• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulinho -José Paulo Bezerra Maciel Júnior

Well then that'd explain it. If Alves is back, Paulinho pushes on. If Alves attacks, Paulinho sits back, it isn't rocket science.

Well that depends, has Scolari said publicly that his role is to sit deep and cover Alves? Or has someone just decided thats meant to be what he's doing?

“Felipão’s been talking to us a lot about getting that balance right,” said Paulinho, when speaking to FIFA.com. “He insists that first and foremost we have to defend really well, to provide back-up for the defensive line,” added the Corinthians man, a player typically concise in interview and who, for the moment at least, remains better-known in Brazil than abroad.

And though defensive solidity is the main priority with the national team, at club level with O Timão in recent years Paulinho has also caught the eye thanks to the exquisite timing of his runs into goalscoring positions. Quick, leggy and a cool finisher, Paulinho is always a threat in and around the opposing box and, though Scolari has not forbidden his forward raids, he has to pick his moments carefully.

“Paulinho is free to go forward when it’s right for the team for him to go,” explained Felipão. “At club level, very often, the full-back on his side overlaps significantly less. But in this team we’ve got a player [in Dani Alves] who goes forward an awful lot, so he [Paulinho] needs to cover for him, which is something he knows how to do. Here with A Seleção things are different, he needs to be able to adapt to the characteristics of the players around him.”

These lessons appear to have sunk in. In the 3-0 win against the Asian champions, Paulinho did his bit to ensure the team kept a clean sheet as well as popping up in the area to fire Brazil’s second goal. “Am I allowed to attack? Whenever I’m given enough license, I’ll always look to go forward,” said the Corintiano stalwart. “What’s more, [by doing that] I got an important goal today.”

Thanks, I don't know how much of the game you're watching but Alves and Paulinho are consistently both attacking so doesn't appear to be much covering going on!

Thanks, I don't know how much of the game you're watching but Alves and Paulinho are consistently both attacking so doesn't appear to be much covering going on!

yeah i agree, it's definitely strange. He was definitely doing it in the opening games. In the first half he was doing it but it seems every since Cavani scored they seem to be more attacking but Paulinho has been poor. Maybe he's nursing an injury

A bit surprised by some of the comments here. Would those of you that are negative about us signing him and/or his performance today have been saying the same had that performance been put in by an English or German player?

Solid performance, helped balance the midfield and team well. Uruguay had very few counter attacking chances, in part at least thanks to Paulinho. Tidy on the ball and capable of scoring goals somewhat regularly from that position.

I still hope that if we sign him he will prove himself capable of being involved more in the buildup play, I think so as he looks tidy on the ball. Would probably be involved more if he played Luis Gustavo's role instead of the one given to him.

I like the fact that he's motivated for the best of the team; prepared to play a role in the team's success rather than always chasing personal glory.

He played a team role today, kept distribution going tidily, won the ball back for his side and held good defensive positions.

In the end he did get to taste personal glory, with a goal but that was a glory for the team too, as it takes them through to the Final.

Yeah it's a shame we have no striker half as good as Neymar to be able to control it. If he tried that pass at Spurs he'd have been slated.

Wasn't overly impressed by him but not gonna be departed and base my sole opinion on that one game. If he comes in let's hope he does the business

Back