in a year while paying no tax on their overseas income is of course another argument. Personally I feel that we do need some sort of incentive for wealthy people to base themselves in the UK, though I don't think that the current non-dom rules where they pay only £30k a year after 7 to 9 years and then £60k a year after 12 to 14 years before reverting to a UK domiciled status after 15 years is enough of a fee for the privilege.

Unfortunately I doubt that abolishing non dom rules in the UK would result in much of a tax hike for the exchequer. I suspect anyone of any true worth would just cut their time in the UK down to under 180 days a year and continue to domicile themselves in whatever their current tax domicile was. It makes a nice headline grabber though.

it isn’t tax evasion but it is tax avoidance. I don’t profess to having the expert knowledge to calculate the potential benefit of getting rid of non som status but independent experts in the London school of economics and Warwick business school have generated forecasts that it would increase tax revenue somewhere on the region of £3 to £3.5b!

it isn’t tax evasion but it is tax avoidance. I don’t profess to having the expert knowledge to calculate the potential benefit of getting rid of non som status but independent experts in the London school of economics and Warwick business school have generated forecasts that it would increase tax revenue somewhere on the region of £3 to £3.5b!

It depends. The rules were agreed to avoid double taxation. You earn in one country but pay tax on it in both. This has been abused by clever accountants, to pay as little tax as possible.

Eroding debt via inflation is a bit of a fallacy.... High inflation typically also results in high interest rates, thus the debt costs more to service.

Higher interest rates affects future borrowing rates sure, but for older debt inflation helps governments erode it. Not only is the value of a bond reduced in real terms, tax revenue goes up as higher prices paid increases VAT returns. Wage increases also generate more tax revenue, plus more people are pushed into higher tax bands.

You like to make a joke of it. But after brexit we were told the wouldbe no international cooperation. Which is why this news confuses me.

Who told you there'd be no international cooperation? Sounds like something Dr Doom would say but a bit far fetched even for the wretched, vile beings we've been lucky enough to be governed by for what seems like forever.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20221209/p2g/00m/0na/030000c

Surely this is not what brexit was about, partnering with other nations. Surely we should just give the spitfire a lick of paint and send it back out.

Arms in are a bit weird, in the sense that traditional national partnerships don't tend to apply. We tend to lead international programmes through BAE Systems, while the Americans lead things through Lockheed and Boeing.

But then we involve different groups of European and other friendly countries for each specific programme. And they are also not mutually exclusive - we'll also have some planes from American programmes etc.

Everyone is just sorting themselves out for the 6th Generation planes (this is a bit of a plot point in the new Top Gun film) at the moment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth-generation_fighter

Arms in are a bit weird, in the sense that traditional national partnerships don't tend to apply. We tend to lead international programmes through BAE Systems, while the Americans lead things through Lockheed and Boeing.

But then we involve different groups of European and other friendly countries for each specific programme. And they are also not mutually exclusive - we'll also have some planes from American programmes etc.

Everyone is just sorting themselves out for the 6th Generation planes (this is a bit of a plot point in the new Top Gun film) at the moment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth-generation_fighter

Saw it with my son but was watching the AC Milan game on my phone as movies are generally a bit crap.

Point remains brexit means brexit which means we don't do nothing with other countries. The spitfire while blazing out GHod save the king while eating a sausage roll will keep us safe.

I don’t know the answer to this. But couldn’t we have done this and remained in the EU.

are there some EU rules that would have prevented this?

So Brexit didn't change anything here. And the EU army that a few posters feared and cited as reason for voting Brexit, is nowhere to be seen. With Italy a key EU member doing its own deals on arms as an independent nation. Woof woof Brexit!

Last edited:
So Brexit didn't change anything here. And the EU army that a few posters feared and cited as reason for voting Brexit, is nowhere to be seen. With Italy a key EU member doing its own deals on arms as an independent nation. Woof woof Brexit!

The interesting part is actually Japan joining. Which is potentially linked to our pivot to Asia-Pacific/joining the TPP.

If the Tories take parliament to term, I really think that they could be wiped out. There are some many allegations against them and the economy will in even deeper brick. I know that they are 25 points behind now, but it may be better than what lies ahead.

Back