• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Might Spurs v Coventry Wednesday 18 September, kick-off 8pm

You can take care of business

Manage the game, kill it properly/early, get it done

It would be nice to think we could achieve "taking care of business" by rotating 7 or 8 and blooding the kids, but realistically we shouldn't take that risk. Perhaps the time to do that is in the EL where you have time in the league format to recover.

I'm quite happy for the captain and 2 vices to sit this one out though. They are probably the 3 that deserve to be rotated the most based on the last 4 games. Good opportunity to leave the rest the same and bring in Dragu, Bergval and 2 out of Werner, Johnson and Odobert in the wide positions. That is also assuming that Bissouma is still out. I'd have recalled him and even partnered him with Bentancur.

It would be nice to think we could achieve "taking care of business" by rotating 7 or 8 and blooding the kids, but realistically we shouldn't take that risk. Perhaps the time to do that is in the EL where you have time in the league format to recover.

I'm quite happy for the captain and 2 vices to sit this one out though. They are probably the 3 that deserve to be rotated the most based on the last 4 games. Good opportunity to leave the rest the same and bring in Dragu, Bergval and 2 out of Werner, Johnson and Odobert in the wide positions. That is also assuming that Bissouma is still out. I'd have recalled him and even partnered him with Bentancur.

Yep, if we are 3-0/4-0 up at some point you could play that put the kids on mode.

Reality is, results haven't gone our way for a while, got to get into winning habit again, regardless of opposition

Playing the "kids" is not taking a risk. They'll play and give 100%. There is a very good chance a lot of the 1st team players will be cruising at 50%. If you go behind then, and the crowd fires up the home team, it's difficult to raise the level.
I'd want the youngsters and Fringe players to start.

Playing the "kids" is not taking a risk. They'll play and give 100%. There is a very good chance a lot of the 1st team players will be cruising at 50%. If you go behind then, and the crowd fires up the home team, it's difficult to raise the level.
I'd want the youngsters and Fringe players to
This

Although this is the same Coventry side that gave Utd a scare in the FA Cup Semis.

Is this one of those games where the fans want to see the kids / fringe players and then when we inevitably lose they complain that we are not taking it seriously?
I think we need to start with our strongest team. Given the performance of a couple of our main men so far, that might include a couple of the younger players. If we are 2 or 3 up with 30 minutes to go then we start taking players off.

Integrating one or two amongst the majority first team is not a risk as you don't lose the tactical system. The younger players just find it easier to slot in. Regardless of who the managers have been, we've always lost the tactical system when we've made mass changes. With Ange's system it just makes it even higher risk than it is already because of that natural defensive weakness.

Integrating one or two amongst the majority first team is not a risk as you don't lose the tactical system. The younger players just find it easier to slot in. Regardless of who the managers have been, we've always lost the tactical system when we've made mass changes. With Ange's system it just makes it even higher risk than it is already because of that natural defensive weakness.
They played it to perfection in pre season, so not sure why you come to that conclusion.

I'll also be interested to see how good Luis Binks is after flying the Spurs nest at a young age. Another kid that wanted it all too soon, but saw his path blocked to our first team. Now he has just turned 23 and is playing for Coventry, via Monrteal. I read at the time that Jose rated him.

They played it to perfection in pre season, so not sure why you come to that conclusion.

Probably because all we did all pre-season was concede goals, goals, goals. Despite 4 point from 4 games, I've felt we are a bit tighter and are now losing by the odd goal in the PL. I'd like to keep that focus, and perhaps the first team could do with a clean sheet and battering a team at the other end. It might be the tonic they need to go on a PL run. Doesn't mean you can't integrate a Bergval in there though. Keeping that back part of the team mostly the same, I would probably do something like this

Venom
Porro, Dragu, VDV, Udogie
Bergval, Bents, Kulu
Johnson, Solanke, Odobert

Get the lead and then get Spence, Gray and Moore involved. Have a feeling Ange will play Werner in this one though.

Probably because all we did all pre-season was concede goals, goals, goals. Despite 4 point from 4 games, I've felt we are a bit tighter and are now losing by the odd goal in the PL. I'd like to keep that focus, and perhaps the first team could do with a clean sheet and battering a team at the other end. It might be the tonic they need to go on a PL run. Doesn't mean you can't integrate a Bergval in there though. Keeping that back part of the team mostly the same, I would probably do something like this

Venom
Porro, Dragu, VDV, Udogie
Bergval, Bents, Kulu
Johnson, Solanke, Odobert

Get the lead and then get Spence, Gray and Moore involved. Have a feeling Ange will play Werner in this one though.
Yeah, but there was no difference in the tactical approach or execution between the "first team" and the "second string" in those games, which was what you implied first. The 2nd string arguably did it better.

Starting (for example) Odobert, Gray, Bergvall, Spence, Sarr & Dragusin shouldn't be seen as throwing in the kids - as a group that is a relatively expensive set of players the club has scouted and decided bring in to the first team squad, provided they are showing enough in training I absoloutely have no issue with giving them minutes tonight (nor would I in the league or Europe either)

Edit : to add, I do think they need to be supplemented with usual first XI players for the remaining positions though - a 60:40 / 50:50 mix of regular starters plus rotational players can work well imv, but an entire change XI would be negligent.

Last edited:
Back