• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official TV Thread ***

i think people get lured in by the high production values of american tv tbh - for the most part, from what ive watched most of their tv shows are the same dirge they've always made just with more money behind it now.

Sherlock, as an example of a uk show made with generous amounts of money, is a better show than almost anything america has had to offer since the days of The Sopranos and The Wire

Have you watched 'Game of Thrones'?

nah, im put off because im not really in to fantasy type stuff - looks a little bit Lord of the Rings for my liking, though the hype it's getting i guess i should give it a go

nah, im put off because im not really in to fantasy type stuff - looks a little bit Lord of the Rings for my liking, though the hype it's getting i guess i should give it a go

Mate i usually hate fantasy too. Never got into 'Lord of the rings' or boring ass 'harry potter' but Game of Thrones is something else. It's fantastic tv.

Mate i usually hate fantasy too. Never got into 'Lord of the rings' or boring ass 'harry potter' but Game of Thrones is something else. It's fantastic tv.

This. It's not really about fantasy as much as character exploration and Machiavellian plots to take power.

Is it me or does British tv suck? Don't watch anything except The Apprentice, even that is starting to annoy me. People will watch any brick if its on ITV or BBC rather than switch to other channels and find better programs in lesser known channels. Case in point, just started watching Sons Of Anarchy.

Not just you mate. All the British broadcasters seem come up with nowadays are quizzes, talent contests and scripted-reality shows of which most (such as The Apprentice) are years past their prime.

I remember when the BBC and Channel 4 used to make lots of great sit-coms like Blackadder, Red Dwarf, Drop The Dead Donkey, Father Ted, Only Fools and Horses, Spaced, Desmond's... plus some decent dramas like Cracker, Auf Wiedersehen Pet, Poirot, Cardiac Arrest... but aside from The Inbetweeners, Misfits and The Thick Of It I haven't really followed any British TV series in recent years and probably the only British TV show I still have series linked is Top Gear!

The vast majority of my television viewing in recent years has been made up of American dramas: The Wire, Deadwood, The Sopranos, Dexter, Rome, Battlestar Galactica, Band of Brothers, House, The West Wing, Justified, The Shield, Breaking Bad, 24, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead... If there are any British shows as well written as these on TV currently I'd love to hear about them!

Not just you mate. All the British broadcasters seem come up with nowadays are quizzes, talent contests and scripted-reality shows of which most (such as The Apprentice) are years past their prime.

I remember when the BBC and Channel 4 used to make lots of great sit-coms like Blackadder, Red Dwarf, Drop The Dead Donkey, Father Ted, Only Fools and Horses, Spaced, Desmond's... plus some decent dramas like Cracker, Auf Wiedersehen Pet, Poirot, Cardiac Arrest... but aside from The Inbetweeners, Misfits and The Thick Of It I haven't really followed any British TV series in recent years and probably the only British TV show I still have series linked is Top Gear!

The vast majority of my television viewing in recent years has been made up of American dramas: The Wire, Deadwood, The Sopranos, Dexter, Rome, Battlestar Galactica, Band of Brothers, House, The West Wing, Justified, The Shield, Breaking Bad, 24, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead... If there are any British shows as well written as these on TV currently I'd love to hear about them!

The sitcoms you list span a number of years. Not like they all came out one after the other. There was dross on at the same time as many of those shows. Also, Top Gear? Come on, do people still find Clarkson interesting or funny? Or am I the only one who thinks his ridiculous voice is used to mask the fact he has nothing coherent or poignant to say?

There are still some great comedy programmes on, for instance It's Kevin which has just finished it's first series. Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle is currently being made for series 3. These programmes don't get the big promotional push as they don't star household names, and often go unnoticed. Much like what happened to 15 Storeys High (which, if you haven't seen, is a must. Can get it cheap on DVD)

With the American dramas, HBO and the such are untouchable. The only British programmes of recent years that can begin to come close to those standards are Sherlock and Broadchurch

Is it me or does British tv suck? Don't watch anything except The Apprentice, even that is starting to annoy me. People will watch any brick if its on ITV or BBC rather than switch to other channels and find better programs in lesser known channels. Case in point, just started watching Sons Of Anarchy.
There are a lot of American shows that get much praise over here at the moment, but I wonder if we're just shielded from the crap and their ratio of quality to dross is actually much the same as we get?

BTW, The Apprentice? Really? Faker than ruddy Top Gear :)

There are a lot of American shows that get much praise over here at the moment, but I wonder if we're just shielded from the crap and their ratio of quality to dross is actually much the same as we get?

BTW, The Apprentice? Really? Faker than ruddy Top Gear :)

Yeah they do have their fair share of crap, but their best shows are far better than our best shows.

Apprentice is the only reality show I watch, can't stand Fix Factor or Britain's Got No Talent.

When is Breaking Bad back?

Suits is back in two months - WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Franklin and Bash in a month - WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

When is Breaking Bad back?

Suits is back in two months - WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Franklin and Bash in a month - WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

August I think.

I hope they have a different angle in Suits and stop with all that Hardman brick.

August I think.

I hope they have a different angle in Suits and stop with all that Hardman brick.

I think that is now finished.

I think its now got a more anglo - american feel to it now - as it ended with the english guys merging or something. I did read the metro today which Harvey also said the same thing.

I think its gonna be brilliant and cant wait to see my girlies - donna, rachel etc

The sitcoms you list span a number of years. Not like they all came out one after the other. There was dross on at the same time as many of those shows. Also, Top Gear? Come on, do people still find Clarkson interesting or funny? Or am I the only one who thinks his ridiculous voice is used to mask the fact he has nothing coherent or poignant to say?

There are still some great comedy programmes on, for instance It's Kevin which has just finished it's first series. Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle is currently being made for series 3. These programmes don't get the big promotional push as they don't star household names, and often go unnoticed. Much like what happened to 15 Storeys High (which, if you haven't seen, is a must. Can get it cheap on DVD)

With the American dramas, HBO and the such are untouchable. The only British programmes of recent years that can begin to come close to those standards are Sherlock and Broadchurch

Top Gear is a bit long in the tooth and they could do with some new sketches but I like cars and it's more entertaining than Fifth Gear.

I rate Stewart Lee as a stand-up but the skits on his show (like Omid Djalili's) are a bit too hit and miss from what I've seen. Sean Lock is funny on 8 Out Of 10 Cats so will check out that 15 Storeys High, Kevin looks a bit different but will give it a try too.

It's a shame that the British channels can't seem to come up with as many original dramas as HBO, ShowTime (Dexter, Californication, Nurse Jackie), AMC (Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Mad Men), FX (Justified, Sons Of Anarchy, The Shield).

I think that there has been some decent British programming in recent years....The thick of it, inbetweeners, peep show, Alan partridge, extras, Derek, Luther, broadchurch, those period drama programs (not my cup of tea but very popular, like Mr selfridge, and that upstairs/downstairs thing).

Don't forget our writers/producers have been involved with some very popular 'US' programs like the office and veep

Anyone watching Hannibal?

2 Episodes in and I would highly highly recommend it. I think it's still on catch up on Sky/Sky Go.

The way it's been filmed is brilliant.

[video=youtube;wIeJe56z6bM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIeJe56z6bM[/video]

Back