• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

Question for those with 3D TVs at home

Is the effect that good with the latest large screen LCDs?

Or do you need an enormous projector like in cinemas

I have a 3D TV, its so good that one of the characters in a film I was watching went into my bathroom and had a brick.

Now thats realistic!

Glad you liked it Marky.

It blew me away.

First time I've watched a 3D movie.

It really has taken the cinema to a new level.

First off, when the masters like Scorcese and Ridley Scott step into 3D, you know it's going to be special...secondly, Ridley has great respect for HR Giger, a brilliant artist who I've had the pleasure of spending an afternoon with at his home just outside Zurich 20 years ago, and who told me unequivocally that he was fudged over after the first Alien, thus with Ridley back at the helm, Giger's aesthetics have been treated properly, and he has been shown respect (and some coin again I'm guessing)...

I thought it was excellent. Scott is right, it isn't a "prequel" and to me, there's something said in there which makes it quite clear that this could actually had been happening at exactly the same time as the first ALIEN plot was going down...same "agents', different galaxies sort of thing...

I WILL be going again...

finally. finally managed to watch Into the Wild. spectacular cinematography. wonderfully poignant film floating on a haunting soundtrack. really enjoyed it.

finally. finally managed to watch Into the Wild. spectacular cinematography. wonderfully poignant film floating on a haunting soundtrack. really enjoyed it.

Probably my favourite film ever. Certainly one of them. It helps that I watched it for the first time about a month before I was going travelling by myself for 6 months.

Great movie, one of my favourites with a soundtrack to match if you're Pearl Jam fan

Probably my favourite film ever. Certainly one of them. It helps that I watched it for the first time about a month before I was going travelling by myself for 6 months.

did any hot underage chicks in a campsite want to ride your pole? O:)

Great movie, one of my favourites with a soundtrack to match if you're Pearl Jam fan

the soundtrack was definitely a highlight because i am a PJ fan. that it was based on a true story, a fact i was unaware of before watching it, certainly made a lasting impression on me.

First off, when the masters like Scorcese and Ridley Scott step into 3D, you know it's going to be special...secondly, Ridley has great respect for HR Giger, a brilliant artist who I've had the pleasure of spending an afternoon with at his home just outside Zurich 20 years ago, and who told me unequivocally that he was fudged over after the first Alien, thus with Ridley back at the helm, Giger's aesthetics have been treated properly, and he has been shown respect (and some coin again I'm guessing)...

I thought it was excellent. Scott is right, it isn't a "prequel" and to me, there's something said in there which makes it quite clear that this could actually had been happening at exactly the same time as the first ALIEN plot was going down...same "agents', different galaxies sort of thing...

I WILL be going again...

What did / do you do for a living?

did any hot underage chicks in a campsite want to ride your pole? O:)

No, but a mediocre 17-year-old girl in a hotel did :lol:

I was never a fan of Pearl Jam (not that I don't like them; I've just never really listened to them), but the soundtrack is beautiful. Captures the film, and the feel of travelling, perfectly for me. There's something about it that's very... I don't know what the word is really ... transcendental?

No, but a mediocre 17-year-old girl in a hotel did :lol:

I was never a fan of Pearl Jam (not that I don't like them; I've just never really listened to them), but the soundtrack is beautiful. Captures the film, and the feel of travelling, perfectly for me. There's something about it that's very... I don't know what the word is really ... transcendental?

haha good on you mate.

transcendental...very apt description. spot on.

I heartily recommend the book over the film...thought the film was good until Penn went 'GHod complex' and had that swirling shot of Hersch with his arms out in the jesus pose...the beauty of that story (for me) is it's desolation, which was consequently shattered by the grunge-shuffler's wailing...Krakaur is a great writer though, read Into Thin Air of you want to literally feel like you're having a panic attack on the side of a mountain.

Just saw Prometheus. Meh, very over-rated and highly predictible, mainly because there were so many references to past Alien films, the infection, the 'pregnancy' etc. Also loses points for being ANOTHER exploitative episode in a franchise film. Yeah the Godfather got away with it and parts one and two of Alien, but not too many others.

Finally saw Prometheus in 3D

Some thoughts below and a few spoilers

- cinematography was brilliant in 3D

- cast was mediocre at best with the inevitable politically correct pallet of choice. I found the Swedish actress physically repulsive and ridiculously poor which was hard to ignore. The fact she was the only one who survived made it even worse

- the plot was good and fairly predictable if you've seen the Alien movies / probably very good if you haven't

7.5/10 from me

Below are some question posted by uksb so I'd have a go - MASSIVE SPOILERS

• Why the captain didn't seem to care about two stranded crew members

He did seem to care - simply thought it would be better to fetch them in the morning once the storm had gone

• Why he didn't seem bothered a life form had been detected

Thought it was a 'glitch', appeared half-drunk and was about to smash Theron's laps anyway so couldn't care I guess

• The geologists random hostility towards Shaw - and then getting lost...really? A top level geologist and botanist getting lost?

Agree here although perhaps being pure 'scientist' seeing a massive alien-like creature for the first could have been disturbing

• The botanist reaching out to touch an alien creature he had no information on

Agreed - classic shallow Hollywood predictable flimflam needed to move the story forward

• Shaw and Vickers running from the falling ship...did they not think to run to the side?

Agreed - poor. I suppose Vickers 'had to' die but could have 'used' falling debris instead. Very stupid indeed.

• Shaw escaping and the crew apparently not caring

Agreed - then once she emerged in Guy Pearce's room after her cesarian - no one seemed to care. WTF?

• Holloway wanting to get burned alive in front of his lover

Dramatic, I suppose

• When Shaw realised the Engineers' DNA matched ours, Holloway was in the same room yet didn't seem to realise only to be told later by Shaw

Agreed - questionable unless he was half-drunk already

As to the question of David infecting Holloway - perhaps wanted to 'test' the black matter and see how it affects humans in the hope of helping Guy Pearce cheat death. After all - he was his robot

Back