• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

I watched Strawberry Mansion last night for the first time. It won't be for everybody but it's amazing how a film can seem nostalgic despite you not having seen it before as well as it coming off as fresh simultaneously. Something ironic about watching an anti advert culture movie on prime who have just enforced adverts unless you want to pay for the elite version of prime. There are new movies being made by creative directors but they don't tend to fall in to your lap. I always bang on about wanting to sign up to mubi to have a bit more if a nuanced collection available.

I don't think Marvel will ever come close to the build up to endgame but it'd have to go horribly wrong for them to call it quits. No matter how bad it gets it'll still have been a hell of an achievement. Some bad luck with actors / controversy alongside the idea that if you happen to have a female / black / gay protagonist it's suddenly woke propaganda and is too political for people that don't want to think or see anyone different to themselves.

If true, getting the dude who played ironman to play Dr Doom seems a bit dumb if it's theoretically happening in the same universe. Still doesn't seem to be going any better on the DC side of things especially in terms of controversy but we'll always have Sin City, Dredd, V for Vendett, Watchmen etc

Marvel/DC or any franchise are entertainment, I can enjoy them or not.
Never having read any of the comics I don’t have any emotional ties to the characters or visions of how they should be, makes no difference to me who plays them.
I'm a big fan of LOTR as a book, not so much of the films mainly because a lot of the characters are not how I imagined them as I read the books.
The book is almost always better than the movie because the movie is someone else interpretation of the book.

Last edited:
Never having read any of the comics I don’t have any emotional ties to the characters or visions of how they should be, makes no difference to me who plays them.
I'm a big fan of LOTR as a book, not so much of the films mainly because a lot of the characters are not how I imagined them as I read the books.
The book is almost always better than the movie because the movie is someone else interpretation of the book.

Used to get annoyed about hollywood messing with ip's i loved. Felt that if the original ip was popular enough to make a film out of. Maybe stay true to the original.

Now i just don't care anymore. Do what you want. If i want to watch it i will. If not i won't. Still feel it's a missed opportunity, also arrogance on the modern day film makers/writers that they think they can do better. But that's the way of things.

Yeh spot on

Issue for me, not being a Marvel or DC head but having liked Batman's and Spidermans etc I just think I would need a road map to make sense of who is who and what is what.

I'm intrigued to know what Tarrantino has planned for his last film

I can't believe I didn't mention the Batmans in the roundup of good DC films, poor form. But yeah it seems pretty convoluted and nothing really means anything in a multiverse anyways so it's just a bit much.

As for Quentin, it'll prob just be 2 and a half hours of close ups of the feet of his favourite female actors - Why change a winning formula?

It was probably different for me having watched the films first and then reading the books afterwards, as those characters were already planted in my head. From what I recall Denethor was the main one who was done dirty in the films as he was an absolute lunatic.

As said by Lilbaz, it'll always be an interpretation of work if it's a film based on something. No problem with taking on something and taking it a different direction as long as there's a point and it isn't just an attempted cashgrab...

It was probably different for me having watched the films first and then reading the books afterwards, as those characters were already planted in my head. From what I recall Denethor was the main one who was done dirty in the films as he was an absolute lunatic.

As said by Lilbaz, it'll always be an interpretation of work if it's a film based on something. No problem with taking on something and taking it a different direction as long as there's a point and it isn't just an attempted cashgrab...

It can be a good film, but a bad adaptation, if that makes sense.

LOTR they take massive liberties with film, the Arwen story arc really annoys me, the death of saruman takes away a big part of the meaning of the book but I think my biggest bug bear is how they totally down play eowyn part in the slaying of the Nazgul.

Strangely the hobbit films go even further but for me they are very enjoyable because they are more in keeping with the spirit of the book.

It can be a good film, but a bad adaptation, if that makes sense.

LOTR they take massive liberties with film, the Arwen story arc really annoys me, the death of saruman takes away a big part of the meaning of the book but I think my biggest bug bear is how they totally down play eowyn part in the slaying of the Nazgul.

Strangely the hobbit films go even further but for me they are very enjoyable because they are more in keeping with the spirit of the book.

Agreed on the Hobbit taking more liberties. It was the kind of book even a kid could / would read in a day or two, turning it in to some massive 3 part epic still seems a bit odd and was maybe just trying to match the LOTR trilogy as a spectacle. And to me it's one thing for a film adaptation to leave out characters a la Tom Bombadill but to just crowbar in characters that weren't there like Legolas, in addition to that weird ass elf / dwarf / elf love triangle it just seemed a bit odd. Martin Freeman was a great casting choice but the whole look of the films being oversaturated and like a Disney adventure ride at times definitely put me off.

As you can probably tell I am still a bit salty about those films. The LOTR trilogy will always be in my heart though, helms deep at the cinema as a youngster was just incredible, that wonder / awe is nigh impossible to replicate.

Agreed on the Hobbit taking more liberties. It was the kind of book even a kid could / would read in a day or two, turning it in to some massive 3 part epic still seems a bit odd and was maybe just trying to match the LOTR trilogy as a spectacle. And to me it's one thing for a film adaptation to leave out characters a la Tom Bombadill but to just crowbar in characters that weren't there like Legolas, in addition to that weird ass elf / dwarf / elf love triangle it just seemed a bit odd. Martin Freeman was a great casting choice but the whole look of the films being oversaturated and like a Disney adventure ride at times definitely put me off.

As you can probably tell I am still a bit salty about those films. The LOTR trilogy will always be in my heart though, helms deep at the cinema as a youngster was just incredible, that wonder / awe is nigh impossible to replicate.
I can enjoy all the films, but for me they will never be as good as the books*.
I rewatch them probably every year or so, as a spectacle they're great, they are close enough to the books to at least be recognisable and that's good enough for me. Totally understand the attachment people can have, I'm the same with the original star wars.
If I don't like an adaptation then I don't have to rewatch it, should I choose to get hung up on it that's on me, it's only myself I'm bothering, pretty the cast and crew couldn't care less what I think. So why do that to yourself, let it go, move on.

* I do love a good sprawling epic of a book, LOTR, the stand, winds of war, shogun, gone with the wind etc.

SO I was massively excited for the new Alien film HOWEVER it now turns out that the story is set between Alien and Aliens so th enatural conclusion I was expecting from Covenant to Alien is unlikely to happen, which begs the question why was there Prometheus to Covenant only for that story to not get continued

SO I was massively excited for the new Alien film HOWEVER it now turns out that the story is set between Alien and Aliens so th enatural conclusion I was expecting from Covenant to Alien is unlikely to happen, which begs the question why was there Prometheus to Covenant only for that story to not get continued

Didn’t make enough money?

Didn’t make enough money?

Quiet possibly I mean they doubled their outlay but thats not great in the modern world of film

They could have made this bumper action packed version within the timeline IMO, I think there was an exciting part to be told in the story arc. I like the trailers from what I have seen though so as a standalone film I am sure its going to be decent

1723625831464.png

Such a sh1tter because as a fan I would love to see the arc complete, but I also suspect they may have fcuked the storyline and they can't do that either because the original Alien where they discover the ship, in my mind, can't work for how the last prequal ended IMO. The ship found in Alien resembles the ship found in Prometheus makes sense but then they play out 9 years of the droid intervention, creation of the alien and then the hijacking of an entire colonization ship which for me does not stack up to how they found the ship in Alien. Anyway its the one film I truly geek out on

Such a sh1tter because as a fan I would love to see the arc complete, but I also suspect they may have fcuked the storyline and they can't do that either because the original Alien where they discover the ship, in my mind, can't work for how the last prequal ended IMO. The ship found in Alien resembles the ship found in Prometheus makes sense but then they play out 9 years of the droid intervention, creation of the alien and then the hijacking of an entire colonization ship which for me does not stack up to how they found the ship in Alien. Anyway its the one film I truly geek out on
I'm with you on it, I love the films so much but it's a mess

Alien and Aliens were great, the others had moments but nowhere near as good.
Slightly off topic and there is a tv thread but as with the 'Fallout' series I would love a film or series based on 'Bioshock'.

Slightly off topic and there is a tv thread but as with the 'Fallout' series I would love a film or series based on 'Bioshock'.

Netflix are working on something for Bioshock. It will no doubt be half arsed and not very good.

I thought the two prequals were very well shot and decent premise, I think they over complicated them though. Agree the first two stand out massively though.

I enjoyed Fallout

Back