• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T The England Thread

Except for Walker I don't think any of the players in our team playing in the England friendly were going to start in the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game anyway

Well Defoe might well do if we dont sign a CF in the next few days. He might still do if any CF signed is someone other than Adebayor as they'll need to integrate into the squad.

Livermore has a good chance of starting given that Modric and Parker wont play. Its 2 from Thudd, Sandro, Jenas and Livermore. The last 2 I dont rate - just have to hope Thudd is fit. Found it odd that he didnt start v Valencia in order to get more match time....hopefully not a signal that Jenas is ahead of him

Caulker is probably the least likely to start

you just KNOW Defoe will get 5 minutes on the pitch and get injured leaving us with Harry Kane up top on his own for Saudi Sportswashing Machine..

It almost looks like he wants to take the England team forward, except Carrick and Lampard make the team. Have some balls Roy and ditch all the has-beens.

you just KNOW Defoe will get 5 minutes on the pitch and get injured leaving us with Harry Kane up top on his own for Saudi Sportswashing Machine..

If you go back 6-12 months everyone wanted Kane to be more involved in teh first team!

I actually think he might do ok going fowards as he actually has a decent touch and core footballing skills. Its just that he doesnt have pace and only young so doesnt have strength - makes it more difficult to make his mark. To me he has a lot of similar attributes/characteristics that Teddy had and I could see him playing a similar sort of position/role in his career. He does also seem to have decent positional sense/awareness in that he gets a lot of goals from being in the right place at the right time

=D> to Livermore and Caulker.

Jake in particular has proved a hell of a lot of people wrong with his contribution to last season, hopefully he can maintain and improve upon that, great to see him get some recognition by getting picked for the England squad.

It almost looks like he wants to take the England team forward, except Carrick and Lampard make the team. Have some balls Roy and ditch all the has-beens.

Sadly he's not ditching anyone, apart from Rio. Key Euro players like Terry, Cole, Lescott, Cole, Gerrard and Rooney are being rested, as would Parker if fit.

I'm always pleased to see Spurs players in the England squad, but come off it, Livermore shouldn't be anywhere near it. I really like the fact Livermore was given chances at Spurs, in favour of more talented players (like Gio etc), simply because he has the right attitude and over the long term, I think this benefits the club as a whole, as it shows to young players that, discipline, hard work and professionalism are the key to success. It creates an ethos that long term is far more important than simply picking the most talented players. But even so, I don't see a long term future for Livermore at Spurs and can't see how he's done enough to get a chance for England.

People really have it out for Jake, there is a reason Jake gets a play.

He is a team player and follows instructions, he's not going to fix imbalances in team or control the midfield on his own, but does his part. There is a role for players like that in any team.

He is a team player and follows instructions, he's not going to fix imbalances in team or control the midfield on his own, but does his part. There is a role for players like that in any team.

I agree, there is a role for people like that. But it is very strange that a limited squad player who has never been anything more than a bit part player used when you have 4 injuries in his position is getting an England call up.

Im not saying he wouldnt get more minutes at other clubs, but it is hardly England form. He isn't anywhere near the level of Hudd and Jenas and they have struggled for call ups in recent years...

Exactly. Doing his part, following instructions, getting up and down the pitch. He's can be our Seydou Keita.

I think nearly everyone would agree that if it was just a matter of picking the best XI or 23 players or best 4 to 8 midfielders, Livermore wouldn't be in there.

Hodgson likes his teams to keep shape and certain players to fulfil defined roles. How many other options for a defensive-minded central midfielder do England have? With players injured and rested, the central midfield choice is fairly limited and Hodgson gets to look at a player who might have a future in training. After my initial surprise of the selection, I think I understand it now.

probably the most interesting england squad for a long time. jake must be over the moon and caulker. can't see jake even playing that much for spurs this season but hey he is homegrown so good luck to him. caulker looks to be the real deal. i hope that AVB plays him

The massive problem with Livermore is that he has no outstanding features. I like the guy and will support him for as long as he goes because he is spurs through and through, but he isnt good enough for our first team, and i can understand the questioning over his England call up.

He is however, a great squad player. Hope im proven wrong, but cant see him being any more than that.

As long as they don't get injured on duty, I can see no negatives for our younger players like Caulker and Livermore gaining international experience and the confidence boost that arises from a call-up.

Having this break the last week in pre season is ridiculous, but apparently FIFA are considering removing it from 2014.

Back