• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
Most people would have a reality check running a half a billion dollar business, understanding responsibility to shareholders, having multi-year strategy and plans.
That's the easy bit. The hard bit is writing enic out on a bedsheet, sticking a gram up your nose, and standing on the street for an hour, because you read about it on twitter. Those who can't handle that level of commitment, sit behind their keyboards spreading the truth they've read on twitter.
"What did you do in the war against Enic grandad?" "Well I can tell you I wrote ten million words of abuse on the web." "Oooh you were an Internet keyboard warrior, I'm so proud of you grandad."

That's the easy bit. The hard bit is writing enic out on a bedsheet, sticking a gram up your nose, and standing on the street for an hour, because you read about it on twitter. Those who can't handle that level of commitment, sit behind their keyboards spreading the truth they've read on twitter.
"What did you do in the war against Enic grandad?" "Well I can tell you I wrote ten million words of abuse on the web." "Oooh you were an Internet keyboard warrior, I'm so proud of you grandad."

That was funny ..

I can't help thinking that Levy's reason to not re-hire Poch might be that deep down he's worried that in the event that things go wrong and it can be perceived as being because of a lack of investment or getting the wrong players, he won't be able to blame the manager. This will take the level of vitriol towards Levy and Enic to new levels - to a level where he probably couldn't wheel out the kind of words he's said in the press the last few days.

I'd like a manager who loves the club, loves the fans, and loves our history and the romance of the way our club has played football in the past. That doesn't mean we have to play like that (its a different world now to the 60s) but it does mean that they have a connection to the club's history.

I can't see anyone out there getting us to that place apart from Poch. And if we're not getting Poch, honestly we should be looking at totally different options than those in the press - we need people whose pedigree in our league is proven. Which to me would mean Potter, or Rodgers, not Slot or Kompany.

You acknowledge football is a lot more complex but then revert to thinking that there is some magic solution (and I'm not defending our club at this point, nor am I saying that we shouldn't improve all departments at the club)

- Brighton have not solved the issue, just like Leicester didn't 4 years ago, just like Pool didn't when they got VVD & Allison

Here is me being Nostradamus, Brighton will sell a few more players at huge profit this summer and one of two things will happen, 1. the replacements will not work out and they will revert to norm next season, 2. they will work out and the cycle will be extended another year, either way, within 2 years they will revert to norm, and within 5 they will be relegated.

There is no data I've seen that shows any club has perfected/solved recruitment over any true sample size of data (10+ years), it's always hit or miss, and the nature of that is some years you will have good hits bunched up and some years brick bunched up. We just remember our own fudge ups more than anyone else's, and clubs with huge amounts of money can afford bigger misses, and clubs with less ambition can afford to develop players more so take bigger chances on lower level players.
There's nothing 'magic' about striving to have the very best scouting, analytics and recruitment departments and having a football philosophy that runs throughout the club. In fact it is quite hard (and costly) to put that in place. There is however something distinctly not magic about treating that important aspect of the club with complete disdain and neglect and having an expectation to succeed.

The way I see it is that our fan base is now polar divided between...

Happy to have Levy and able live with the fact that means we haven't won a trophy in nearly 20 years...

Or

Blame Levy for the fact we haven't won a trophy in nearly 20 years.
It's divided, but the two groups are:

1. The group that will blame Levy if their dog got run over by a car.

2. The group that appreciates where we were when Levy took over and where we are now, understands that this is not the end of the process, and accepts the fact there will be fudge-ups along the way

Agree, my heart sinks when I read links to Enrique.

Hiring him would show that Levy hasn't learnt anything and still thinks a 'proven winner' type manager can get this this group of players over the line. They can't.

I hope that if we have a shocking end to the season and finish 8/9th (entirely possible) that might convince Levy that it's time to start again with a Slot, Kompany, De Zerbi type appointment. I won't hold my breath though.

The thing about Enrique is he's not exactly in the "proven winner" bracket. I doubt he's even considered as one of the top 15 managers. So if he is being considered, it's probably as a project manager. Which might make sense in a way in that you know you need a project manager, but you also want someone who commands respect from the off. And outside of Poch, Enrique may tick these boxes. That's my theory, anyway. But I would rather have Slot or Gallardo, even if it means it takes them a little longer to command the players' respect.

It's divided, but the two groups are:

1. The group that will blame Levy if their dog got run over by a car.

2. The group that appreciates where we were when Levy took over and where we are now, understands that this is not the end of the process, and accepts the fact there will be fudge-ups along the way

Yeah thats realistic.

1. People blame levy when it's clear and obvious what the managers need in terms of personnel or how he hires and fires them.

2. The group who think we will go bankrupt if he leaves and don't really need to win anything as long as the P/L looks the best.

The game is about glory not about spreadsheets.

The best sales for them will be those that have come through the youth team as they would be booked as a 100% profit. They will probably get £50m+ for Mason Mount this summer. Next year they’ll probably sell James for at least that…. And so on.
It doesn't matter where the players have come from, though. What matters is which players they sell. My point was that they may not be able to sell the ones they would like to sell and may have to sell ones that the manager may want to keep.

Yeah thats realistic.

1. People blame levy when it's clear and obvious what the managers need in terms of personnel or how he hires and fires them.

2. The group who think we will go bankrupt if he leaves and don't really need to win anything as long as the P/L looks the best.

Without spreadsheets there won't be any glory. If you lack a solid financial foundation, you won't win anything.

No we haven't been champions since 1961. We've never won the european cup either. But the closest we've been since 61 is under levy. So what does that say?
Well it does say something about how you see things and this club for starters. FFS we have not been champions since 1961 and you more or less have repeated what I said in my post...Oh but we're doing much better now under Levy but we still have not won a sausage. Its not just about Levy's rein, its about all of the time the Decades between as well that we have not acheived but you and others keep making excuses even when the club motto is saying lets go for it.Well I'm sorry
but I think there is something lacking at the club and I'm not the only one saying it. We have to find some passion and urgency. Arse fans joke they have won the League championship at WHL more than we have,,and they are right!
This club has to have a serious rethink although I have said this many times before,therefore those that have run this club
have fallen short and to repeat again I am not the only one saying this.

I love how some say we are doing it the right way without a sugar daddy etc which is fine ... but what way are we currently going? I think we have peaked under the stewardship of Danny. He won't change his strategy due to his lack of the understanding football with matters on the pitch.

We got the stadium and training ground now we need a chairman with a better strategy on the pitch.

It doesn't matter where the players have come from, though. What matters is which players they sell. My point was that they may not be able to sell the ones they would like to sell and may have to sell ones that the manager may want to keep.
It matters where they have come from because for FFP, which is what Chelsea will be concerned about assuming they feel the regulations will be enforced, the remaining asset value of the player would have to be set against the book value of the player (transfer fee paid minus the transfer fee paid divided by the initial length of contract given to the player).

So this summer selling (e.g.) Mount for £50m would be a better deal than selling (e.g) Enzo Fernandes for £100m. This is because Fernandez would still have a book value of £93 million this summer and therefore a £100m sale would only be booked as a £7m profit, whereas Mount would have a book value of zero and therefore allow Chelsea to book a £50m profit.

That is why I think we'll see Chelsea selling one of the players who have come through their academy in each of the next several summers. Mount this year, Gallagher next year, James the one after, etc.

Well it does say something about how you see things and this club for starters. FFS we have not been champions since 1961 and you more or less have repeated what I said in my post...Oh but we're doing much better now under Levy but we still have not won a sausage. Its not just about Levy's rein, its about all of the time the Decades between as well that we have not acheived but you and others keep making excuses even when the club motto is saying lets go for it.Well I'm sorry
but I think there is something lacking at the club and I'm not the only one saying it. We have to find some passion and urgency. Arse fans joke they have won the League championship at WHL more than we have,,and they are right!
This club has to have a serious rethink although I have said this many times before,therefore those that have run this club

that arsenal thing is nonsense, you don't win the league in one game

I love how some say we are doing it the right way without a sugar daddy etc which is fine ... but what way are we currently going? I think we have peaked under the stewardship of Danny. He won't change his strategy due to his lack of the understanding football with matters on the pitch.

We got the stadium and training ground now we need a chairman with a better strategy on the pitch.
I don’t think the chairman makes a jot of difference without more income
The only way we get that increase is a sugar daddy or more commercial revenue
You get the latter by being more popular which comes from success. We ain’t getting success without a plan and investment do it can become a viscous circle

Yeah thats realistic.

For the first part to work… we need the manager to get time to build his team
Conte signed a short contract so that was never gonna happen. Jose… well we know what happened there
But for that to happen too we need the fans to allow the manager to suffer the ups and downs and our fans haven’t been that tolerant since Poch have we….
It would help if we knew what the plan was to back it. That changes a lot of views as we can then align with the club, or not

Last edited:
Aston Villa, Sunderland, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Sheffield Wednesday, Wolves, Huddersfield. These teams have been champions more times than us. They should feel more entitled to winning a league title than us. But they're not, because they understand where they currently are in the pecking order. The only thing that is making us feel entitled is the fact that the current ownership has pulled us so far ahead of these clubs and consistently near the top, in spite of some missteps along the way. You're welcome.

For the frost part to work… we need the manager to get time to build his team
Conte signed a short contract so that was never gonna happen. Jose… well we know what happened there
But for that to happen too we need the fans to allow the manager to suffer the ups and downs and our fans haven’t been that tolerant since Poch have we….
It would help if we knew what the plan was to back it. That changes a lot of views as we can then align with the club, or not

Fans would be more forgiving, imo, with a manager who was here for a project - both Conte and Mourinho are short term managers and the knock-on effect of that is patience is naturally going to be limited.

Back