• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

Saw Indiana Jones last night. Was 20 mins too long but overall I enjoyed it. The CGI that made Ford look younger was a bit hit and miss, excellent in places but not so good at other times.

Also watched Confess Fletch on Sky. Entertaining and funny film.

I was listening to Kermode this week and he said it's ridiculous but in fairness the others are equally as far fetched with things like the Knight in Last Crus and The end of Raiders.

It all feels like it's gone on too long now but good that Ford gets his ending as he made the whole thing what it is.

Major talk that Waller Bridge is going to become a female Indy

Confess Fletch is decent, I think Jon Hamn is superb, he was simply brilliant in Mad Men

I was listening to Kermode this week and he said it's ridiculous but in fairness the others are equally as far fetched with things like the Knight in Last Crus and The end of Raiders.

It all feels like it's gone on too long now but good that Ford gets his ending as he made the whole thing what it is.

Major talk that Waller Bridge is going to become a female Indy

Confess Fletch is decent, I think Jon Hamn is superb, he was simply brilliant in Mad Men

They’re a great series of films. Not all masterpieces by any stretch but they’re entertaining as hell! Watching the first one reminds me of the Indiana Jones stunt show in Disney World.

Phoebe Waller Bridge would be a good choice. Spin offs I’m ok with, just don’t turn Indy himself into a woman :D

They’re a great series of films. Not all masterpieces by any stretch but they’re entertaining as hell! Watching the first one reminds me of the Indiana Jones stunt show in Disney World.

Phoebe Waller Bridge would be a good choice. Spin offs I’m ok with, just don’t turn Indy himself into a woman :D

Yeh they are great Sunday afternoon watching.

Unlikely. It's doing badly at the box office.

Surprised at this

The latest installment in the Indiana Jones series, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, galloped its way to the top of the domestic box office but with an underwhelming cash haul of $60 million. For a film that was meant to play well with older audiences, this figure might be seen as reasonable, but considering the movie's colossal budget of $295 million excluding marketing, it's a far cry from what was needed. The shadow of the hat and whip will need to stretch much farther if the film is to break even in its cinematic run, let alone make a profit.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, which marks Harrison Ford's last portrayal of the iconic adventurer, fared no better internationally. It whipped up $70 million overseas, culminating in a global opening of $130 million.

Surprised at this

The latest installment in the Indiana Jones series, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, galloped its way to the top of the domestic box office but with an underwhelming cash haul of $60 million. For a film that was meant to play well with older audiences, this figure might be seen as reasonable, but considering the movie's colossal budget of $295 million excluding marketing, it's a far cry from what was needed. The shadow of the hat and whip will need to stretch much farther if the film is to break even in its cinematic run, let alone make a profit.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, which marks Harrison Ford's last portrayal of the iconic adventurer, fared no better internationally. It whipped up $70 million overseas, culminating in a global opening of $130 million.

Maybe the spoiler market has killed it slightly, seen loads of unprotected or warned spoilers about it, had some pretty tepid reviews. That along with people counting their pennies might all add up to poor performances

Maybe the spoiler market has killed it slightly, seen loads of unprotected or warned spoilers about it, had some pretty tepid reviews. That along with people counting their pennies might all add up to poor performances

Cost of living is a valid point and no doubt part of it but I reckon people are just tired of seeing once great franchises dragged through the mud with endless and unrequested sequels. Nothing is sacred anymore.

The likes of Marvel and Disney (particularly with Star Wars) are just hoping that people are such avid fans it doesn't matter if it's trash coming from the conveyor belt.

N.B I haven't actually seen the latest Indiana Jones film, maybe it's actually a rip roaring success elevating the series to new heights but the notion of CGI'ing an 80 year old to be an action hero doesn't inspire me to go watch it...

Cost of living is a valid point and no doubt part of it but I reckon people are just tired of seeing once great franchises dragged through the mud with endless and unrequested sequels. Nothing is sacred anymore.

The likes of Marvel and Disney (particularly with Star Wars) are just hoping that people are such avid fans it doesn't matter if it's trash coming from the conveyor belt.

N.B I haven't actually seen the latest Indiana Jones film, maybe it's actually a rip roaring success elevating the series to new heights but the notion of CGI'ing an 80 year old to be an action hero doesn't inspire me to go watch it...

Yeh I agree, I think the franchise is tired too......

People can get their film kicks elsewhere and the sentiment market will be age specific

Surprised at this

I’m waiting for it to be on Disney in a few months
Why waste baby sitting credits for it..

I’m waiting for it to be on Disney in a few months
Why waste baby sitting credits for it..

I think that’s a factor in why some of Disney’s films haven’t been doing so well since the pandemic. People know the film will be on Disney + in 2-4 months. Added to the fact that some of the films haven’t been great.

I think that’s a factor in why some of Disney’s films haven’t been doing so well since the pandemic. People know the film will be on Disney + in 2-4 months. Added to the fact that some of the films haven’t been great.

Yet they are also quitting disney plus in droves. 4 million in the first quarter quit.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonifitzgerald/2023/05/10/record-decline-why-disney-lost-another-4-million-subscribers/#:~:text=Indeed, all the losses could,to Netflix NFLX +3.1% .

So this leads me to a question, what would people say is the best combo of streaming services to have?

I had Paramount but once I flew through Tulsa King and The Offer it was slim pickings, Sky is absolute garbage, Netflix seems really thin on the ground now so I think that will be going, yet to try Disney or others??

So this leads me to a question, what would people say is the best combo of streaming services to have?

I had Paramount but once I flew through Tulsa King and The Offer it was slim pickings, Sky is absolute garbage, Netflix seems really thin on the ground now so I think that will be going, yet to try Disney or others??
Think you do a month or so of each service, exhaust it and move on? Got good value out of Now (Sky Atlantic) though, had that the longest. I'd say you can normally find a movie on Netflix, anything else has been slim pickings.

Think you do a month or so of each service, exhaust it and move on? Got good value out of Now (Sky Atlantic) though, had that the longest. I'd say you can normally find a movie on Netflix, anything else has been slim pickings.

yeh my Sky package includes Atlantic and I agree there. Have worked through the Wire and now trying the Rookie which is good easy watching

I have ….
Amazon Prime (with Discovery and Paramount(I think))
Disney +
Apple TV
Netflix
Bt Sport
Sky (but not the movies)

And the one I watch the most is Amazon Prime followed by BT Sport and then Netflix

Just stream online. Don't sign up to any.

Disney is the best in my opinion followed by Apple. Netflix is all about quantity over quality. I have Prime but seldom watch it.

HBO is still king IMO, most of their shows are on Sky Atlantic or Sky Comedy.

Back