• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

Top Gun was watchable and I enjoyed it, very well filmed but it was more of a Tom Cruise passion and ego project than it was a top top Oscars film. His acting was cheesy and the plot was cliché ridden for those that enjoyed the first. The American Football scene and the Great Balls of fire were more than simple easter eggs

Did old big nose win an Oscar?

Top Gun was just really good fun, fairly progressive about things like gender and age in a genre that generally isn't, and it also arguably saved cinema in terms of being the film that first brought mass audiences back post-Covid.

Pinocchio won best animation. But animations never get allowed in for best film because there's no performances per se for the luvvies to fawn over.

Top Gun was just really good fun, fairly progressive about things like gender and age in a genre that generally isn't, and it also arguably saved cinema in terms of being the film that first brought mass audiences back post-Covid.

Pinocchio won best animation. But animations never get allowed in for best film because there's no performances per se for the luvvies to fawn over.

Of course, it is a decent franchise movie, but its not an Oscar winning best film in my opinion

Top Gun was watchable and I enjoyed it, very well filmed but it was more of a Tom Cruise passion and ego project than it was a top top Oscars film. His acting was cheesy and the plot was cliché ridden for those that enjoyed the first. The American Football scene and the Great Balls of fire were more than simple easter eggs

Did old big nose win an Oscar?

Could not disagree with you more, I thought Top Gun Maverick was absolutely brilliantly entertaining fare, so glad I saw it in the cinema.

I agree with everything you say re Top Gun, the only difference being I probably liked it more than you.

I liked it, it's just not an Oscar winner

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

Shouldn't the best film be the film you liked the most though? You have other awards, for director, acting, cinematography...

Didn't see many films that year but maverick was probably the best i saw.

Shouldn't the best film be the film you liked the most though? You have other awards, for director, acting, cinematography...

Of course from a personal POV I agree, anyone can believe what they like. I can see why it didn't win the Oscar though and ultimately why you would have to ask those on the panel who I assume voted for what they liked most.

For the record Banshees was my film of the year...

Of course from a personal POV I agree, anyone can believe what they like. I can see why it didn't win the Oscar though and ultimately why you would have to ask those on the panel who I assume voted for what they liked most.

For the record Banshees was my film of the year...

Ohh forgot banshees.

Isn't it members of the academy that vote? Over 3000 of them.

Mainstream films don't seem to win anymore. They used to. Whether that is the standard of mainstream films has fallen. Or a widening gap between the tastes of normal people and the "elite" i don't know. Probably a bit of both.

Ohh forgot banshees.

Isn't it members of the academy that vote? Over 3000 of them.

Mainstream films don't seem to win anymore. They used to. Whether that is the standard of mainstream films has fallen. Or a widening gap between the tastes of normal people and the "elite" i don't know. Probably a bit of both.
I used to have a fact sheet from the BFI on it, sure it was about 9000 members. At the time it was about 90% white membership with an average age in the 50s-60s, can't remember which. That probably tells its own story on the awards in some way

I used to have a fact sheet from the BFI on it, sure it was about 9000 members. At the time it was about 90% white membership with an average age in the 50s-60s, can't remember which. That probably tells its own story on the awards in some way

Actors in hollywood seem to match the population demographics these days. So the academy will change in time. Writors and directors are still lacking though. Probably because university demographics still favour white people. They are more likely to go.

And therein lies the rub, I did not expect Cruise to win best actor, however I think it was arguably my film of the year.

Back