• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

Agree a bit of both. Unfortunately there are a lot less mid budget films made these days (at least for cinema) by hollywood. There are blockbusters, arthouse films made to try and win an award, or low budget films.

If you want something with good story and acting that is enjoyable, you probably have to look at series on streaming services. Why spend a fortune going cinema when you can watch it at home?

A Man Called Otto is an excellent mid budget film. I take your point, may be that the cinema is for bigger budget spectacles like Avatar, Top Gun and James Bond and the smaller budget films go to streaming. But the big films have to stay on the big screen.

A Man Called Otto is an excellent mid budget film. I take your point, may be that the cinema is for bigger budget spectacles like Avatar, Top Gun and James Bond and the smaller budget films go to streaming. But the big films have to stay on the big screen.

Still room at the cinema for a few mid budget films. Not everyone has kids and would still enjoy going cinema. But they'll probably have far less number of screens and probably not make as much money. But yes the majority of screens will probably be for big bockbusters.

Still room at the cinema for a few mid budget films. Not everyone has kids and would still enjoy going cinema. But they'll probably have far less number of screens and probably not make as much money. But yes the majority of screens will probably be for big bockbusters.

Depends where you are. We have 3 independent cinemas here within a square mile that cover the art house/non-blockbuster market.

Some of the smaller chains with that focus are doing well. Light have 12 cinemas now, with 3 more being built. And Curzon have 17 and more in the pipeline.

Depends where you are. We have 3 independent cinemas here within a square mile that cover the art house/non-blockbuster market.

Some of the smaller chains with that focus are doing well. Light have 12 cinemas now, with 3 more being built. And Curzon have 17 and more in the pipeline.

Have an everyman near me. Was talking more the american market although i'm sure they have a few.

I always find it strange when people talk about the cinema being expensive. I appreciate it’s more expensive than watching something at home. But to me it’s also comparable to other types of two hour entertainment like going to the theatre, a gig, football match, meal out etc - and it’s generally much cheaper than them.

I always find it strange when people talk about the cinema being expensive. I appreciate it’s more expensive than watching something at home. But to me it’s also comparable to other types of two hour entertainment like going to the theatre, a gig, football match, meal out etc - and it’s generally much cheaper than them.

In terms of a time filler I agree but live entertainment is always going to be more expensive because of the nature of what it is, for example each football match is unique and you are paying for the talent on show

In terms of a time filler I agree but live entertainment is always going to be more expensive because of the nature of what it is, for example each football match is unique and you are paying for the talent on show

Yeah I’m not complaining or surprised about the price of those other things - I just think the cinema is really good value in terms of the experience I get out of it!

2 hours in the cinema popcorn and a drink is probably the same price as 2 hours in a pub.

It felt like the cinema was getting expensive (relative to what it was before) but looking recently it (my local) appears to have bargain rates all of a sudden?

The theatre can be crazy money (I do love it though). I went to Mary Poppins over Christmas and loads of tickets are £80+ and no concessions for the grommets.
There's a good 'theatre seat,' website where people that attended will show you location and view from their seats across a multitude of theatres. We sat in some £45 seats in the slips and it was like having a private box to ourselves. The view was great (and quick to get to the bar;)). The show was excellent btw, but I think it's ended now.

Again - plug for the indies, where you can get tickets between £4-7

Again - plug for the indies, where you can get tickets between £4-7

Tbf if you go most cinemas on a weekday in the afternoon you can get that price (or you could, not been for over a year). Or you could just walk to the counter buy popcorn and walk in, nobody checks. All half asleep.

Rather enjoyed Spielberg’s new film, The Fableman’s, but seems like a strange time of the year to release such a move and the screening I attended was barely a quarter full; in contrast to packed houses for The Menu and Babylon at same cinema last month.

Rather enjoyed Spielberg’s new film, The Fableman’s, but seems like a strange time of the year to release such a move and the screening I attended was barely a quarter full; in contrast to packed houses for The Menu and Babylon at same cinema last month.

After xmas, people feeling the pinch?

After xmas, people feeling the pinch?

That is probably a factor but seems like The Fablemans has been released at the wrong time of the year, as is the kind of family friendly film which typically gets cinematic run during school holidays (it was out for Thanksgiving weekend in USA) whilst less mainstream movies (like The Menu and Babylon) are what I tend to use my Odeon Limitless card for during January and February.

That is probably a factor but seems like The Fablemans has been released at the wrong time of the year, as is the kind of family friendly film which typically gets cinematic run during school holidays (it was out for Thanksgiving weekend in USA) whilst less mainstream movies (like The Menu and Babylon) are what I tend to use my Odeon Limitless card for during January and February.

All the Oscar bait films come out late-Dec to early-Feb time don't they.

What's funny is the ones that clearly tired to do this, then failed massively - like Witney Houston and Babylon this year.

Was listening to the Kermode podcast and he was spot on about The Fablemans not really appealing to anyone in particular which is why its a box office flop.

Watched Black Panther 2 on Disney, understandably nowhere near as good without Chadwick Boseman. Felt it was too long also. They established the world of Wakanda in the first film. A comic book film doesn’t need to be 2 hours 40 mins.

SPOLIER ALERT!!!!Also watched Knock at the Cabin. Good film but was expecting a twist at the end which never came. Dave Bautista is a good actor. The Rock is a much bigger star but Bautista is the better actor IMO. He’s done some good dramatic roles and he steals the show comedically in GOTG.

Last edited:
Watched Black Panther 2 on Disney, understandably nowhere near as good without Chadwick Boseman. Felt it was too long also. They established the world of Wakanda in the first film. A comic book film doesn’t need to be 2 hours 40 mins.

Also watched Knock at the Cabin. Good film but *************************. Dave Bautista is a good actor. The Rock is a much bigger star but Bautista is the better actor IMO. He’s done some good dramatic roles and he steals the show comedically in GOTG.
Thanks for that.

Last edited:
Back