• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulinho

Re: Official - Paulinho

P454_zps19098eec.png

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Paulinho.html

yes and we really need both sandro and capoue - in rotation - so that we can let fly our attack without fear.

THe likelihood is he started off well and faded is that he's burnt out after non stop football for a year? Not to mention he's just come back from injury, new country and surroundings etc Anyone is an idiot for not giving new signings a season to bed in, there are so many variable factors noone here can appreciate, myself included....

i used to subscribe to that whole..."give them as much time as they need" but at 17 million and north of 70,000 a week am thinking now "fair enough your adjusting, but you better show some effort to otherwise.....no"

if the dude is jaded then why is he playing? shouldnt he be resting? Or is this going to somehow become sherwoods fault?

Last edited:

Er... is that a joke or an attempt at irony?

Capoue has worse passing than Paulinho
Less work rate
Gets pulled out of position when he is supposed to be defensive minded
Jogs back into position

Neither have been great recently but to criticise Paulinho for things that Capoue does too... and say Capoue is a lot better... makes no sense.

I think Paulinho is a good player and could be as effective as Lampard; he was great against Stoke until Charlie Adam did what he always does to the best player on the pitch.

not sure i agree about all that stuff with capoue tbf...i think there in lies the main difference

Capoue definately offers a speciality and therefore and clear direction of how the team will function. he also can provide more balance that paulinho with almost anyone none defensive specialty minded...when paulinho came off for capoue i thought at least now i know what we will be getting with this guy

Can't make my mind up about Paulie at the moment. Will he turn out to be our Lampard? Really hope so but only seen little glimpses so far.

What I do feel though is that we
MUST play a recognised DM ( either Sandro or Capoue) if he is in the team. I don't rate the Dembele/Pauli pairing without the security behind them. They go wandering too much.

Can't make my mind up about Paulie at the moment. Will he turn out to be our Lampard? Really hope so but only seen little glimpses so far.

MUST play a recognised DM ( either Sandro or Capoue) if he is in the team. I don't rate the Dembele/Pauli pairing without the security behind them. They go wandering too much.

I agree, we need to realize that to play an outright attacking mid (with the idea of them getting 10+ goals a season), they have to play forward (with the freedom of a DM behind them), so many times I watch Dembele play and think, great strength, great shielding of the ball, nice turns, but really, wtf is he doing? not playing DM, not a passer and doesn't get into a finishing place enough.

To me, Sandro is a given when fit, Eriksen (or Bentaleb depending on your views there) as the ball player, Paulinho/Dembele (Dembele would have to up his game) as the AM, and Lennon/Townsend as the pace/width option.

he needs to rack up some serious goals and assists stats, otherwise i'd have eriksen ahead of him to offer something different.

paulie like dembele = ball holding AM

capoue like sandro = DM

If they're all happy playing for each other in rotation I'd keep them all - but agree that we have more technical players than grafters, so need that DM to steady the ship.

i used to subscribe to that whole..."give them as much time as they need" but at 17 million and north of 70,000 a week am thinking now "fair enough your adjusting, but you better show some effort to otherwise.....no"

if the dude is jaded then why is he playing? shouldnt he be resting? Or is this going to somehow become sherwoods fault?

It's something people certainly have been critical of AVB because of.

Almost as soon as Sherwood came in Paulinho got suspended and then injured. Makes sense to reintroduce him after that without having to rest him.

In his current position, and based on the season so far, who would people rather have in their side, Gylfi Sigurðsson or Paulinho?

I agree, we need to realize that to play an outright attacking mid (with the idea of them getting 10+ goals a season), they have to play forward (with the freedom of a DM behind them), so many times I watch Dembele play and think, great strength, great shielding of the ball, nice turns, but really, wtf is he doing? not playing DM, not a passer and doesn't get into a finishing place enough.

To me, Sandro is a given when fit, Eriksen (or Bentaleb depending on your views there) as the ball player, Paulinho/Dembele (Dembele would have to up his game) as the AM, and Lennon/Townsend as the pace/width option.

I also can not see what Dembele brings to the table either.

In his current position, and based on the season so far, who would people rather have in their side, Gylfi Sigurðsson or Paulinho?

Gylfi but they're both as bad as eachother in that position (and i rate Gylfi generally). Invisibilnho is more than happy to ghost a game, not track back, just jog around a bit. Gylfi at least gets himself involved more...but he's still guilty of not involving himself in general play enough. I don't even trust Eriksen in that number 10 role to perform to a consistent level. There's only 2 players imo (well two and a half) that i trust to play that role effectively...Lamela, Townsend and to a lesser extent Lennon.

I think like all our midfielders, they are going through an identity crisis based on the system and not the player.

You buy good players based on form in their old positions and in true Tottenham style we reinvent the wheel or try to.

I really like siggy, he was the heir to lampard but has never been given the chance to fulfil his potential.

I'm glad you mentioned Lampard, because it was Riquelme who referred to Paulinho as the "black Lampard". And Gylfi was often hailed as you said, as their heir to Lampard.

Both are no where near Lampard's level in the PL.

Gylfi but they're both as bad as eachother in that position (and i rate Gylfi generally). Invisibilnho is more than happy to ghost a game, not track back, just jog around a bit. Gylfi at least gets himself involved more...but he's still guilty of not involving himself in general play enough. I don't even trust Eriksen in that number 10 role to perform to a consistent level. There's only 2 players imo (well two and a half) that i trust to play that role effectively...Lamela, Townsend and to a lesser extent Lennon.

Townsend in the free role behind the striker? Hmm would have to see it.

Grays_1890, good point about identity crisis based on the system. I think all our squad players are genuinely decent players. But are completely lost in understanding their function for the team. I think the blend and the balance is wrong. I've said before, players like Soldado and Lennon rely on good supply, solid midfielders like Dembele, Sandro, Paulinho rely on a clever attacking midfielder playmaker type (think Silva, Cazorla, Mata) for them to be effective.

We've got the blend all wrong, and as a result our football is poor.

Townsend in the free role behind the striker? Hmm would have to see it.

Grays_1890, good point about identity crisis based on the system. I think all our squad players are genuinely decent players. But are completely lost in understanding their function for the team. I think the blend and the balance is wrong. I've said before, players like Soldado and Lennon rely on good supply, solid midfielders like Dembele, Sandro, Paulinho rely on a clever attacking midfielder playmaker type (think Silva, Cazorla, Mata) for them to be effective.

We've got the blend all wrong, and as a result our football is poor.

Good post. Regarding the bold part, this is the reason why our central midfield (if playing a three) should always consist of Eriksen plus one of Dembele/Paulinho/Bentaleb and one of Sandro/Capoue.

Eriksen is the only creative spark we have, he needs to be given the environment and support to excel at what he's good at (rather than sitting on the bench!)

I'd rather Sig, for me he's not got the timing of Paulinho with regards to getting in the box but all the evidence we have seen so far shows that he is far more eficient in front of goal.

Paulinho is playing like a man with one thing on his mind - Brazil 2014.
He wants to run the clock down this season and make it to his home World Cup.
He jumped out of two tackles yesterday, and given we are (were) in a proper scrap for fourth, that is unacceptable.
He promised so much but has failed to deliver over recent months.

Back