• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

The truth is out there if you look at the right journos. And most of the ones interested in their reputation rather than click bait have been citing him as being the top or one of the top candidates.

Is ally gold one of the right journos? Because in his article when talking about the new manager he states that brendan has ruled himself out.

He doesnt make it clear
Re-reading it it could be the money needed to extract the guy from his current contract
That's my reading of it, and why I'm thinking ETH.
Ajax triggered that extension so it will earn them more.
We've spoken ETH, "walked away", maybe once a deal had been agreed.
Now we just need to pay ajax.

If it's buying a manager out from his contract I'm not sure who would be considered 'expensive' in relation to anyone else?

Agreed. I think this could be Potter or ETH. Ajax with the new contract and Brighton because they will likely put up a fight.

It’s good though. Seems like we have a plan, we’re being decisive, and it feels like we’re going to do what is required to get the man we want.

If it's buying a manager out from his contract I'm not sure who would be considered 'expensive' in relation to anyone else?

Depends. Ten Hag would be about 10m, I think - not 7-8m as has been suggested, because of the pay bump he got when they activated that extension. That puts him in the same range as Potter, as per @Bedfordspurs .

Other candidates include Christophe Galtier, Oliver Glasner, Julen Lopetegui...maybe Marcelino.

Three candidates that have been ruled out by Gold's article (because of the explicitly-stated bit about 'negotiating compensation with his current club', and because he specifies) are Martinez, Conte and Rangnick.

Conte, makes sense. Rangnick I'm sad about, although I'm still hoping we sign him as a DoF. Martinez, though...thank f*cking GHod he's not in the running.

And honestly, of the other three I mentioned, Glasner and Lopetegui are only in the running because of one good season (and in Glasner's case, some good work at LASK Linz). I would feel nervous with either of them.

If we can't get Poch back, and we can't get Marcelo Gallardo - Galtier or Ten Hag would do fine by me, although they are polar opposites in terms of tactics and playing styles. And then Potter, I suppose - although in his case, I would absolutely demand a DoF to run things and leave him to basically coach and nothing else.

Edit: I've just had a thought - it could also be Unai Emery. Christ, not sure how to feel about that. :p

Agreed. I think this could be Potter or ETH. Ajax with the new contract and Brighton because they will likely put up a fight.

It’s good though. Seems like we have a plan, we’re being decisive, and it feels like we’re going to do what is required to get the man we want.

Is who we want what we need though.
We wanted Jose.
I'd be happy with ETH, but who knows.

Depends. Ten Hag would be about 10m, I think - not 7-8m as has been suggested, because of the pay bump he got when they activated that extension. That puts him in the same range as Potter, as per @Bedfordspurs .

Other candidates include Christophe Galtier, Oliver Glasner, Julen Lopetegui...maybe Marcelino.

Three candidates that have been ruled out by Gold's article (because of the explicitly-stated bit about 'negotiating compensation with his current club', and because he specifies) are Martinez, Conte and Rangnick.

Conte, makes sense. Rangnick I'm sad about, although I'm still hoping we sign him as a DoF. Martinez, though...thank f*cking GHod he's not in the running.

And honestly, of the other three I mentioned, Glasner and Lopetegui are only in the running because of one good season (and in Glasner's case, some good work at LASK Linz). I would feel nervous with either of them.

If we can't get Poch back, and we can't get Marcelo Gallardo - Galtier or Ten Hag would do fine by me, although they are polar opposites in terms of tactics and playing styles. And then Potter, I suppose - although in his case, I would absolutely demand a DoF to run things and leave him to basically coach and nothing else.

Relief, can't be Martinez, I never thought of that.
I could kiss you!!!

We wanted Jose.

Agreed. Jose felt opportunistic, and it was more a hope rather than a well thought through appointment that he could do something he’d never done before.

This time, we’ve given ourselves time to think about it, the man is in work, so I’m hopeful that it’s a better appointment for us.

And frankly, the right man for us is always going to be someone with a progressive style that can coach younger players. As long as we are at this level in the food chain, that’s who it has to be. I would only add that the coach needs to be adaptable enough so that their system doesn’t fall apart if they fail to get a player they need.

I’m hoping it’s ETH, because he has at least worked with some of the best up and coming players in Europe, and has deep European experience. If it’s Potter I’ll back him, but I feel like if we’re pushing the boat out to pay comp, let’s get the most proven person possible.

We wanted Jose.
We need a coach first and foremost. That’s something that clearly wasn’t there under Jose
And we need a philosophy that ALL the players genuinely buy into
We had that under a Poch. I’m more convinced now that the greatest thing he achieved was unity between the club and the fans more than anything else.
That comes from having a recognisable, relevant style of play and also some sucking up to the fans
Any player that doesn’t want it be here gets sold. Even for a losss to clear the decks.
One thing I’ll credit arteta for is his bravery in doing that at Arsenal

He's the closest thing to official club media, he toes the line most days, they usually tell him "what isn't" vs. confirming what is

Why would rogers say he is staying at leicester 200%? That he loves it there. If he knew he's leaving in a week or two? He could have just said i'm not going to talk about other jobs at this time.

We need a coach first and foremost. That’s something that clearly wasn’t there under Jose
We had that under a Poch. I’m more convinced now that the greatest thing he achieved was unity between the club and the fans more than anything else.
That comes from having a recognisable, relevant style of play and also some sucking up to the fans
Any player that doesn’t want it be here gets sold. Even for a losss to clear the decks.

Yep, it’s even relatively smaller things like selling Townsend. Just booting players out occasionally reinforces the authority and increases the unity for the players that are still here and bought in. And no surprise it dissipated when we desperately tried to squeeze everything out of players who had gone.

We need to give the new guy the freedom to do the same, so they can stamp down their authority, and if any player decides they want to complain to The Athletic about training being too complicated / too boring, they can bugger off.

Tbf, although his failures this season are a genuinely hilarious joke, I am a teensy bit apprehensive of the guy. He's strung together some good results, and an excellent defensive record built on some absolute clowns like Xhaka, Holding and Bellerin. He also won the FA Cup last season and the Community Shield this season.

They're not all that far away from getting it right, I think. Here's hoping Kroenke insists they get nobody this summer and they stagnate / barrel backwards, like Levy kindly did for us in 2018.

But I agree - we need a massive clearout annd a new link between everyone at the club - players, fans, and those bald c*nts that own us. Poch did that - I don't think Levy realised how valuable Poch was in keeping the heat off of him by unifying everyone with his presence, charisma, belief, and simple decency.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, a lot of our best coaches haven't been the 'tactical' types, they've been the 'arm around the shoulder' types. Jol was an excellent motivator, Redknapp likewise, and then Poch.

Admittedly, Mourinho has ruined that continuity (like he ruined most things, tbh). But maybe that's the profile we need.

Tbf, although his failures this season are a genuinely hilarious joke, I am a teensy bit apprehensive of the guy. He's strung together some good results, and an excellent defensive record built on some absolute clowns like Xhaka, Holding and Bellerin. He also won the FA Cup last season and the Community Shield this season.

They're not all that far away from getting it right, I think. Here's hoping Kroenke insists they get nobody this summer and they stagnate / barrel backwards, like Levy kindly did for us in 2018.

But I agree - we need a massive clearout annd a new link between everyone at the club - players, fans, and those bald c*nts that own us. Poch did that - I don't think Levy realised how valuable Poch was in keeping the heat off of him by unifying everyone with his presence, charisma, belief, and simple decency.
I’ll get kicked for this but he has reminded me of Poch a lot ...
and their form since the NY is the 2nd best in the league

I’ll get kicked for this but he has reminded me of Poch a lot ...
and their form since the NY is the 2nd best in the league

I agree with you mate. I'm hopeful that they have a bad run of form to start with, sack him and then appoint someone like Martinez - the bullet we've (hopefully) dodged. :p

Back