• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
I don't know how much more evidence you need that some of these players don't work for *any* manager, mate. Not Poch, not Mourinho, not Nuno, not Mason, not Conte, not Stellini.

No one. No one can turn Eric Dier into a footballer. No one can make Ben Davies anything other than mediocre. No one can give Sanchez a brain or footballing skills. No one can make Lucas not run down blind alleyways. No one can make Sessegnon anything other than a shrinking violet. And so on.

If some bloke came in and proclaimed himself happy to work with our squad as it stands, I would instantly suspect their competence and even their sanity. Demanding major changes is a sign that they have their head screwed on right.

Interestingly though Poch had Dier, Davies and Sanchez performing to very high levels.

Dier was keeping Henderson out of England's midfield, Sanchez at one point was keeping Alderweireld out of the team on form, and Davies was pretty neck-a-neck with Rose

I think the concerns with Slot are not his approach, it's just that he's only tested in a really tinkle poor level league, with mostly really abysmal opponents.

He might be a Potter stepping up from Swansea to Brighton, but equally he might be a Nathan Jones going from Luton to Southampton.

Or he might be a Ten Haag, Ze Derbi, Thomas Frank

You are just naming management failures to suit your point....Carlo Ancelotti at Everton....there I have done it too, oh hang on he came with a huge rep and spent big money....

Point is there are absolutely no nailed on certainties on the job front, as I said before, the whole tinkle poor league for managers to be failures does not work as a rule as any other.

We all know you wanted Poch, I wanted Poch but lets not start churning silly agendas now

You are just naming management failures to suit your point....Carlo Ancelotti at Everton....there I have done it too, oh hang on he came with a huge rep and spent big money....

Point is there are absolutely no nailed on certainties on the job front, as I said before, the whole tinkle poor league for managers to be failures does not work as a rule as any other.

We all know you wanted Poch, I wanted Poch but lets not start churning silly agendas now
I predict this will fall on deaf ears!

I think the concerns with Slot are not his approach, it's just that he's only tested in a really tinkle poor level league, with mostly really abysmal opponents.

He might be a Potter stepping up from Swansea to Brighton, but equally he might be a Nathan Jones going from Luton to Southampton.
He's taken two average teams in that tinkle poor league and won it against a couple of teams with way more resources.
He's also been tested in Europe and done very well.

Is he the right appointment? I don't know, none of us will know until after a couple of years if he gets the job, but he does seem the type of upcoming manager that we should be looking at.

I'd just rather someone to some extent proven in a competitive top-level league.

Beyond Poch, De Zerbi and Gallardo would be my choices

But I'd also be ok with the likes of Emery or Lopetegui

He's taken two average teams in that tinkle poor league and won it against a couple of teams with way more resources.
He's also been tested in Europe and done very well.

Is he the right appointment? I don't know, none of us will know until after a couple of years if he gets the job, but he does seem the type of upcoming manager that we should be looking at.

Has he coached against teams that can defend? That's the big issue with the Dutch league - the defending is pub league standard. Colliding with organised defending will be a real culture shock for him; the same as it is for a lot of Dutch league forwards

He has done more than Poch did before we signed him
Has had managed in Europe and got the under dogs to a European final
He has also won a title against richer teams
These are facts by the way… not opinions

I'd just rather someone to some extent proven in a competitive top-level league.

Beyond Poch, De Zerbi and Gallardo would be my choices

But I'd also be ok with the likes of Emery or Lopetegui
But de Zerbi wasn’t proven in a top league was he? is he proven now after 6 months ?
Poch wasn’t proven in the way you think

He has done more than Poch did before we signed him
Has had managed in Europe and got the under dogs to a European final
He has also won a title against richer teams
These are facts by the way… not opinions

Poch had managed successful mid-table teams in the two best/toughest leagues in the world - Spain and England.

The Dutch league these days slots into the third tier - beneath Portugal and Turkey about level with Scotland

Has he coached against teams that can defend? That's the big issue with the Dutch league - the defending is pub league standard. Colliding with organised defending will be a real culture shock for him; the same as it is for a lot of Dutch league forwards
He came up against Italian teams in Europe, can they not defend?

But de Zerbi wasn’t proven in a top league was he? is he proven now after 6 months ?
Poch wasn’t proven in the way you think

He needs to maintain their current level for a whole season and most importantly deal with any key players leaving this summer before he can be considered anything really. Right now it's a gamble.

Had a listen to the most recent view from the lane -
Their view that if it is anyone from the list of De Zerbi, Amorim, Slot or Alonso then we would have done well.
I tend to agree.
It is a bit of a crap shoot and none of us really know how they are going to turn out
But an up and coming manager, with some interesting tactical and technical ideas, and some attacking football and lets see how it goes.

Someone who clearly believes literally everything they read.

And someone who would literally think that Levy was doing the right thing if he was found in the middle of our blazing stadium holding a set of matches and a can of petrol.

Nothing negative in the press about Levy is ever to be believed. Every journalist who reports it is wrong. Everyone who believes anything negative about him - despite any clear negative evidence in the public domain - is a fool.

Right you are.

Last edited:
And someone who would literally think that Levy was doing the right thing if he was found in the middle of our blazing stadium holding a set of matches and a can of petrol.

Nothing negative in the press about Levy is ever to be believed. Every journalist who reports it is wrong. Everyone who believes anything negative about him - despite any clear negative evidence in the public domain - is a fool.

Right you are.

Go on then, show us the articles you were referencing in your post.

Poch had managed successful mid-table teams in the two best/toughest leagues in the world - Spain and England.

The Dutch league these days slots into the third tier - beneath Portugal and Turkey about level with Scotland
His espanyol team were getting relegated. He left them bottom
I’d argue winning games in Europe is a bigger test than a home League

Last edited:
Back