• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

The problem is Netflix just churning out content without bothering about quality.
There was a report recently that the budget for the Bioshock film at Netflix is apparently quite small, I imagine it's going to be total rubbish, shame as I love those games.

Amazon pumped quite a bit into Fallout and Bethesda were very involved, some may think that's a bad thing but I loved it.

The problem is Netflix just churning out content without bothering about quality.

I'd say that's an industry wide problem. Off the top of my head Netflix has produced / been involved in the making of Russian Doll, Dark, Love/Death/Sex/Robots, some really incredible TV imo. I also thoroughly enjoyed Stranger things and Umbrella Academy but they probably aren't quite as groundbreaking. People always have Breaking Bad up there but it didn't really grab me despite me liking the actors involved. Bojack Horseman also absolutely goated. The Netflix involved Black Mirror hasn't quite been as good but we'll never know how much influence they have on the direction of the shows bar a few snippets in interviews

But yeah a lot of people are making a lot of stuff, not all of it is going to be great. Maybe a little to focused on aiming to please people rather than making authentic art, it's Bowie's biggest nightmare where things are just made for the churn...

To make this movie related I will say I could do with getting back on Netflix as they have the Studio Ghibli collection, or at least most of it but might be worth waiting for a new stranger things season before signing back up.

I was looking for a film tonight and saw the Elvis one flash up but the guy (actor not Elvis) irritates me so much. I could tolerate him in Dune but he's got a rather smug "Aren't I handsome" face that irks me.

Ideally what I'd like to do is erase my memory of "The Fifth Element" and be able to watch it again for the first time, I wonder if there's an app for that....

There was a report recently that the budget for the Bioshock film at Netflix is apparently quite small, I imagine it's going to be total rubbish, shame as I love those games.

Amazon pumped quite a bit into Fallout and Bethesda were very involved, some may think that's a bad thing but I loved it.

Sometimes a smaller budget can be better. Less money men getting involved.

I'd say that's an industry wide problem. Off the top of my head Netflix has produced / been involved in the making of Russian Doll, Dark, Love/Death/Sex/Robots, some really incredible TV imo. I also thoroughly enjoyed Stranger things and Umbrella Academy but they probably aren't quite as groundbreaking. People always have Breaking Bad up there but it didn't really grab me despite me liking the actors involved. Bojack Horseman also absolutely goated. The Netflix involved Black Mirror hasn't quite been as good but we'll never know how much influence they have on the direction of the shows bar a few snippets in interviews

But yeah a lot of people are making a lot of stuff, not all of it is going to be great. Maybe a little to focused on aiming to please people rather than making authentic art, it's Bowie's biggest nightmare where things are just made for the churn...

To make this movie related I will say I could do with getting back on Netflix as they have the Studio Ghibli collection, or at least most of it but might be worth waiting for a new stranger things season before signing back up.

I was looking for a film tonight and saw the Elvis one flash up but the guy (actor not Elvis) irritates me so much. I could tolerate him in Dune but he's got a rather smug "Aren't I handsome" face that irks me.

Ideally what I'd like to do is erase my memory of "The Fifth Element" and be able to watch it again for the first time, I wonder if there's an app for that....
You ever seen love and monsters on Netflix, or Ak vs Ak if your happy with Bollywood. Both brilliant and genuinely under rated

Ohhhh good was it? I need to get out and see it before travelling next week

Definitely worth a watch in the cinema.

You know what you are going to get with an Alien movie from Álvarez, it delivers.

I listened to a fan podcast moan about it after their first viewing, basically because it’s not as good as the first two, that’s an unrealistic expectation imo, I’m done with that whiny podcast.

I’ll probably go and see it again next weekend.

Definitely worth a watch in the cinema.

You know what you are going to get with an Alien movie from Álvarez, it delivers.

I listened to a fan podcast moan about it after their first viewing, basically because it’s not as good as the first two, that’s an unrealistic expectation imo, I’m done with that whiny podcast.

I’ll probably go and see it again next weekend.
Yeh I'm not expecting it to be the first two, so that's a win straight away

Just been to see Alien Romulus
Wow
What a film
A real
Homage to the originals but still unique in itself

Was good fun in IMAX but thought that the “Get away from her” sequence was a bit on the nose and still not keen on that black goo malarkey introduce in Prometheus, preferred when the alien and space jockey backstory remained a mystery.

Back