• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT: Mighty Spurs vs Scum ***

That's poor from Bentancur, had no reason to move forward. That plus Romero letting Gabriel nudge him away and Vicario standing on his line when the ball is 3 yards out.

Personally I fail to see any positives in that whatsoever.

They were missing key players and coming to our place. We failed to create anything of note after about the first twenty minutes. We conceded our standard cheap, set piece goal (but it’s OK because the manager says he doesn’t care about that) to a defender that didn’t appear to have to move or jump to win the ball. We spent the entire 90 minutes passing sideways and backwards waiting for… I do not know what we were waiting for. On those occasions that we did move the ball forward and wide, we had a procession of ‘wingers’ that scuffed meaningless crosses straight into touch/to the GK/into the first defender/over the top of everyone.

In short, that was an absolutely pathetic performance.

I think Werner is fine as an old fashioned winger. If you need goals from him then you have a problem. But Arsenal managed to transform Havertz into a decent player. It's amazing what good coaching can do
This is why the elephant in the room is Son. It's all well and good saying he's the best finisher at the club, but how many chances has he or others created for himself to finish? He has lost his edge, and doesn't contribute enough to the attacking play unless an opportunity for him to score.

Hes not a winger in this system, and he's really not particularly good as a striker with his attributes - unless we are lucky enough to be playing Everton at home every week....

Miles better I agree (maybe not than Odobert) but still it amounted to the grand total of fudge all.

Random crosses into areas and not aimed at specific players don't impress me. Anyone can do that and they typically dont lead to anything because they aren't targeted at a specific player. Every now and again yes you get a goal from them but they are low percentage chance.2 The greats didn't just fling crosses into areas they crossed to specific players and and until that's the way we are playing with wide players we'll continue to "have no one where the crosss was"

But back to the topic of Werner, he was ok in his cameo but still that's it only ok. If that's the standard then forget what you claimed about this being out year.
Crosses are put into an area for a player to attack, they don't cross aiming at a static player.

Worst start to the season in 9 years apparently.

If I'm counting right, that brings us back to Poch's first season. It all kicked off for him around the tenth game (I think the Harry free kick against Villa?).

Maybe it all kicks off for Postecoglou in his 50th game, i.e, by October. You have to account for the disparity in quality - Poch was, and is, a far, far, far superior coach than Postecoglou is, so could accomplish more in less time.

But, truth be told, it's not about Postecoglou. He's a mediocre journeyman doing a roughly average job with what he has.

It's what he has that is the problem. Take off Johnson, bring on Odobert. Take off Maddison, bring on Timo Werner.

Games are simply not won with that level of quality. And it will not change as long as we are run the way we are.

If I'm counting right, that brings us back to Poch's first season. It all kicked off for him around the tenth game (I think the Harry free kick against Villa?).

Maybe it all kicks off for Postecoglou in his 50th game, i.e, by October. You have to account for the disparity in quality - Poch was, and is, a far, far, far superior coach than Postecoglou is, so could accomplish more in less time.

But, truth be told, it's not about Postecoglou. He's a mediocre journeyman doing a roughly average job with what he has.

It's what he has that is the problem. Take off Johnson, bring on Odobert. Take off Maddison, bring on Timo Werner.

Games are simply not won with that level of quality. And it will not change as long as we are run the way we are.
I think starting with Odobert and Bergvall would have significantly increased our attacking threat personally, however I do understand your point.

I think this is absolutely fair!

I think starting with Odobert and Bergvall would have significantly increased our attacking threat personally, however I do understand your point.
Bergs need to come on. There is nowhere he is worse than what as happening. At least he would have run at them

Crosses are put into an area for a player to attack, they don't cross aiming at a static player.
Great crossers of the ball cross into the space where the player will run to not just tona specific area and hope that a player will be there. Beckham crossed to the man not an area, Figo crossed to the man again not to some specific space.

Solanke looks pretty meh as well

They didn't, they crossed to an area and the player ran into it.

Yeah, but they crossed it into areas they knew players would be attacking.

We cross it into areas, but it doesn't look like anyone is going to attack that area.

I can only think of the cut back to Kulusevski that worked.

Johnson also suits a counter attacking team. Ie. Nottingham Forest where he will have loads of space to run into.

Our attacking block is functionally poor and this is why a lot of us were bemoaning the signing of Werner as he is good squad depth he's just another substandard player to add to the quota if attackers who aren't good enough.

And we were told “it’s too early not to be positive about the signing of werner”. Me and you keep saying over and over that we need better quality signings.

Pointless stat. It's been 4 games and in that 9 year period I'd hazard a guess our first 4 games didn't always include games of the difficulty level of Saudi Sportswashing Machine away and the Goons at home in them....
Or as easy as a really terrible Everton at home and relegation favourites Leicester away.
He has movement, wants the ball and wants to always play the ball forward if he can.

He needs to be starting the next game along with a few other youngsters
Starting the youngsters is the only thing I can get on board with at the minute tbh. I haven’t enjoyed watching how we play since late last Autumn.
Solanke looks pretty meh as well
I thought he did okay, certainly first half (bar the inability to get a shot away when he had a HUGE amount of time). But I didn’t understand the signing. One good PL season at the age of 27 doesn’t seem to fit with the stat-based signing policy we now apparently pursue.

Yeah, but they crossed it into areas they knew players would be attacking.

We cross it into areas, but it doesn't look like anyone is going to attack that area.

I can only think of the cut back to Kulusevski that worked.
The quality of the crossing was poor. Maddison put in one good cross and that was it, the rest were floated, straight to the keeper, out of play or hit the first defender.

Videos have been put up of crossing training were they are told to hit into a certain area so the forwards should know where to attack.

The quality of the crossing was poor. Maddison put in one good cross and that was it, the rest were floated, straight to the keeper, out of play or hit the first defender.

Videos have been put up of crossing training were they are told to hit into a certain area so the forwards should know where to attack.
Don’t know why we kept playing in high crosses.

Back