• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

Eddie Redmayne has made public apologies for doing exactly that re the Danish Girl
Not for exactly that.
The issue with Redmayne and The Danish Girl was that he was playing a trans woman. Not a gay man.
And the recent outrage that has weaponised the trans stuff was turned on him for taking that role so he then apologised.
For no reason really. He's an actor. The Hoffman-Olivier exchange comes to mind.

Just another utterly pathetic turn the world has made where somebody always has to apologise for something

It’s also impractical. What if an actor was gay but wanted their sexuality to remain private? They’d have to come out in order to get the role. Someone could just lie about it and pretend to be gay or bisexual. How on Earth would you verify it?

It’s also impractical. What if an actor was gay but wanted their sexuality to remain private? They’d have to come out in order to get the role. Someone could just lie about it and pretend to be gay or bisexual. How on Earth would you verify it?

Nowadays an actor could just identify as gay, straight, female, Korean, dog, whatever and who are the casting agents to disagree with their personal expression of identity?

Not for exactly that.
The issue with Redmayne and The Danish Girl was that he was playing a trans woman. Not a gay man.
And the recent outrage that has weaponised the trans stuff was turned on him for taking that role so he then apologised.
For no reason really. He's an actor. The Hoffman-Olivier exchange comes to mind.

Indeed. Where do we draw the line? Anthony Hopkins played a man who suffers from dementia in The Father. Speaking from someone who has a close family member who suffers with the disease, it was an incredible performance! I felt like I was watching my life played out on film. He absolutely nailed it! That’s one reason why we watch films, to marvel at great actors playing parts like that despite not suffering from affliction or disease of the part they are playing.

He shouldn’t have to. It’s ridiculous. No one would complain if Ian McKellan played a straight role nor should they. It’s called acting.

Anyone seen Matt Bomer as Neal Caffrey in White Collar? Matt is gay and played one of the 2 main male leads, both of whom are straight in the show. The fact that I found out in season 2 that was Matt was gay was irrelevant. What was relevant was the excellent portray of Neal Caffrey in the show. The show ran for 6 seasons.

Has anyone seen Echo 3?

The fact that Luke Evans is gay and playing a straight man is irrelevant

Just seen The Fabelmans. Really, really enjoyed it. If you’re a fan of Spielberg like me then you’ll like it. Essentially it’s a semi-autobiographical story of his young life and his love of movies.

Anyone seen Matt Bomer as Neal Caffrey in White Collar? Matt is gay and played one of the 2 main male leads, both of whom are straight in the show. The fact that I found out in season 2 that was Matt was gay was irrelevant. What was relevant was the excellent portray of Neal Caffrey in the show. The show ran for 6 seasons.

Has anyone seen Echo 3?

Neil Patrick Harris plays a serial womaniser in How I Met Your Mother. He’s openly gay. His sexuality makes no difference to his ability to play the role.

Doesn’t surprise me. Hollywood has been out of touch for years when it comes to what mainstream film fans watch. The ratings for the Oscars are always higher when there’s a big box office smash like Titanic or Avatar that is nominated for Best Picture. There is a certain formula to most of the films that get nominated that don’t play well with the public at large. They also love to nominate films about the film industry like The Fabelmans, La La Land, Marriage Story etc that haven’t done that well at the box office. All good films btw, but they don’t make much money in general.

Doesn’t surprise me. Hollywood has been out of touch for years when it comes to what mainstream film fans watch. The ratings for the Oscars are always higher when there’s a big box office smash like Titanic or Avatar that is nominated for Best Picture. There is a certain formula to most of the films that get nominated that don’t play well with the public at large. They also love to nominate films about the film industry like The Fabelmans, La La Land, Marriage Story etc that haven’t done that well at the box office.

Or it says something about the cinema going audience. That they care far more about sfx (super heroes andgiant robots) than a good story and acting. Largely due to it being aimed at families, doubt many parents take their kids to watch an art house film.

Or it says something about the cinema going audience. That they care far more about sfx (super heroes andgiant robots) than a good story and acting. Largely due to it being aimed at families, doubt many parents take their kids to watch an art house film.
Was about to suggest the same, a box office hit is less likely to be original in nature due to the franchise / sequel/ reboot / remake era we lie live in now.

Probably a bit of both then. Clearly a disconnect between the academy and the movie going public at large. I don’t mind an arthouse film, for example in a previous post I mentioned I really enjoyed the Fabelmans. Just think they need to recognise more popcorn films like Top Gun: Maverick. Spider-Man: No Way Home was the biggest film of 2021 by a long way and was totally snubbed at the Oscars.

Probably a bit of both then. Clearly a disconnect between the academy and the movie going public at large. I don’t mind an arthouse film, for example in a previous post I mentioned I really enjoyed the Fabelmans. Just think they need to recognise more popcorn films like Top Gun: Maverick. Spider-Man: No Way Home was the biggest film of 2021 by a long way and was totally snubbed at the Oscars.

Agree a bit of both. Unfortunately there are a lot less mid budget films made these days (at least for cinema) by hollywood. There are blockbusters, arthouse films made to try and win an award, or low budget films.

If you want something with good story and acting that is enjoyable, you probably have to look at series on streaming services. Why spend a fortune going cinema when you can watch it at home?

There is a degree of snobbery without a doubt, that said I think I would imagine without looking that Top Gun is in a few categories for its editing of cinematography/visuals which is where the films strongest, its never going to win best actors, actresses or supporting because its probably the weakest part of the films.

Wouldn't say oscar films are really art house films. Art house films are generally not american. Oscar films are almost a genre of themselves. Just naval gazing nonsense for industry luvvies

Has anyone seen Echo 3?

It’s a good programme by the way, Echo 3
I do think Luke playing Gaston in Beaty and the Beast was wrong as he isn’t French

I assume that was you being sarcastic, otherwise you be implying that Idris Elba playing Stringer Bell in the Wire was wrong. And that all the Brits in Hollywood for instance are stealing a living :D

Not just brits, loads of aussies too. Eva green plays such a good english woman.

Back