• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

If he's good enough he should play if he's not he shouldn't age is irrelevant.

Yeah I like the if you're good enough you're old enough premise too. But with age comes experience. How many top central midfielders are there who are 20? How many in the PL? So all I'm saying is, he's doing alright, but he has a lot more to come. He can still improve and needs to work hard. Clearly his focus wasn't spot on on Saturday. He can work on this, and on shooting etc etc. He can become a star if he develops.

Yeah I like the if you're good enough you're old enough premise too. But with age comes experience. How many top central midfielders are there who are 20? How many in the PL? So all I'm saying is, he's doing alright, but he has a lot more to come. He can still improve and needs to work hard. Clearly his focus wasn't spot on on Saturday. He can work on this, and on shooting etc etc. He can become a star if he develops.

What would you say he excels at? I see him as a promising potential player, but not the star that a lot on here are predicting him to be.

What would you say he excels at? I see him as a promising potential player, but not the star that a lot on here are predicting him to be.

His crisp passing and quick feet are his best attributes. He's also got a decent shot which we're yet to see the best of. I could see Bentaleb developing his presence, imposing himself and running games more often, as well as scoring goals. You would expect him to improve being 20. He's also smart; you could say he's already 'excelling' as he's punching above his weight, better than his peers.

I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing if he drops out the team. It should allow him to reflect, re-group, improve and come back stronger. I think he's a natural fighter - someone who can respond to adversity. Okay he is not a Gerrard or a Rooney, who were scoring freely aged 18. But he's comparable to the likes of Schneiderlin and Carrick and they were not playing at his level aged 20. Carrick showed promise at a similar age, but I think Bentaleb is more advanced, and can be better than Carrick if he can adds goals to his game.

The big break through - 'excelling' - will come if he starts scoring. Long range shots, and well timed late runs into box to score. Add this to his game and his confidence and stock will soar.

Last edited:
Bentaleb might be a solid player, but I haven't seen that spark of brilliance that even a Lamela displays on occasion. And from more defensive players you may not see that, because they quietly do their job by disrupting the opposition's attacks, which isn't always flashy and evident. But from a player that everyone is saying is suited to playing more forward, I would expect to be dazzled at least once in a blue moon. Yet I haven't seen that. I hope I'm the one missing something here, because I truly hope he's all that some folks are claiming he is.

Bentaleb might be a solid player, but I haven't seen that spark of brilliance that even a Lamela displays on occasion. And from more defensive players you may not see that, because they quietly do their job by disrupting the opposition's attacks, which isn't always flashy and evident. But from a player that everyone is saying is suited to playing more forward, I would expect to be dazzled at least once in a blue moon. Yet I haven't seen that. I hope I'm the one missing something here, because I truly hope he's all that some folks are claiming he is.

Does Carrick dazzle you or Schneiderlin? I don't think anyone is saying he's Messi. All they are saying is there is a decent player in Bentaleb and as he's 20 he can still come on and get better.

I think people look far to much for brilliance in Lamela because 90% of the time he has been un acceptably bad. His best attribute is his pressing and work rate as going forward he offers nothing and breaks down our attacks time and time again. A robana just makes me think he is a flashy playground footballer as opposed to anything with world class potential.

Bentelab was EXCELLENT last year and began to display a consistency that was super impressive. He is 6,2 athletic, has a good passing range and when given the opportunity he can drive forward well from midfield. He has a great touch and good feet and has a reasonable football intelligence. He is a young player in a very intense position who started badly, lost confidence and made a stupid error. I still think he still tarred with the Sherwood brush as one bad game and a lot of people seem to be jumping on his case again when I thought last year proved that he is an excellent prospect who should go on to big things with us (or even further if the truth is told)

I think people look far to much for brilliance in Lamela because 90% of the time he has been un acceptably bad. His best attribute is his pressing and work rate as going forward he offers nothing and breaks down our attacks time and time again. A robana just makes me think he is a flashy playground footballer as opposed to anything with world class potential.

Bentelab was EXCELLENT last year and began to display a consistency that was super impressive. He is 6,2 athletic, has a good passing range and when given the opportunity he can drive forward well from midfield. He has a great touch and good feet and has a reasonable football intelligence. He is a young player in a very intense position who started badly, lost confidence and made a stupid error. I still think he still tarred with the Sherwood brush as one bad game and a lot of people seem to be jumping on his case again when I thought last year proved that he is an excellent prospect who should go on to big things with us (or even further if the truth is told)

Without wishing to derail another thread - you can't say a player who creates significantly more chances than anyone bar Eriksen offers nothing going forward, especially when those chances created are converted at a much higher ratio than Eriksens, making Lamela our most effective creative outlet, by a considerable distance, it's factually incorrect and if you insist on repeating it I will continue to correct you.

Without wishing to derail another thread - you can't say a player who creates significantly more chances than anyone bar Eriksen offers nothing going forward, especially when those chances created are converted at a much higher ratio than Eriksens, making Lamela our most effective creative outlet, by a considerable distance, it's factually incorrect and if you insist on repeating it I will continue to correct you.

He is brick and shouldn't be playing for us. He also got a good number of starts and opportunities and all I will say about that is that the wastefulness, stupidity and poor technique outshone almost anything positive. He played relatively well against City, Liverpool, MAYBE arsenal but he is one who people should be worrying about, not Nabil

He is **** and shouldn't be playing for us. He also got a good number of starts and opportunities and all I will say about that is that the wastefulness, stupidity and poor technique outshone almost anything positive. He played relatively well against City, Liverpool, MAYBE Ar5ena1 but he is one who people should be worrying about, not Nabil

I was just pointing out that he does offer something going forward, considerably more than any other player in our team in a creative sense - which in my opinion for a player off the back of his first full season in England having just turned 23 is far from 'brick' - you continue to refuse acknowledging that though if it keeps you happy

Fwiw I have my doubts as to whether you'd be saying the same if he was English or an academy product - which are players who seem to get a great deal of leeway from you, which you seldom afford to others. If Townsend turned in Lamelas performances last season you'd be speaking much higher, I'd bet my house on it.

I was just pointing out that he does offer something going forward, considerably more than any other player in our team in a creative sense - which in my opinion for a player off the back of his first full season in England having just turned 23 is far from '****' - you continue to refuse acknowledging that though if it keeps you happy

Fwiw I have my doubts as to whether you'd be saying the same if he was English or an academy product - which are players who seem to get a great deal of leeway from you, which you seldom afford to others. If Townsend turned in Lamelas performances last season you'd be speaking much higher, I'd bet my house on it.

If I am honest I think Townsend did at least match his performances and I still think he is brick.

Sometimes I do because for me, they represent the heart of the club and part of an academy is to give people the opportunity to develop. I understand the fact that a fee is not a players fault but for me you shouldn't be spending 3 years to blood in a 'world talent.' I dont hate Lamela and I actually like the fact he runs around and tries - however his lack of football intelligence really aggregates me and his wastefulness is shocking.

With Bentelab (seeing as its his thread) - i think he has shown considerably more talent, promise and development than Lamela which was my main point.

Does Carrick dazzle you or Schneiderlin? I don't think anyone is saying he's Messi. All they are saying is there is a decent player in Bentaleb and as he's 20 he can still come on and get better.
No, they don't, but that was exactly my point. According to many, Bentaleb's correct position should not be in the defensive midfield, but further forward, and that he would be excellent there. But when he has played more advanced, I didn't see anything special that would wow me, not even in the odd instance and that is something I would expect from a talented more forward player. In any case, as I said in original post, I do hope I'm wrong and completely missing the picture with him. Nothing I would like more than one of our 20-year olds turning into a superstar in a few years.

Another way of assessing him is to put a price on him, how much would you pay for Bentaleb? A promising 20 year old midfielder who has a season of experience in the PL? What would you pay for Schneiderlin and Carrick who are 6 and 14 years older/more experienced?

Bentaleb is a CM. I would agree he's not suited to a No.10 role, but I don't think he's ever played there for us. Mason would love to slot in further up the pitch.

Last edited:
i don't think bentaleb enjoys poch's system. i believe he prefes to be attacking more than defending, as how he does for his country.

i don't think bentaleb enjoys poch's system. i believe he prefes to be attacking more than defending, as how he does for his country.

I think he certainly excels when he has the chance to push, and given time/reliable partner, we will see much more of that from him.

Another way of assessing him is to put a price on him, how much would you pay for Bentaleb? A promising 20 year old midfielder who has a season of experience in the PL? What would you pay for Schneiderlin and Carrick who are 6 and 14 years older/more experienced?

Bentaleb is a CM. I would agree he's not suited to a No.10 role, but I don't think he's ever played there for us. Mason would love to slot in further up the pitch.

No more than £15m, even that may be a bit steep.

Are you actually talking chances or actual assists?

I'd like to see the chance creations stats personally

Back