• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

In the still.
Why is Verts squared up (unless he is trying to hold a line) and not the other side of the player he is meant to be marking? Especially when he can see there is midfielder coming to help pick up the person with the ball?
Why hasn't Toby had a look behind him and seen that Rooney is in acres of space. If he drops off a bit towards Rooney, Rooney is less likely to be passed to or to control a pass and score.

So they are both at fault. Instead, they should have dropped off with their men and hoped the midfield would get to the ball carrier. Offside wasn't an option as Toby doesn't appear to know Rooney is there, although Verts may be trying to hold a line.

thank you.......lots of things were wrong wit that goal and im sure Poch will go through a full analysis with the midfield and defence to make sure we dont do that to ourselves again.

How can you fault Toby when it was he that was trying to stop Depay from crossing at the edge of our box?? If he had stuck with Rooney, Depay would have been free on goal because Verts was by then out of the picture; and Toby understood that.

Depay wasnt free on goal, he was running towards the right of the box. Yes fair play to Alderweireld for trying to stop Depay, but he didnt, Depay still got the ball across. All im saying is he would have been smarter to stick with Rooney ......

For me Bentaleb was most at fault (obviously) and then Vertonghen.

Dier immediately gets back at the player with the ball (Young I think) and points and shouts at Vertonghen to get back with Depay. Vertonghen ignores Dier and fronts up to Young, who simply flicks it to Memphis.

Toby A has to come across to stop Memphis because Vertonghen has been done like a kipper and taken out of the game. Thus Rooney is free.

It's funny how others can see it differently, people on here have blamed Dier which is absurd since Dier gets back and challenges Young, forcing him to pass, what more do you expect from a DM! And others criticising Toby A for leaving Rooney, when clearly he had to challenge Memphis who was through on goal. And others blaming Walker for getting back... just look at Ben Davies who was miles away from getting back, why criticise Walker when he has instructions to push up? He did brilliantly to get back and we'd be talking about one of the great tackles had he made it.

Dier immediately gets back at the player with the ball (Young I think) and points and shouts at Vertonghen to get back with Depay. Vertonghen ignores Dier and fronts up to Young, who simply flicks it to Memphis.

Toby A has to come across to stop Memphis because Vertonghen has been done like a kipper and taken out of the game. Thus Rooney is free.

It's funny how others can see it differently, people on here have blamed Dier which is absurd since Dier gets back and challenges Young, forcing him to pass, what more do you expect from a DM! And others criticising Toby A for leaving Rooney, when clearly he had to challenge Memphis who was through on goal. And others blaming Walker for getting back... just look at Ben Davies who was miles away from getting back, why criticise Walker when he has instructions to push up? He did brilliantly to get back and we'd be talking about one of the great tackles had he made it.
Spot on. This is the way I saw it. Easier to judge for us now. Vertonghen and co have a split second to adjust and make that call. The initial mistake was the big one. But it's crazy how open we are when we lose the ball in that position.
What was more alarming was how we lost confidence in similar positions (not just bentaleb) after the goal.

I think we are verging on over analysing the mistake. I think it is a bit harsh to expect other players to anticipate someone roostering up a pass. Yes that player has made similar mistakes before, but he has had more games where he has been rather good. Hopefully he will learn from it and our team will. I want them to hurt from this and anihilate our next opposition, because if we do play like this we will be hard to beat and our quality will show.

thank you.......lots of things were wrong wit that goal and im sure Poch will go through a full analysis with the midfield and defence to make sure we dont do that to ourselves again.

And this. THIS is all which needs to be said really. Bentaleb made the 'loud' mistake, the obvious one, but there was a systemic breakdown after that.
I think we have to be careful not to see things that are not there. Bentaleb was not "pressed" into mistakes today. He was just sloppy perhaps overawed by the game or just not match ready.

You'd have to watch it again, but Man U were efficient when it came to closing down him, Kane and to an extent, Eriksen. Eriksen had more space to operate than any of them, yet he didn't take full advantage. Bentaleb was playing as more of a 'prompt' from midfield and not a 'shield' thus look at when he had the ball, alleys shut down immediately around him and the lack of clever movement from Chadli after 20-odd minutes didn't help anything. In all honesty, I don't think we were too far from a rewarded performance yesterday, we just need more speed on the left and to be a bit less vulnerable to that sort of cheap giveaway. I am confident we will address those issues.

So firing squad or noose?? Has he decided on his last meal?

Indeed...personally speaking, it makes me sad, because Poch has a plan and it isn't short-term. However I think some of our supporters appear to lack the patience and greater spatial understanding of exactly what we are trying to do. A shame but I suppose the world is generally behaving like this...

I just look at his performances against Chelsea last year and if that's what he's going to move upwards from I'm happy. He's 20 not 30, these things he will learn to iron out and if he doesn't then he will be benched.

Fwiw I don't think it's irrational for @indianspur to say what he's saying - In fact it's totally logical, giving the ball away in the centre of the pitch doesn't equal a goal conceded and we had opportunities, as a team, to correct the mistake which we didn't take.

Fwiw I don't think it's irrational for @indianspur to say what he's saying - In fact it's totally logical, giving the ball away in the centre of the pitch doesn't equal a goal conceded and we had opportunities, as a team, to correct the mistake which we didn't take.

Careful. Logic and football knowledge in danger of breaking out...must re-adjust and throw knees at nearest solid object repeatedly and at speed to adjust.

I love Bentaleb's game but he were at fault for what is a simple basic pass to a team mate. Looking at the errors thereafter by his team mates behind him is okay, but there were no glaring mistakes by anyone else as far as I can see, unless getting caught on your heels (Vertonghen) for that split second is considered one? United capitalised on Bentaleb's error with speed and accuracy . Depay to Young, then Young to Rooney, who actually fcuked it up and Walker were desperately unlucky.

http://streamable.com/n6g6

Is something up with the lad behind the scenes? He looked shaky since the end of last season, imo: had an uncharacteristic strop in the post-season friendly in Australia, made some reckless challenges and gave the ball away against Madrid, and had a bad game yesterday. Technically, with a new contract signed and sealed and a regular first-team spot, he shouldn't have much to worry him on the footballing side of things: so is it something personal perhaps?
Thank you for bringing this up. People get so hung up on mistakes (myself included, given I too was critical of Bentaleb) that they forget there might be something else behind the scenes that is causing them. I still don't rate him, but I agree he's been worse than usual lately, so maybe it truly is something else.

I think what's important here is that most of us are all actually huge Bentaleb fans, and from what (little) I know of the guy, he is probably likely to be 100 times more pis$ed at himself than we are at him. This team just need to feel the love from the fans and know that we won't get on their back just because they make a mistake. When we get to a point with players where we start to moan and groan at every wrong decision they take, they quickly become players scared to do something different on the pitch. That's something we can't afford. We are Tottenham. It is woven into our fabric to have a team of players who want to express themselves.

He is a terrific talent, and if it means he needs a few games on the sidelines to get his head right then so be it. He will be a huge player in the future for us. He needs to address his weaknesses like anyone else and cutout the glaringly obvious mistakes that he's made.

I think what's important here is that most of us are all actually huge Bentaleb fans, and from what (little) I know of the guy, he is probably likely to be 100 times more pis$ed at himself than we are at him. This team just need to feel the love from the fans and know that we won't get on their back just because they make a mistake. When we get to a point with players where we start to moan and groan at every wrong decision they take, they quickly become players scared to do something different on the pitch. That's something we can't afford. We are Tottenham. It is woven into our fabric to have a team of players who want to express themselves.

He is a terrific talent, and if it means he needs a few games on the sidelines to get his head right then so be it. He will be a huge player in the future for us. He needs to address his weaknesses like anyone else and cutout the glaringly obvious mistakes that he's made.

Absolutely. The atmosphere at the Lane has to be vibrant, positive and one that the team feels is behind them rather than critical of them.

Thank you for bringing this up. People get so hung up on mistakes (myself included, given I too was critical of Bentaleb) that they forget there might be something else behind the scenes that is causing them. I still don't rate him, but I agree he's been worse than usual lately, so maybe it truly is something else.

Yeah, footballers are humans too, and we forget that far too often in our rush to consider them just cogs in the whole that is a football team. Myself included: I was immensely frustrated at Ade last season, until that whole episode where he revealed to the whole world that he'd considered suicide due to his family problems. That got me thinking an awful lot: this is a guy who has literally cradled a dying team-mate in his arms as the bus he was travelling in was being machine-gunned from all sides, and has had family problems of the sort that many of us pray we don't ever face...problems so severe that he apparently considered flipping suicide as a way out. Compared to that, what harm has he done to the world at large for our fans to be so angry about him staying at the club for another year?

I haven't really weighed in on Ade after that. And I'd much rather that all our footballers be good men and women that lead happy lives, than that they only play consistently to impress me and the rest of our fans, and sod off when we want them to. There are genuinely far more important things than that. And if Bentaleb's dealing with some personal issue (just speculation, of course), I don't mind if he plays a bit badly for a while: if, of course, Poch and the club don't mind that as well.

Hallelujah.........how people can not see that this is what happened, given that it happened live on tv (and with replays).....is rather worrying.

Back