• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT Tottenham Hotspur Vs Watford***

I don't like to repeat the same words or sentences over and over so I'm not going to say "we played crap" in every post, I might word it differently tomorrow when I post. Perhaps your definition of playing well is different to mine.

But you will use those two more or less interchangeably?

None of us have used "played well" in this conversation... Perhaps our definition of "playing crap" is different? If your definition of "played crap" is that it means "we didn't play well" I would say it most certainly is.

If you're unhappy about the responses you get to your criticism perhaps you should put slightly more thought into how you word it?

I'm over the moon with how the season has gone so far and Poch is doing a brilliant job. I wish we would kill teams off more efficiently but that's nitpicking.

That aside, I stand by what I said. We did not play well. If you think we played well then good for you, but as I said before, I have very, very rarely seen you admit that we have actually played badly on this forum in 5 years so I'm genuinely not sure what it would take for you to say we played bad.

We created two clear cut chances in the game, one of which was the winner that could and perhaps should have been given offside.
We played as well as we were allowed to.
Considering some robust tackles, a poor pitch and that beast up top for them then we should just put the points in the bank and move on.

One other thing re sons goal, if he was offside then so was a Watford player in the build up to the corner they had that Hugo stopped. Rule maybe needs clarifying.

I don't think anyone could say that we played really well, we didn't play badly though. iMO, we had a bad 10 minute spell that started about the 80th minute, and we were lucky to get the winning goal in this match. Other than that, we controlled the majority of the game, even before the sending off. When they went down to 10, they defended well and for some reason, we had a panicky 10 minutes from about the 80 minute mark. Overall though, we were the better side against a very in-form team, so it was in no way a bad performance imo. We just had a bad spell within the game that Watford didn't take advantage of.

Maybe being at the game, being caught up in the atmosphere and last minute celebration winner distorts ones view as I didn't think we were that bad.

Against two form strikers who have bullied the rest of the league we didn't give them a sniff 1st half apart from an over eager Dier who was outmuscled and rolled for the equaliser.

And the last 10 mins weren't great when we needlessly panicked...I didn't understand why we brought everyone back against 10 men. We had no out ball for long periods and when we did clear it just came back but we stood strong.

The main disappointment for me was creating next to nothing after they went down to 10. I texted my mate saying we just need some patience and width but then just seemed to spend the next 20 mins coming inside and forcing the play.

Considering they had about 1 day to work on the new formation / tactics I think defensively it worked a treat apart from the odd scare more through our only making.

I thought Tom Carroll was very hit and miss....great vision one minute then poor pass the next but could perhaps have done with him to keep the ball moving.

In the end, never mind we managed to creep over the line for 3 huge points and massive lift for all.

We played as well as we were allowed to.
Considering some robust tackles, a poor pitch and that beast up top for them then we should just put the points in the bank and move on.

One other thing re sons goal, if he was offside then so was a Watford player in the build up to the corner they had that Hugo stopped. Rule maybe needs clarifying.

I agree that the way the offside rule is being enforced these days needs clarifying. Particularly what it actually means to actively take part in play or be involved or whatever it is that's supposed to make the lino raise the flag.

I don't think anyone could say that we played really well, we didn't play badly though. iMO, we had a bad 10 minute spell that started about the 80th minute, and we were lucky to get the winning goal in this match. Other than that, we controlled the majority of the game, even before the sending off. When they went down to 10, they defended well and for some reason, we had a panicky 10 minutes from about the 80 minute mark. Overall though, we were the better side against a very in-form team, so it was in no way a bad performance imo. We just had a bad spell within the game that Watford didn't take advantage of.

I agree that we looked in control up until the sending off. I actually thought we looked more likely to score before the sending off (in the second half) than after it.

Watford defended well and completely seized the initiative after the red card. Not that uncommon to see a team up their defensive game and become more solid after a red card. I also thought they managed to make it even more scrappy, get into arguments and waste time. Not sure if I saw the situation correctly, but it even looked like one of the Watford subs knocked the ball out of Toby's hand as he went to collect it for a throw. Someone on the Watford bench seemed to respond angrily, but Toby was cool about it.

They manage to put us under a bit of pressure towards the end with set pieces and some pressing. I have to say I thought our set piece defending was better than in weeks or months. They had some real big players and some decent set piece takers. But we looked more in control than we have for months. Apart from when Kane volleyed a clearance up into the sky and back towards Lloris... That wasn't the most composed defending ever :)

But you will use those two more or less interchangeably?

None of us have used "played well" in this conversation... Perhaps our definition of "playing crap" is different? If your definition of "played crap" is that it means "we didn't play well" I would say it most certainly is.

If you're unhappy about the responses you get to your criticism perhaps you should put slightly more thought into how you word it?

You are being pedantic for the sake of it now.

You say that people are free to criticise performances and to say we are not allowed to is straw man, but the next time we lose 4-1 and people are unhappy you will come on here and say we played OK and people are overreacting. Once again, you will more than likely think this is straw man but perhaps you should follow your own advice and think more carefully about how you post, but that's honestly how it comes across.

I've got a season ticket, I go to every home game and have never once booed the team, even when we had superstars Jason Dozell and Dean Austin, but I won't bury my head redact constructive criticism if I feel we have underperformed. There's a difference between saying Eriksen is a pussy, Kane is selfish and out for himself, Eriksen is lazy (all things I have seen written on GG recently) and critiquing a bad day at the office.

I think the last 10 minutes might have been us not having created any clear chances against a 10-man Watford, who were defending the draw, in the preceding 20-odd minutes and putting pressure on ourselves. This leads to forcing things, making mistakes and getting sloppy with the result being Watford took advantage. Nothing new here and not unusual, even for the best of teams. Had we been ahead when Ake was sent off, Watford would have had to open up more and we may have ended up winning 2-0 or 3-0.

You are being pedantic for the sake of it now.

You say that people are free to criticise performances and to say we are not allowed to is straw man, but the next time we lose 4-1 and people are unhappy you will come on here and say we played OK and people are overreacting. Once again, you will more than likely think this is straw man but perhaps you should follow your own advice and think more carefully about how you post, but that's honestly how it comes across.

I've got a season ticket, I go to every home game and have never once booed the team, even when we had superstars Jason Dozell and Dean Austin, but I won't bury my head redact constructive criticism if I feel we have underperformed. There's a difference between saying Eriksen is a pussy, Kane is selfish and out for himself, Eriksen is lazy (all things I have seen written on GG recently) and critiquing a bad day at the office.

To you the difference might be pedantic. To me it's not, I'm guessing I'm not alone. You see yourself that you respond negatively to people being overly critical so I think you can understand my response. All I'm saying is that if you choose the less provocative, more nuanced, less hyperbolic criticism in the first place you can perhaps do without some of the responses you don't like.

Just a suggestion mate as you seemed upset about how people were responding to you. Take it or leave it. As this is getting very close to circular I will bow out.

I'd wager if some of you guys watched the game knowing the outcome you'd not be so harsh in your appraisals.

Also if that 10 minute Watford spell of pressure had come earlier in the half rather than at the end it'd be viewed differently.

Sadly I was unable watch the game here in the US, due to my screwing up and arranging a meeting, after forgetting that Monday was a Bank holiday in the UK and that we had a game. Probably the first I've missed in 7 or 8 years.

Very pleased with the win and I know this is probably a bit from left field but how did Capoue play for Watford ? I'm interested to know ,as he was someone I had high hopes for when we signed him.Although I must admit, like so many of the 'Magnificent 7' I wasn't sorry to see him leave.

I'd wager if some of you guys watched the game knowing the outcome you'd not be so harsh in your appraisals.

Also if that 10 minute Watford spell of pressure had come earlier in the half rather than at the end it'd be viewed differently.
but why do you judge the football by the outcome? could it be analysed and discussed separately ?

but why do you judge the football by the outcome? could it be analysed and discussed separately ?

I mean that if you watch the game free of the in the moment bias a supporter often watches a game with you'll likely see the game in a more balanced way

Sadly I was unable watch the game here in the US, due to my screwing up and arranging a meeting, after forgetting that Monday was a Bank holiday in the UK and that we had a game. Probably the first I've missed in 7 or 8 years.

Very pleased with the win and I know this is probably a bit from left field but how did Capoue play for Watford ? I'm interested to know ,as he was someone I had high hopes for when we signed him.Although I must admit, like so many of the 'Magnificent 7' I wasn't sorry to see him leave.

He was ordinary. Had little or no impact on the game. Forgot he was still on the pitch at one stage.

what a great result, this isn't your dad's watford, "can we not knock it" doesn't manage this team, the boy flores will be managing one of the milan sides in the next few years, you watch this space. Flores's team deserved every inch of a 3-0 win over the scouser who then went on to beat Leicester, sounds like good form to me.
That was a stonewall red, the media will call it controversial because they hate us.
Great to see their "goal" taken away by hawkeye or whatever it is, 3 years ago 1/100 ref calls that a goal, this club has had so many of these gutter calls go against us, its nice to get a break for us.
Love Poch going for 3 at the back, brave, bold decision and we played 2 days ago, people thinking we should be playing fancy dan football against a resolute team who defend well with 10 or 11 don't understand the game.
I love seeing Son score, that smile makes a grumpy sort like me move my mouth muscles too.

Living in St Albans I know a fair few Watford fans and they've all been raving about Capoue and rightly so whenever I've seen him on TV this season he has been excellent but was anonymous today apart from a couple of wayward shots in the 1st half which resulted in a bit of banter from the Spurs fans.

Looked the player that we sold yesterday.

Living in St Albans I know a fair few Watford fans and they've all been raving about Capoue and rightly so whenever I've seen him on TV this season he has been excellent but was anonymous today apart from a couple of wayward shots in the 1st half which resulted in a bit of banter from the Spurs fans.

Looked the player that we sold yesterday.
Wonder what effect him getting taken out early had, and whether we targeted him cos we think he's soft and that's why we sold him?

CXVFa1kWsAAZnYf.jpg:large

*not my photo
What a great photo.

Back