• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

They won't and neither should they. We'll be back in at some point in the future with us adopting the Euro and having our interest rates set by the European Central Bank.

The EU have for years been saying through some of their leading politicians that interest rates and national taxation should be set by Brussels.

Which in sll seriousness is along with the EU army (the response of the Europeans to Ukraine shows what there like) is reason enough to have voted leave.

I know some of you like to harp endlessly on about brexit, but that block has some massive issues over the next couple of decades and we are better off well out of it.

Brexit added nearly £6bn to UK food bills in two years, research finds
Cost of food imported from EU rose because of extra red tape, with poorest most affected

Researchers at the Centre for Economic Performance (CEP) at the LSE studied micro data-tracking trade flows and consumer prices for food products in the UK to identify the transfer of the cost of Brexit red tape to householders.

“We find that leaving the European Union increased the price of food products by 3% a year, leading to a 6% increase over a two-year period,” they say in their report, named Non-tariff barriers and consumer prices: evidence from Brexit.

Its calculations translated to a £5.84bn cost to the food market alone, equating to £210 per household.

-----

I just don't understand how many cling on to Brexit. The poorest are most affected, yet many still back something that is costing them the most.

Last edited:
Brexit added nearly £6bn to UK food bills in two years, research finds
Cost of food imported from EU rose because of extra red tape, with poorest most affected

Researchers at the Centre for Economic Performance (CEP) at the LSE studied micro data-tracking trade flows and consumer prices for food products in the UK to identify the transfer of the cost of Brexit red tape to householders.

“We find that leaving the European Union increased the price of food products by 3% a year, leading to a 6% increase over a two-year period,” they say in their report, named Non-tariff barriers and consumer prices: evidence from Brexit.

Its calculations translated to a £5.84bn cost to the food market alone, equating to £210 per household.

-----

I just don't understand how many cling on to Brexit. The poorest are most affected, yet many still back something that is costing them the most.
That’s weird though because although I think it’s true (I’ve seen the tarrifs) of food costs at work (were in the worlds top 10 catering companies) has only seen increases of around 4% in total until last last year
Maybe we’re buying alternatives….
My worry with any research is it always has a bias. But the tariffs are real for sure, and we were also growing more in the UK and importing less post brexit
Food inflation now though is double digits everywhere and that’s the scary part

Stimulating localism in food would be a real positive. We should only real be importing things that we cant grow here, not things we already have but were cheaper to import because of lower wages and standards.

This means fresher food at much less envirinmental impact (eating british sheep and beef has less environmental impact than importing south american soy products)

Last edited:
Stimulating localism in food would be a real positive. We should only real be importing things that we cant grow here, not things we already have but were cheaper to import because of lower wages and standards.

This means fresher food at much less envirinmental impact (eating british sheep and beef has less environmental impact than importing south american soy products)

How do you feel about opening up the UK to New Zealand and Australian lamb and beef? And lost British exports to France etc?

That’s weird though because although I think it’s true (I’ve seen the tarrifs) of food costs at work (were in the worlds top 10 catering companies) has only seen increases of around 4% in total until last last year
Maybe we’re buying alternatives….
My worry with any research is it always has a bias. But the tariffs are real for sure, and we were also growing more in the UK and importing less post brexit
Food inflation now though is double digits everywhere and that’s the scary part

That's interesting. 4% over 2 years? I guess with volume suppliers help to cushion the impacts. But its broadly in line with the 6% quoted for families.

My colleague is moving back from Barcelona to London. Because of Brexit he has to take trains to Paris and get a friend to drive him and his pooch across the border. You can no longer fly or use rail to take a dog across the border apparnetly, thanks to you know what :) Ridiculous. So many small inefficiencies. A journey that should take 1.5 hours is turned into a 2-day costly journey because of Brexit. It is almost funny.

How do you feel about opening up the UK to New Zealand and Australian lamb and beef? And lost British exports to France etc?
Just generally we should be moving to localism, and fair trade in place of free trade. So all FTAs are undesirable really

The environmental impact of transporting these animals/meat it is one thing, but the real environmental cost is maintaining the herds of these animals, whether in the UK or elsewhere. Livestock takes up 77% of global agricultural land, but provides less than 20% of humanity's calories. And 63% of the crops we grow are fed not to people but to livestock. We need to change this.

The environmental impact of transporting these animals/meat it is one thing, but the real environmental cost is maintaining the herds of these animals, whether in the UK or elsewhere. Livestock takes up 77% of global agricultural land, but provides less than 20% of humanity's calories. And 63% of the crops we grow are fed not to people but to livestock. We need to change this.
Switching beef to lamb and kangeroo would have a big impact on that. I think kangeroo in particular need 1/3 of the feed and grazing land for the same amount of meat

less choice. Seasonal produce only. Your communism is showing again.

pretty soon you will be pitching that eating turnips 3 times a day is actually beneficial.

less choice. Seasonal produce only. Your communism is showing again.

pretty soon you will be pitching that eating turnips 3 times a day is actually beneficial.
Just being responsible and not consuming beyond what the planet can sustain. Winding back on greed and excessive consumption

Switching beef to lamb and kangeroo would have a big impact on that. I think kangeroo in particular need 1/3 of the feed and grazing land for the same amount of meat
Lamb is a disaster too really. Kangeroo?
The trend should be away from eating animals and more to plant based proteins, lab-grown meat or precision fermented foods.

Yes and I’m sure our species will farm Kangaroos responsibly, humanely and fairly, as modern animal agriculture corps always have done.

Because they are more cuddly looking? I think its someone like Greenpeace who promotes the idea. Its also much better for people - far leaner but with a proper red meat flavour

Isn't Australia overrun by Camels and Kangaroos? Would happily try either, anyone sampled them?

Just being responsible and not consuming beyond what the planet can sustain. Winding back on greed and excessive consumption

if you were being responsible you would put your hands up and say,

“ ok lads, I was totally wrong about Brexit. It’s been a clusterfûck for this country. I’m sorry. “

instead you double down on this imaginary Society that even by your own admission is based on degrowth, less choice, worse services etc.

while the actual Brexiteers in the Tory party are signing horrible trade deals with Australia that will actually devastate local farmers here…. The opposite of what you bang in about.

Lamb is a disaster too really. Kangeroo?
The trend should be away from eating animals and more to plant based proteins, lab-grown meat or precision fermented foods.

Are grazing animals so bad? In the UK we don't have big barn cattle feeds where grain is fed to stationary animals. Both sheep and UK cattle eat grass, so the impact is far less. There used to be 50m+ Buffalo in the US alone, freely grazing. I guess it was a good thing humans almost exterminated them.

Back