• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

Yep, unfortunately it's usually one touch and then straight to the opposition. For a big tall strong forward his hold up play is bloody terrible. Certainly not the answer for us if we are playing 4-5-1.

I Agree.

Some days he is exceptional, can hold the ball up, lay it off and bring others into the game, sadly Pavlyuchenko used to have a game like that sometimes. Most of the time though his touch is diabolical and loses the ball more of then than not.

This makes rather interesting reading...

A0454.jpg

A0453.jpg

I may be wrong here but i am sure i saw a stat last season that he has never completed 90 mins for England, he has either come on as a sub or been substituted.

According to the stats above he has played a average of only 40 mins per game, so maybe its right.

I may be wrong here but i am sure i saw a stat last season that he has never completed 90 mins for England, he has either come on as a sub or been substituted.

According to the stats above he has played a average of only 40 mins per game, so maybe its right.

Yes, Defoe has yet to play the full 90 minutes for England.

The longest time he was on the pitch for was 87 minutes when he scored a hat-trick against Bulgaria in a 4-0 win on 3rd September 2010 at Wembley.

I'm yet to be convinced that Defoe is good enough tbh. He scores goals yes, but the problem is that he does nothing else. This is all my opinion, but I don't think he really sees the game intelligently enough. He will be upset if he scores a goal and then gets benched, because scoring a goal is the only thing he sees as meritable for himself I think.

I'm yet to be convinced that Defoe is good enough tbh. He scores goals yes, but the problem is that he does nothing else. This is all my opinion, but I don't think he really sees the game intelligently enough. He will be upset if he scores a goal and then gets benched, because scoring a goal is the only thing he sees as meritable for himself I think.

As games are usually decided by the number of goals scored, I'd say that the ability to score them (and score them with remarkable consistency in Defoe's case) is a rather important factor in a player.

The longest time he was on the pitch for was 87 minutes when he scored a hat-trick against Bulgaria in a 4-0 win on 3rd September 2010 at Wembley.

To be fair, he did get injured during that match otherwise he probably would have stayed on.

As games are usually decided by the number of goals scored, I'd say that the ability to score them (and score them with remarkable consistency in Defoe's case) is a rather important factor in a player.

Whilst agreeing in principle the day JD scores the first against Utd away instead of the third against a tinkle poor international side will decide it for me, also for a self confessed "poacher" he does not get in the six yard box enough.

Last edited:

Thought so, the best English striker we have.

Exactly and when you look at the opposition you can see how far our national side has regressed, we need to limit overseas players.

Well English players have always been overated, lets be honest how many of the ( so called) Golden generation were really world class, as the media were always banging on about.

Lampard, in a very specific role, is the best there is.

Gerrard was world class for a whole season, never before, never since.

Ferdinand would have been but for injuries IMHO.

Terry? Never.

Owen for a time was incredible, not sure if world class, but he could have been if not for injuries.

Beckham its hard to call. World class at set pieces? Yes. World class professional attitude? Yes. World class player? Honestly I dont think so.

I'd agree the England players are often overrated, but Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand, Terry, Beckham, Cole, Rooney and Scholes have all won the Champions League and been on contention a number of time; they were all important players for their sides, not just bit part players. The managers have to take responsibility for not getting better performances out of them. I'm not saying they should have won anything and the quarter-finals is around par, but they often went out with a whimper while playing poorly.

The common malaise seems to be picking the players and trying to find a way to play them together. The whole Gerrard-Lampard, particularly under Sven, debate sums it up. Either you accept that Gerrard is too undisciplined and build the side around him or pick the more disciplined Lampard. Or neither and play Scholes where he is best. Too often the same players were picked when playing poorly or when not fully fit. None of the England managers would make the tough decisions. For a while it looked like Capello would, but he soon reverted to the McSven mould.

Exactly and when you look at the opposition you can see how far our national side has regressed, we need to limit overseas players.

Actually what you probably need is more English players to play overseas, get exposed to different styles, more tactical/technical games, also get the space to do things they would not develop in the pace of the PL.

If you had 5 or 6 players that spent time in the Spanish or Italian leagues, the national team would probably be a lot more comfortable in possession.

Back