• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

What we do in the shadows has a spin off Tv show that’s great
And the guy who wrote and directed it also does Thor… but the good stuff he has done is JoJo Rabbit
My mate loves Hunt for the Wilderpeople which he also did but I couldn’t get into it
My top 3 Waititis are:
1) Hunt For The Wilderpeople
2) Boy
3) What We Do In The Shadows

I love Eagle vs Shark and Our Flag Means Death too though.

You forgot Tom Cruise having a crisis of confidence and he can’t make roostertails/drive fast cars/fly jets anymore then he meets a good looking girl who helps him become a better roostertail maker/car driver/jet flyer.

Hahahaha love those analogies of Cruise and his films because they are spot on. Strange little bloke

When I went to New Zealand, I got advised to watch both Boy and Once Were Warriors as introductions to the more real side of the culture there.

Probably not the case now but it was NZ's biggest film ever at one point.

I think it's still his best work as an actor, director and writer.

Rewatched Planes, Trains and Automobiles yesterday, what a fudging film. Hilarious, frustrating and sentimental in perfect measures

Incredible chemistry between Steve Martin and John Candy (RIP) and it's dated very well especially considering how public transport is and has been for however long, in the UK at least.

Rewatched Planes, Trains and Automobiles yesterday, what a fudging film. Hilarious, frustrating and sentimental in perfect measures

Incredible chemistry between Steve Martin and John Candy (RIP) and it's dated very well especially considering how public transport is and has been for however long, in the UK at least.
Years ago I had to travel to Scotland on Christmas eve, family were already there. Early alarm didn't wake me, woke up late, threw yesterday's clothes on, no shower, drove to Luton at 100mph, but just missed the plane to Aberdeen by minutes. Only alternative was a flight to Inverness about 4 hours later, so I went and slept a bit in the car. When the plane landed in Inverness, I found that severe snow meant that all trains were cancelled. Cab was about £300, so I found a bus, but it wasn't leaving for another hour, then an over 3hr journey. Half way there, driver kept braking hard until he stopped and informed us that the bus had broken down, but not to worry as the replacement will be here in just over an hour.
At that point the Father-in-law called me to say they were thinking of me, because Planes, Trains and Automobiles was on the telly.

Years ago I had to travel to Scotland on Christmas eve, family were already there. Early alarm didn't wake me, woke up late, threw yesterday's clothes on, no shower, drove to Luton at 100mph, but just missed the plane to Aberdeen by minutes. Only alternative was a flight to Inverness about 4 hours later, so I went and slept a bit in the car. When the plane landed in Inverness, I found that severe snow meant that all trains were cancelled. Cab was about £300, so I found a bus, but it wasn't leaving for another hour, then an over 3hr journey. Half way there, driver kept braking hard until he stopped and informed us that the bus had broken down, but not to worry as the replacement will be here in just over an hour.
At that point the Father-in-law called me to say they were thinking of me, because Planes, Trains and Automobiles was on the telly.

That is simultaneously brilliant / awful and the reference to the film is essentially the cherry on top lol Hope you made it there eventually!

Seems a real trend now with biographical films on how companies were formed, Tetris and Nike coming out soon, I imagine they leave out the sweat shop side of the Nike story

Seems a real trend now with biographical films on how companies were formed, Tetris and Nike coming out soon, I imagine they leave out the sweat shop side of the Nike story

Isn't it all about the Air Jordan's and not about Nike as a company? I saw a trailer for it and tbh it looks like a total fudging joke of a movie.

I know they're a big thing in the... sneaker community but fudge me, 90-120 mins about how a trainer was made, drop me out.

My music teacher in school was in a band that was on the OST for that film, he used to fudge off and tour the States in the summer holidays, think he got a half decent royalties out of it too.

Do love that film.

Can’t beat those 80s, early 90s comedies with PTaA the top of the pile. What About Bob is another of my favourites from then.

So, The Whale. Just the images of it seem ridiculous to me. Isn't fatting up like that just a new blacking up? I like Brendan Fraser usually.

This post coloured me intrigued and has been playing on my mind since although I still haven't seen the film in question.

Christian Bale played a very skinny character in the Machinist but did it by putting himself at risk, and did the opposite by playing an obese character (again at risk) in vice. Does that make it okay because he was genuinely skinny and fat at the time of filming? If anything isn't that worse because the actor damaged themselves by going to extremes on both ends of the weight spectrum?

I think I find the likening of blacking up to putting on a fat suit rather offensive, fat people make choices on the daily that make themselves fat. Blacking up is wrong for reasons beyond just pretending to be something one isn't, like in the case of putting on a fat suit.

This post coloured me intrigued and has been playing on my mind since although I still haven't seen the film in question.

Christian Bale played a very skinny character in the Machinist but did it by putting himself at risk, and did the opposite by playing an obese character (again at risk) in vice. Does that make it okay because he was genuinely skinny and fat at the time of filming? If anything isn't that worse because the actor damaged themselves by going to extremes on both ends of the weight spectrum?

I think I find the likening of blacking up to putting on a fat suit rather offensive, fat people make choices on the daily that make themselves fat. Blacking up is wrong for reasons beyond just pretending to be something one isn't, like in the case of putting on a fat suit.

TBH I felt similar, the idea an actor fatting up for a fictional role is likened to blacking up was lost on me but I didn't wanna deep dive on it. I wait with baited breath

Back