• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

Bentancur is out injured for a fair while yet and probably won’t be back to his previous levels this season (here’s hoping he can get back to those levels at all…. It isn’t guaranteed). I think we’re already likely to be flirting with a relegation battle this season, I’m not sure selling one of the few experienced players we have left is particularly sensible from a results perspective (though I appreciate that results might be secondary to finances for the owners at present)

What's your basis for thinking this?

You aint getting a buyer at that price unless it’s Saudi or the prem

His last two transfers have been for less than £20m each, it's difficult see what he's done to double his price, especially as we don't appear to want him, nobody is going to pay more than 20m euro.

His last two transfers have been for less than £20m each, it's difficult see what he's done to double his price, especially as we don't appear to want him, nobody is going to pay more than 20m euro.

You tend to see things differently when you watch a player week in, week out. It sheds a poor light on players when they are struggling. He's been a fairly important player in a Danish team that did very well during the WC qualifiers. If they hadn't flopped in Qatar, he could be worth a lot more.

Remember, our scouting network was crap for years but we're not the only club like that. Guy looked good in an impressive Danish team, he played in (arguably) the toughest league in the word, he's listed as having 4 goals and 5 assists in a team that finished in mid-table... it's not that bad. His profile's much higher than it was when he was playing for Southampton or in Germany. Unfortunately, there's a lot less money flowing around so we won't make a profit on him but in a similar context, I think he should have been worth more (maybe not double of what we paid for him, though).

You tend to see things differently when you watch a player week in, week out. It sheds a poor light on players when they are struggling. He's been a fairly important player in a Danish team that did very well during the WC qualifiers. If they hadn't flopped in Qatar, he could be worth a lot more.

Remember, our scouting network was crap for years but we're not the only club like that. Guy looked good in an impressive Danish team, he played in (arguably) the toughest league in the word, he's listed as having 4 goals and 5 assists in a team that finished in mid-table... it's not that bad. His profile's much higher than it was when he was playing for Southampton or in Germany. Unfortunately, there's a lot less money flowing around so we won't make a profit on him but in a similar context, I think he should have been worth more (maybe not double of what we paid for him, though).

He's worth whatever another club is willing to pay, nobody is queueing up for him at 25m euros, so I really can't see the justification for the prices being quoted here.

He's worth whatever another club is willing to pay, nobody is queueing up for him at 25m euros, so I really can't see the justification for the prices being quoted here.

That's one way to look at it but that means a) that you can only assess a player's value after he's been sold and b) that Caicedo is worth as much as Harry Kane. I get the idea behind your post but, at the same time, I can't agree that Ndombele is worth 68m and 200k/wk - not to us anyway.

That's one way to look at it but that means a) that you can only assess a player's value after he's been sold and b) that Caicedo is worth as much as Harry Kane. I get the idea behind your post but, at the same time, I can't agree that Ndombele is worth 68m and 200k/wk - not to us anyway.
He was at the time we signed him TO US. And that's fundamentally what it always comes down. What is the fee a club is prepared to pay for a player.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

What's your basis for thinking this?
We've lost our best player from last season who is worth 30+ goals to the team. His replacement is worth maybe 12 goals a season, that is a lot of goals lost. We've only got two decent centre backs suited to Postecoglou's high line system. We've got a young, inexperienced keeper with no premier league experience, we've lost or best midfield player from last season to injury and he unlikely to return and be up near his best until late this season (if at all).

Our players also all need to settle in to Postecoglou's new system and that is likely to take some time.

I think we'll likely have a bumpy start while the players adapt to the new system and I think the atmosphere in the stadium may then become a little toxic (though if we do have a bumpy start then I think that the toxicity will be directed at the Chairman and owners as opposed to manager and players).

The chairman has also shown that he has a habit of sacking managers if they're not up in the top 6 places in the league (especially if the crowd are showing a bit of unrest) and I'm therefore not convinced that the manager will get the time to see the rebuild through (as I don't think we'll be in or close to the top 6 this season) another new manager coming in then may not get the bounce that the chairman will hope for/expect.

Fingers crossed we'll stay in the top half and not end up in a battle, but its not guaranteed IMO. I think we are one of the most backed teams for relegation this year, that isn't because we are absolutely one of the most likely 4 or 5 to go down but because our odds are amongst the best value.

Last edited:
We've lost our best player from last season who is worth 30+ goals to the team. His replacement is worth maybe 12 goals a season, that is a lot of goals lost. We've only got two decent centre backs suited to Postecoglou's high line system. We've got a young, inexperienced keeper with no premier league experience, we've lost or best midfield player from last season to injury and he unlikely to return and be up near his best until late this season (if at all).

Our players also all need to settle in to Postecoglou's new system and that is likely to take some time.

I think we'll likely have a bumpy start while the players adapt to the new system and I think the atmosphere in the stadium may then become a little toxic (though if we do have a bumpy start then I think that the toxicity will be directed at the Chairman and owners as opposed to manager and players).

The chairman has also shown that he has a habit of sacking managers if they're not up in the top 6 places in the league (especially if the crowd are showing a bit of unrest) and I'm therefore not convinced that the manager will get the time to see the rebuild through (as I don't think we'll be in or close to the top 6 this season) another new manager coming in then may not get the bounce that the chairman will hope for/expect.

Fingers crossed we'll stay in the top half and not end up in a battle, but its not guaranteed IMO. I think we are one of the most backed teams for relegation this year, that isn't because we are absolutely one of the most likely 4 or 5 to go down but because our odds are amongst the best value.
If you've been affected by any of the issues raised in this post then help and support is available through a number of organisations.
Call Samaritans on 116 123 where you can reach out to friendly support 24 hours a day

Relegation?

Now this ladies and gentlemen is catastrophic thinking.

Last edited:

This is a very “glass half empty” way of thinking. We’ve also brought in Maddison, actually have 3 CBs who can play Ange’s system. There’s good reason to think Bissouma will kick on while Udogie looks a player. The impact of Kane’s loss won’t be nearly as severe as the fatalists are claiming.

We’ll finish 4th-8th. I’d have us closer to the lower end of that range but who knows.

Back